Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:21 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Did anyone hear that UTC is going to cut 1,500 more jobs in CT soon? And Healthnet is cutting 1,400 jobs soon, in CT. Yikes!! CT current ranks 48th in job creation.
United Technologies did not announce where the jobs were being cut. Obviously, Connecticut will be effected, but all the jobs cut will not be here. On the other hand Lego in Enfield announce expansion and hiring...

While CT, never experiences explosive growth, it doesn't experience serious contraction either... "The land of steady habits..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 09:24 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
"The land of steady habits..."
Bingo. This is why we're chugging along in this crap of an economy. We're doing better than the vast majority of states.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:32 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
United Technologies did not announce where the jobs were being cut. Obviously, Connecticut will be effected, but all the jobs cut will not be here. On the other hand Lego in Enfield announce expansion and hiring...

While CT, never experiences explosive growth, it doesn't experience serious contraction either... "The land of steady habits..."
That's not true. My friend works at UTC (Hamilton Sunstrand) in Windsor Locks and said that all 1,500 job cuts will be in CT.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:38 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Did anyone hear that UTC is going to cut 1,500 more jobs in CT soon? And Healthnet is cutting 1,400 jobs soon, in CT. Yikes!! CT current ranks 48th in job creation.
I don’t think that anyone would consider Connecticut a hot bed of job opportunities. But to be fair, I read an article a while back (about the current bad economy), that a lot of the jobs being created in the parts of the country that have the most jobs are lower wage jobs…less than $10 hr. On the other hand, the few jobs that get filled in CT…a larger % of jobs have higher wages. We just heard today from our young cousin who got an admin assistant job today right after graduation from Southern CT State University (she’s 24)…and the starting salary was $40,000 yr. Somehow I don’t think she would make that in TX or Florida as a starting salary.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:07 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I don’t think that anyone would consider Connecticut a hot bed of job opportunities. But to be fair, I read an article a while back (about the current bad economy), that a lot of the jobs being created in the parts of the country that have the most jobs are lower wage jobs…less than $10 hr. On the other hand, the few jobs that get filled in CT…a larger % of jobs have higher wages. We just heard today from our young cousin who got an admin assistant job today right after graduation from Southern CT State University (she’s 24)…and the starting salary was $40,000 yr. Somehow I don’t think she would make that in TX or Florida as a starting salary.
That's true. Although job openings in CT are scarce now, they do pay well. I was unemployed for 4 months and landed a great job in April that paid even more than what I was making before lol. I only had a total of 2 job interviews, too. Go figure.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:53 PM

543 posts, read 1,901,218 times
I just read somewhere that the states with the lowest unemployment are Nebraska, North Dakota and South Dakota but like the other posters said how much do they pay and really, who wants to live there? It's the west coast or east coast for me!

Old 07-27-2010, 11:02 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,983 times
Much of the reason why Connecticut had such low job growth is because we didn't have a housing boom. Construction and Mineral Extraction (while important) were driving much of the economies of the South and West while advances in technology, electricity costs, and shifts in demand put pressures on Manufacturing here. But, at the same time salaries were increasing, debt as a % of income shrunk, and job growth matched our population all things that became what the Northeast has been for decades but fairly unique in relation to the rest of the country. So while "job growth" was weak it was only a fraction of the story.

I'm sure Nebraska and the Dakotas are lovely and I'm sure most of the people there like it, though :P.

~Cheers

Old 07-28-2010, 12:35 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Interesting, I lived in Austin for 17 years, and I think JViello's description is very accurate.
Your view might be shaded by your total hatred of Texas.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:37 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I havn't found paradise yet, but New England is pretty damned unique.
Unique is one possibility, except that it's either unique or it's not; there are no shades.

I would suggest peculiar.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:43 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,577,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post

TIA..........
Yes, should have been about 10 pages ago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut