Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 10:47 AM

354 posts, read 712,772 times

Advertisements

Exactly my point. I'm not even staying here, but right now, it is the hot place to be for a lot of people--esp. those looking for a business friendly environment. Because there's no state income taxes, five fortune 500 companies have chosen to make their home in SA alone. There are pros and cons to both places, but I was just offering an alternative to the OP as to where to go--alot of us have exited the Northeast and moved south. This is a fact. There is more migration out of the Northeast and into TX than to the Northeast--why is this?
My take is that TX generally has fared much better than a lot of other states during this recession, and there are beaches and mountains in the state (it is a big state) and I like having much more disposable income because I'm not spending it all on housing. Oh, and btw, not all of San Antonio looks like that (and not all of Hartford looks like those other pics). Here's an example(from the Stone Oak area) below. Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking of moving out of CT. It's too expensive.-untitled.bmp  

Last edited by mayalevi; 07-27-2010 at 11:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 10:59 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,634,472 times
Who would stay in CT? It's so boring.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
To each his own, I say. More room for us here in the sunbelt.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:07 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,157,738 times
I must say how amazed I was at the highway pics of San Antonio - particularly the one that looked like a "slide" with the incline.

Did that make sense? I've just never seen anything like that before and it looks pretty neat.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I must say how amazed I was at the highway pics of San Antonio - particularly the one that looked like a "slide" with the incline.

Did that make sense? I've just never seen anything like that before and it looks pretty neat.
Stone Oak and the majority of Northern San Antonio abuts the Hill Country--so named because of the huge mountains and canyons in that area. It is also up near Canyon Lake. The hilliness of the terrain is because of this geographic feature. Outside of the El Paso area, it is one of the few areas in South Central TX with appreciable mountain views and inclines. Other than that, if you are looking for mountains you have to head a little bit farther west--in the W. TX area and going towards New Mexico. You start to see little mesas as you keep going west.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:59 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,022,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayalevi View Post
Here's an example(from the Stone Oak area) below. Cheers!
LOL All I see in that pic are subdivision walls, divided blvds and apartment complexes; exactly what I said. Hey if that's your thing good for you. Not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well after living and visiting around the country, I would disagree. Granted until you pass the "pub crawl and puke" stage and learn to appreciate art, culture, history, and outdoor sports etc I can see how one can think that.

I personally can't find the time to do everything I want to in the area.

And hey lets be genuine here...what's 1.5 hours away from San Antonio? Nuthin...oh wait, the Mexican border.

What's within 1.5 hours of Hartford? NYC, Boston, Providence, Mystic, New Haven, Brattleboro VT, Keene NH, Berkshire Mountains, Green Mountains, Rhode Island shore, Block Island etc etc Being that the New England states are so small, things are condensed and going to another state can be a 20 minute affair.

Quote:
Stone Oak and the majority of Northern San Antonio abuts the Hill Country--so named because of the huge mountains and canyons in that area. It is also up near Canyon Lake.
Okay, now it's starting to get a little deep. "Huge mountains and canyons" outside San Antonio? Whatever.

You mean the "hill country" that has vertical elevations (NOT above sea level elevations...VERTICAL elevations) of around 1000'? Huge? Hardly. And places like Jack Mountain are 1.5 hours away. That's great and all, and sure beats Florida but I wouldn't put it exactly the way you have.

Besides, it's too damned hot to do anything outside!

Old 07-27-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
LOL All I see in that pic are subdivision walls, divided blvds and apartment complexes; exactly what I said. Hey if that's your thing good for you. Not me.

Well after living and visiting around the country, I would disagree. Granted until you pass the "pub crawl and puke" stage and learn to appreciate art, culture, history, and outdoor sports etc I can see how one can think that.

I personally can't find the time to do everything I want to in the area.

And hey lets be genuine here...what's 1.5 hours away from San Antonio? Nuthin...oh wait, the Mexican border.

What's within 1.5 hours of Hartford? NYC, Boston, Providence, Mystic, New Haven, Brattleboro VT, Keene NH, Berkshire Mountains, Green Mountains, Rhode Island shore, Block Island etc etc Being that the New England states are so small, things are condensed and going to another state is can be a 20 minute affair.

Okay, now it's starting to get a little deep. "Huge mountains and canyons" outside San Antonio? Whatever.

You mean the "hill country" that has vertical elevations (NOT above sea level elevations...VERTICAL elevations) of around 1000'? Huge? Hardly. And places like Jack Mountain are 1.5 hours away. That's great and all, and sure beats Florida but I wouldn't put it exactly the way you have.

Besides, it's too damned hot to do anything outside!
Boy, he is something, isn't he? Sometimes you just have to smile and nod. Okay, I'm off to go hiking with my dogs in the Guadalupe River Area(as pictured). Also, 1.5 hrs from San Antonio is Austin (live music capitol of the world, and South by Southwest Film Fest), Corpus Christi(fishing, the beach), Bandera, Boerne, Canyon Lake, Kerrville, Fredericksburg(wine and vineyards)..the list goes on....
Anyway, the pic below is the Guadalupe River, which, BTW, is part of the Texas Hill Country which JVIELLO believes
for some reason does not exist Cheers!

Last edited by mayalevi; 07-27-2010 at 12:27 PM..

Old 07-27-2010, 12:03 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,022,612 times
Quote:
Boy, he is something, isn't he?
Thank you. Indeed you do sometimes have to smile and nod Enjoy your swea...walk.

Tell John Haggee I said "hello".

Old 07-27-2010, 12:30 PM

21,638 posts, read 31,257,534 times
Sorry to say but all of the photos being posted of TX look drab and boring.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Sorry to say but all of the photos being posted of TX look drab and boring.
Funny, that's exactly what I was thinking about CT! Que paso?!
Too funny, gotta get outta here and head up to the Guadalupe. Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut