Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 11:39 AM

29 posts, read 92,276 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Am relocating from Manchester and am interested in the Middletown, Middlefield, Wallingford area due to close proximity to 91 for commuting. Are there any areas in Middletown to avoid? Saw some properties in the Old Mill St area - older homes but how are the neighborhoods? My son will be starting high school and is used to a large and racially diverse middle school - wouldn't mind a smaller high school. Any input from someone who might live in this area? Housing prices in Middletown seem somewhat reasonable. Thanks for any input you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 10:04 AM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Middletown is a nice town. I used to live there. It has a great downtown with a lot of shops and restaurants. Plus having Wesleyan is a big plus. The high school is pretty big and because Middletown has a mixed population, it has some issues. A lot of people in Middletown send their kids to the Catholic high schools (Mercy for girls, Xavier for boys). There are pockets of problems in Middletown but I can't tell you where to avoid. I know Westfield is very nice and convenient to I-91. The southend is difficult to commute from because Route 9 has traffic problems in the vicinity of the traffic signals in downtown. The northend use to be a problem, but the city is trying to clean it up. Not sure how successful they have been.

Middlefield is a very nice somewhat rural town that shares its high school with Durham. Homes there will be pricey. It is considered to be more upscale than Middletown.

Wallingford is a great town with a lot going for it. It has a lot of stores and restaurants, good schools and is convenient for commuting to Hartford, New Haven, Waterbury or Fairfield County. They have a great community center with a lot of programs for kids and adults. The high schools are not too big and are considered to be good. Good luck. Jay

Old 06-21-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Wallingford it is

Thanks Jay - For your knowledge on Middletown - I'm sure it has some of the same issues as many large towns/small cities but also has a lot to offer as well culturally. Since I'm still considering high school - Wallingford is probably where we'll be focusing. We drove through Middlefield a few weeks back - for the price, I wasn't really all that impressed with the quality of the housing stock for the money - and very few town services considering the higher tax base. Most of the older homes that I saw really lacked any updates and maintenance - not interested in the newer mini mansions. Prefer to update something to my taste. Thanks again!

Old 06-21-2007, 02:15 PM

I agree that Wallingford may be a better choice. It is a great town with a lot to offer. I will let you in on a little secret about Wallingford too. It has its own electric company that has the lowest electric rates in the state. good luck and keep us informed as what happens. Jay

Old 06-21-2007, 06:21 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiant View Post
Thanks Jay - For your knowledge on Middletown - I'm sure it has some of the same issues as many large towns/small cities but also has a lot to offer as well culturally. Since I'm still considering high school - Wallingford is probably where we'll be focusing. We drove through Middlefield a few weeks back - for the price, I wasn't really all that impressed with the quality of the housing stock for the money - and very few town services considering the higher tax base. Most of the older homes that I saw really lacked any updates and maintenance - not interested in the newer mini mansions. Prefer to update something to my taste. Thanks again!
Wallingford is a good choice considering its ample real estate inventory, access to major highways, and electric co-op! There are two high schools that service the town, and, depending on whom you ask, you will get different answers as to which one is better.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:45 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
My wife is from Wallingford and my inlaws are still there - one is a major player in the local government so I get some inside info now and again.

I personally don't like Wallingford. I used to, BUT over time it grew on me as a place that isn't the best, not the worst but thinks it's "all that" has a fairly large "white trash" population who think they arrived because they got out of the Meriden area (Or couldn't afford Durham) and it isnt' sure if it's a burb of Meriden or New Haven so it's just kinda "there". The roads are a mess, sprawl and strip mall development is out of control and I just hate RT5 anytime. LOL

As for high schools, take it for what it's worth but my wife went through hell on a social standpoint and she's about the most balanced person I've ever met. As for academics, I really can't comment.

I used to have my business in Wallyworld and the electric bill will thrill you for sure which is a positive and the highway access is great. The calling area for the local bell is terrible...they must see it as I do, as not a burb of any particular city. Meriden has a larger toll free calling area. Go figure.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:11 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
Yeah, Middletown is alright. The Westfield area is very decent and easy to commute from. There are more 'newer' homes out there than other places in the city. Old Mill Rd is kind of busy-you can find quieter streets in that area.

The high school is fairly diverse. It's moving to a new building out off Newfield St, when it's finished, which is much closer to the Westfield than its current location. Be aware, the middle school is fairly rough. The grade schools out there-Moody, Lawerence and Spencer- are quite good.

Taxes keep going up and they're doing another referendum on the cost of the hs, which has gone WAY over budget and they already raised taxes once to pay for that.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:01 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I personally don't like Wallingford. I used to, BUT over time it grew on me as a place that isn't the best, not the worst but thinks it's "all that" has a fairly large "white trash" population who think they arrived because they got out of the Meriden area (Or couldn't afford Durham) and it isnt' sure if it's a burb of Meriden or New Haven so it's just kinda "there". The roads are a mess, sprawl and strip mall development is out of control and I just hate RT5 anytime. LOL.
I agree. I work in Wallingford a lot so I know the town pretty well (though I have never lived there). From what I hear the schools are decent and all that and there isn't any "bad" area where you would feel unsafe. Most neighborhoods are typical decent middle class areas with a couple run down neighborhoods, but not crime ridden or unsafe. Just ugly. I just feel like the town is devoid of any character. Rt. 5 is ugly as sin unless big box/chain restaurant suburban development is your cup of tea.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I just feel like the town is devoid of any character. Rt. 5 is ugly as sin unless big box/chain restaurant suburban development is your cup of tea.
Wallingford has nice central business district as well as the strip stores along Route 5. It also has a lot of very charming homes around and along Main Street. As for the "big box/chain restaurant suburban development", it does serve a purpose. You do not have to leave town to find what you need at a reasonable price. Nobody likes the look of these places, but an aweful lot of people shop at them. You have to take the good with the bad. JMHO Jay

Old 06-22-2007, 07:20 AM

Default Insider info is much appreciated!

Thanks so much for everyones input into the Wallingford & Middletown! You are a great bunch. This is going to be a tough call finding a town in the middle of our commutes between Vernon & Bridgeport. Because I'm looking at high schools only, the less desireable middle school in Middletown isn't a worry. I've always loved the diversity in Manchester and felt that type of exposure my children have had is a positive thing. After all - the world is a very diverse place and we all need to learn to live & work together despite our differences and economics, correct? I do have to agree with some of your views on Wallingford - I did drive around and really found little charm in the areas that I saw (Rte 5 is ugly). However, there are people from the town that love it for certain reason, so I need to give it a fair chance. We'll see where we land!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut