Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,296 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to CT October 1st for work and I wont know anyone, to make it tougher to meet people I will be working from home. That being said, Where would be a good place for a 25 year old to live? Right now I'm leaniing towards Stamford, if you know of a better city let me know.

Also - are there any good athletic facilites out there? gyms?

And does anyone have any good apartments for someone my age to look at? Trying to keep it under 2k but would like to have people around my agin in the apartments.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 11:48 AM

35,012 posts, read 57,105,372 times
Stamford would be an excellent choice. It is a nice upscale small city with a lot of nice apartments in your price range. I don't have any specific recommendations but I would suggest downtown would be best for activity. I think it has just about everything you would need. Jay

Old 09-01-2010, 11:52 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,892,714 times
Stamford is the most expensive city in the state. If you don't need to live there, New Haven is less expensive and the singles crowd is a little younger than the one in Stamford, IMHO.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:16 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,983,331 times
To a newcomer, New Haven isn't really an upscale or safe place in general. I would stick with Stamford. It's beautiful, upscale, safe and surrounded by nicer towns than New Haven. The singles crowd in New Haven probably is younger, but it depends on how social of a person you are. If you're not a bar/club type and can afford a $2,000 a month apartment, go with Stamford, hands down IMO. For reference, I am a 26 year old gay male.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:46 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,892,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
If you're not a bar/club type and can afford a $2,000 a month apartment, go with Stamford, hands down IMO.
The OP actually said under $2K. I assumed that she was looking for a 2Br., seeing as she'll need a home office. It's possible to get a 2Br. at that budget in Stamford, but you won't get it in the "nice" modern buildings that are close to the action in Stamford.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:07 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,983,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
The OP actually said under $2K. I assumed that she was looking for a 2Br., seeing as she'll need a home office. It's possible to get a 2Br. at that budget in Stamford, but you won't get it in the "nice" modern buildings that are close to the action in Stamford.
I know. When I said $2,000, I implied up to and including $2K.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:10 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,095,155 times
Stamford is nice plus you're a relatively short ride away from new York City. We moved up here from Long island a few years ago, we love it. Different life style altogether, but I'm up by Hartford now. We're married in our 40's no kids so I never checked out the singles scene up here. It's definitely quieter than NY though. If you can afford it, Stamford is a good choice. New Haven isn't the greatest.

Good luck!

Old 09-01-2010, 02:27 PM

220 posts, read 525,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
To a newcomer, New Haven isn't really an upscale or safe place in general. I would stick with Stamford. It's beautiful, upscale, safe and surrounded by nicer towns than New Haven. The singles crowd in New Haven probably is younger, but it depends on how social of a person you are. If you're not a bar/club type and can afford a $2,000 a month apartment, go with Stamford, hands down IMO. For reference, I am a 26 year old gay male.
No, New Haven isn't particularly upscale compared to Fairfield County, but I also wouldn't call it unsafe to newcomers. I have not had a problem since moving, and like the OP, I am in my mid-twenties. None of my coworkers are native to New Haven - they have also been fine. It is disheartening to see people portraying the entire city of New Haven as unsafe - there are safe, nice neighborhoods here, as well as not-so-safe neighborhoods, just like any other city in the country.

I agree that Stamford probably does better suit the OP's situation for athletic facilities and apartments, particularly with that type of budget and working from home. It is possible in New Haven, but our gyms are just mediocre and it can be difficult to meet people without a school or office to use as a starting point.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:07 AM

588 posts, read 1,322,676 times
Stamford is definitely your best bet - depending on where you'll be working you can try SoNo (South Norwalk) also, but I prefer Stamford.

It's a small city, similar to White Plains, with a lot of restaurants, bars, hi-rise apts. There's a big New York Sports Club w/an indor lap pool, but I'm sure there are a lot of other gyms too. Look for an Avalon building - they're all nice, but also not cheap. I'd rather be in a 1 bdrm in an Avalon building that a 2 bdrm in some random house apt, but there are plenty of options. Be sure to go in person to look for a place, don't rely on photos. Not all parts of Stamford are nice, and not all parts are close to downtown. From I95, stay away from apts near exit 6 (sketchy) and exit 9 - it's more residential. 7/8 are the downtown exits.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:11 AM

3 posts, read 5,704 times
Hi:
I have seen this site before: www.meetup.com, and although I have not use it, there seems to be all kinds of groups that meet with different interests such as dining, exercising, movies, etc. Seems like fun and a good idea for somebody like you who works at home to be able to go out and meet people once you move. Hope it helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut