Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 05:07 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,491 times

Advertisements

Hi,

How is Shelton in terms of crime/safety. I have been through and it seems OK. Ansonia and derby seem a little more run down.

Are these town similiar to Torrington in terms of safety/crime?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 06:06 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Hi,

How is Shelton in terms of crime/safety. I have been through and it seems OK. Ansonia and derby seem a little more run down.

Are these town similiar to Torrington in terms of safety/crime?

Thanks!
I don't know what Torrington is like but I know that most parts of Shelton are relatively crime free. Downtown Shelton has their share of sketchy tenants, but generally the most crime you'll find are some drugs here and there. Once you stray from the immediate Howe Ave/downtown area Shelton is a fairly upscale community with very little crime.

Derby and Ansonia are similar to downtown Shelton with regards crime (very little). Most areas of these cities are working to middle class, especially on the Hilltop (which is actually quite nice). One area you'll absolutely want to stay away from is Olsen Drive in Ansonia - this area has a public housing project that has given Ansonia a bad name in past years. Currently the city is in the process of relocating residents and tearing down the Riverside Apartments which should clean up the city a lot.

I know Shelton pretty well so let us know if you have anymore questions.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:27 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Great response. I would just add that I don't think the crime in any of these towns including Torrington is that bad. It is mostly minor things like Kidyankee noted. Of the towns listed though, Shelton is clearly the most upscale and desirable. I remember years ago Shelton being a grubby mill town but it has since cleaned itself up a LOT. Now it is considered a desirable place to live. Jay

Old 02-03-2010, 08:05 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,491 times
Thanks for the feedback Kid + Jay.

I have to disagree about Torringon, crime there has increased a lot. I know this from Teachers I know at Torrington high and some residents. There has been an increase in gangs, from waterbury.

I assumed Ansonia was a lot worse based on the housing prices, which were significantly lower then Shelton. I was considering buying a house or a double decker and renting. How does the housing market look in that area?

Old 02-03-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Thanks for the feedback Kid + Jay.

I have to disagree about Torringon, crime there has increased a lot. I know this from Teachers I know at Torrington high and some residents. There has been an increase in gangs, from waterbury.

I assumed Ansonia was a lot worse based on the housing prices, which were significantly lower then Shelton. I was considering buying a house or a double decker and renting. How does the housing market look in that area?
The Valley is actually the first affordable non-urban area coming up from Southwestern CT and NYC. Lately these towns are becoming desirable to commuters. When the revitalization of Derby is complete in the downtown area, I see very good things happening. Currently I don't think Ansonia and Derby have seen the spike in real estate that has been experienced in other Valley towns like Shelton and Seymour.

Ansonia really isn't that bad. Olsen Drive is sketchy and there are a few sketchy neighborhoods behind Olsen drive that I'd advise you to stay away from.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:53 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Ansonia really isn't that bad. Olsen Drive is sketchy and there are a few sketchy neighborhoods behind Olsen drive that I'd advise you to stay away from.

I agree. Ansonia isn't bad overall. As far as Olsen goes, it isn't hard-core "violent" either. The things that work against Ansonia are the school system, and its weathered general appearance. Still though, more areas are safe than not.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I agree. Ansonia isn't bad overall. As far as Olsen goes, it isn't hard-core "violent" either. The things that work against Ansonia are the school system, and its weathered general appearance. Still though, more areas are safe than not.
I never understood why Ansonia doesn't try to clean up its downtown. It is very historic and can actually be really thriving if they put some elbow grease into it. I guess the residents need to support it though; there are many elderly residents of Ansonia who are pretty content with the way their town is.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:05 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
Quote:
I never understood why Ansonia doesn't try to clean up its downtown. It is very historic and can actually be really thriving if they put some elbow grease into it. I guess the residents need to support it though; there are many elderly residents of Ansonia who are pretty content with the way their town is.
It always struck me as being one of the most desolate downtowns in the area. I never really noticed a "dirtiness" down there, slightly gritty maybe. Depressingly quiet and forgotten would probably be my description of it.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:13 PM

59 posts, read 100,012 times
Safe is anywhere but the following....

Ansonia: Between west of downtown and east of Wakelee Ave and north of Division.

Derby: behind downtown and just south of downtown along 34.

Shelton: Howe ave around downtown.

As you can see the core Valley towns need to do a lot of sprucing up. You are much better off north of the Valley in Seymour but homes are more expensive.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:19 PM

59 posts, read 100,012 times
Quote:
The Valley is actually the first affordable non-urban area coming up from Southwestern CT and NYC. Lately these towns are becoming desirable to commuters. When the revitalization of Derby is complete in the downtown area, I see very good things happening. Currently I don't think Ansonia and Derby have seen the spike in real estate that has been experienced in other Valley towns like Shelton and Seymour.

Wrong. Ansonia and Derby are expensive now and that is part of the problem because they offer nothing in return for the high real estate. Not as expensive as Seymour but Seymour is much better for a family and has a nice town togetherness feel. Were looking to move to either Seymour or Beacon Falls, need to get OUT of Derby before the kids hit high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut