Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 06:03 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,400,582 times

Advertisements

I recently spent a week in Connecticut and found some items rather surprising.
7 years ago, the state of Connecticut was part of my territory, which I spent many a night in the great city of Hartford, by the way is Maxx's restaurant still there?
During that time, Connecticut was much higher in Real Estate and taxation than Georgia. Move forward 7 years and much has changed. I noticed driving around the Hartford area to Mohegan looking at neighborhoods and the real estate book, that Real Estate prices were equal to or maybe 10% higher on average than the current Atlanta market. Upon further research I noticed now that personal income tax in Connecticut is 5% and Georgia is 6%
Of course as for crime, I will not even go there only to say Georgia can be described today as the Detroit of the South.

My question is what are the property taxes like from Hartford to Norwich?
Is this the secret shocker? Granted the south is being invaded by cars touting NJ,NY,and Mass plates in addition to Mexico, but I have only seen one CT car in the last 2 years.

Info would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 06:51 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,018,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
I recently spent a week in Connecticut and found some items rather surprising.
7 years ago, the state of Connecticut was part of my territory, which I spent many a night in the great city of Hartford, by the way is Maxx's restaurant still there?
During that time, Connecticut was much higher in Real Estate and taxation than Georgia. Move forward 7 years and much has changed. I noticed driving around the Hartford area to Mohegan looking at neighborhoods and the real estate book, that Real Estate prices were equal to or maybe 10% higher on average than the current Atlanta market. Upon further research I noticed now that personal income tax in Connecticut is 5% and Georgia is 6%
Of course as for crime, I will not even go there only to say Georgia can be described today as the Detroit of the South.

My question is what are the property taxes like from Hartford to Norwich?
Is this the secret shocker? Granted the south is being invaded by cars touting NJ,NY,and Mass plates in addition to Mexico, but I have only seen one CT car in the last 2 years.

Info would be appreciated

Eastern Connecticut is indeed a very popular part of the state.
I live in Tolland county- an example of what I pay for property taxes is;

An 1100 square foot townhouse built 15 years ago- market value around 170K
Taxes are $2049 a year. Property is taxed on an assessed value of $55,800; with a mill rate of 36.70
Taxes vary in each town, from in Vernon to Norwich. Property taxes generally here will be higher then Georgia-
however because of the rapid growth in the south, taxes will need to be raised to pay for the services demanded by the newcomers.

Median home prices in the Hartford area and eastern Connecticut are around 250K- a few towns like Glastonbury are higher. It might be best to call the individual town you are interested in (the assessors office) for mill rates and how they are calculated.

Tolland county CT is a very inexpensive place to live- with many older homes and new homes being built that are very attractively priced.

Yes crime is VERY low- there are some very nice towns like Willington, Bolton, and Stafford Springs that are close enough to Hartford- but offer a very peaceful rural lifestyle with little traffic.

Connecticut has a state income tax of around 4.5%,A sales tax of 6%-groceries and prescription drugs are not taxed. Autos are taxed once a year-on their assessed value by the town you live in.

Hartford and east to the Rhode Island border is for the most part beyond Vernon rural and pastoral with farms, wineries and small towns.

Feel free to inquire more regarding eastern Connecticut- known as the 'Quiet Corner. PM for any further questions.

The Quiet Corner, also known as Northeastern Connecticut, is a region of the state of Connecticut, located in the northeastern corner of the state. It is generally associated with Windham County, but also incorporates eastern sections of Tolland County and the northern portion of New London County. The most frequently cited boundary is the semi-rural town of Coventry, which is noticeably more rustic in character than the more suburban towns to the west.

The Quiet Corner is known for being underpopulated and isolated in contrast with the rest of Connecticut, with many of its towns having populations below 5,000. It received its name from its status as an area largely comprised of rural and semi-rural towns containing large areas of farmland, rivers and lakes, and state forests. It forms one of the least-urbanized districts along the Boston-Washington, D.C. Corridor, and has a crime rate that is generally much lower than that of the rest of Connecticut.

The region is far more similar to the rest of New England than other parts of the state. As the towns in the area are at least a two-and-a-half hour drive from New York City, there's no commercial or cultural connection to that city. It is furthermore the only section of the state without any significant population of New York transplants. Ancestral demographics tend to be similar to New Hampshire and Maine, with the most common genealogies being French Canadian and Irish.

The region is popular with tourists for its traditional New England scenery, culture, and bed and breakfasts, and is especially noted for its many antique shops. Major attractions in the Quiet Corner include the main University of Connecticut campus in Storrs; Route 169, a National Scenic Byway running north-and-south through the region; the Prudence Crandall House Museum in Canterbury; the Nathan Hale Homestead in Coventry; and the many antiques shops of Pomfret, Putnam, and Woodstock.

Last edited by skytrekker; 06-26-2007 at 07:00 PM..

Old 06-26-2007, 08:34 PM
sun

683 posts, read 2,124,718 times
Someone recently posted this helpful reference link to basic CT town by town statistical information profiles. Just click on the county and then the individual town, and look at the 2nd page of statistics for real estate and local taxation rates & other relevant facts.

http://www.cerc.com/townprofiles.html

Old 06-27-2007, 06:15 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,400,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post

Taxes are $2049 a year. Property is taxed on an assessed value of $55,800; with a mill rate of 36.70
Taxes vary in each town, from in Vernon to Norwich. Property taxes generally here will be higher then Georgia-
however because of the rapid growth in the south, taxes will need to be raised to pay for the services demanded by the newcomers.

Median home prices in the Hartford area and eastern Connecticut are around 250K- a few towns like Glastonbury are higher. It might be best to call the individual town you are interested in (the assessors office) for mill rates and how they are calculated.

Tolland county CT is a very inexpensive place to live- with many older homes and new homes being built that are very attractively priced.

Yes crime is VERY low- there are some very nice towns like Willington, Bolton, and Stafford Springs that are close enough to Hartford- but offer a very peaceful rural lifestyle with little traffic.

Connecticut has a state income tax of around 4.5%,A sales tax of 6%-groceries and prescription drugs are not taxed. Autos are taxed once a year-on their assessed value by the town you live in.

Hartford and east to the Rhode Island border is for the most part beyond Vernon rural and pastoral with farms, wineries and small towns.

Feel free to inquire more regarding eastern Connecticut- known as the 'Quiet Corner. PM for any further questions.

The Quiet Corner, also known as Northeastern Connecticut, is a region of the state of Connecticut, located in the northeastern corner of the state. It is generally associated with Windham County, but also incorporates eastern sections of Tolland County and the northern portion of New London County. The most frequently cited boundary is the semi-rural town of Coventry, which is noticeably more rustic in character than the more suburban towns to the west.

The Quiet Corner is known for being underpopulated and isolated in contrast with the rest of Connecticut, with many of its towns having populations below 5,000. It received its name from its status as an area largely comprised of rural and semi-rural towns containing large areas of farmland, rivers and lakes, and state forests. It forms one of the least-urbanized districts along the Boston-Washington, D.C. Corridor, and has a crime rate that is generally much lower than that of the rest of Connecticut.

The region is far more similar to the rest of New England than other parts of the state. As the towns in the area are at least a two-and-a-half hour drive from New York City, there's no commercial or cultural connection to that city. It is furthermore the only section of the state without any significant population of New York transplants. Ancestral demographics tend to be similar to New Hampshire and Maine, with the most common genealogies being French Canadian and Irish.

The region is popular with tourists for its traditional New England scenery, culture, and bed and breakfasts, and is especially noted for its many antique shops. Major attractions in the Quiet Corner include the main University of Connecticut campus in Storrs; Route 169, a National Scenic Byway running north-and-south through the region; the Prudence Crandall House Museum in Canterbury; the Nathan Hale Homestead in Coventry; and the many antiques shops of Pomfret, Putnam, and Woodstock.
Thanks Sky!

From review it is looking more like Connecticut beats Georgia! The main reason I was asking is because I may have a transfer opportunity in a couple years. I thought Georgia was my final spot (7 transfers with the same company in 20 years) but Georgia seems to be going in one direction and not a good one.

Our growth rate in the Atlanta metro area is 130,000 per year. Traffic makes driving into the GW look like a walk in the park, illegals are running the area over, the AJC paper states that we have an estimated 500,000 illegals in the Atlanta area alone now, and one hospital (Atlanta's largest) is on the verge of bankruptcy due to this and the drug gangs shooting each other on a daily basis. Crime is becoming so rampant that the 6 am news starts each day spending the first 15 minutes on how many murders, rapes, and assaults happened the night before.

As for here, my home is a single family 2800 sqaure footage with property taxes at 3200.00 per year.
Housing for decent neighborhood here, and you must check your neighborhoods closely now, will average 300K
Income tax is 6%
We pay an annual car tax. My two "commuter cars" ran $600.00 last year just to renew my tags. For those with a Lexus you can pay up to $1500.00 per year just to renew your tags for two.
Sales tax is 6-8% depending upon county on everything but food.
On food it is 2% and up to 4% depending upon your county.

Your right, I only seeing things getting higher each day due to the influx.

Trust me when I say the South is not the Utopia most in the north think.
Not to mention, nothing is more beautiful than New England no matter the season.

Thanks again for the information

Old 06-27-2007, 06:49 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,325,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Someone recently posted this helpful reference link to basic CT town by town statistical information profiles. Just click on the county and then the individual town, and look at the 2nd page of statistics for real estate and local taxation rates & other relevant facts.

http://www.cerc.com/townprofiles.html
Good link, thank you.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:50 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,373 times
That is a great website sun, thanks for the link. I'll give you another "for example." I live in Marlborough, which is less than 20 miles from Hartford and about 25 minutes from Norwich, located on Rt. 2. I have an average sized 3BR house (<2,000 SF) on a lot that is <1.5 acres. My property taxes are about $3,300 annually. They just went up last year to that figure, but my small town has a lower tax rate than others in the area since it is small and doesn't have that many services (no public trash pick-up, volunteer ambulance and fire dept.).

The good news for you is that Max is still around! The Max Restaurant Group has restaurants in Hartford still as well as Glastonbury, West Hartford...and I forget where else. They are all really good.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:04 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
I live in Glastonbury in a 2,400 s.f. home on 1/3 of an acre. Glastonbury is considered to be one of Hartford's most desired suburbs with excellent schools, nice parks, good shopping and restaurants and a lot of family oriented activities. My taxes are around $6000 per year and our car taxes add another $900 to that. I do not think that is that bad given what we get.

As for Max's, yes it is still downtown. Thye may have moved since you were here though, but it is the same great restaurant it always has been. It is now located in City Place, across from the Civic Center (another place you will not recognize). Max's does have several other restaurants, but I beleive most were around 7 years ago. Max's Oyster Bar in West Hartford Center is the newest. It has excellent seafood. They are opening a similar restaurant here in Glastonbury in the fall. Can't wait. Jay

Old 06-27-2007, 09:55 AM

Sun

yes that is a great site for a stats addict like me- and the good thing is that it shows growth in eastern CT to be slow- but growing-best of all worlds.

thanks

Old 06-27-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Thanks Sky!

From review it is looking more like Connecticut beats Georgia! The main reason I was asking is because I may have a transfer opportunity in a couple years. I thought Georgia was my final spot (7 transfers with the same company in 20 years) but Georgia seems to be going in one direction and not a good one.

Our growth rate in the Atlanta metro area is 130,000 per year. Traffic makes driving into the GW look like a walk in the park, illegals are running the area over, the AJC paper states that we have an estimated 500,000 illegals in the Atlanta area alone now, and one hospital (Atlanta's largest) is on the verge of bankruptcy due to this and the drug gangs shooting each other on a daily basis. Crime is becoming so rampant that the 6 am news starts each day spending the first 15 minutes on how many murders, rapes, and assaults happened the night before.

As for here, my home is a single family 2800 sqaure footage with property taxes at 3200.00 per year.
Housing for decent neighborhood here, and you must check your neighborhoods closely now, will average 300K
Income tax is 6%
We pay an annual car tax. My two "commuter cars" ran $600.00 last year just to renew my tags. For those with a Lexus you can pay up to $1500.00 per year just to renew your tags for two.
Sales tax is 6-8% depending upon county on everything but food.
On food it is 2% and up to 4% depending upon your county.

Your right, I only seeing things getting higher each day due to the influx.

Trust me when I say the South is not the Utopia most in the north think.
Not to mention, nothing is more beautiful than New England no matter the season.

Thanks again for the information
Good luck Georgia

in whatever decision you make.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:02 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post

Coming from living in the South myself and returning to CT, I can honestly say I think you are spot on in your analysis. I've spent a lot of time in ATL on business and pleasure (Lived in Charlotte and ATL was the only place to get some real food at the time.) BUT it is not the place it used to be and quickly becoming what people were escaping in the first place.

My home taxes are about $5200 a year, but I live in a smaller city with many services so the mill is a little higher than some towns. (Even though I live on the edge of town with little of those services provided. lol)

Overall, with the salaries generally being higher, and the quality of life IMO being much high, even if it cost me a little more in the end - it's a price I'm willing to pay.

Also, if you have not been to Hartford in 7 years, be prepared to not recognize a LOT. Tons of development has gone on and there are no signs of it stopping short. IMHO Hartford is on track to be the new superstar city of it's size in New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut