Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 07:52 PM

83,525 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

Did I hear snow? lol.
Maybe Nov. 9th. Shhh. Just put on snowtires today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 08:06 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
People these days appreciate the value of gold. Bring all your neighbors a gold bar, if you want to start off on the right foot.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:18 PM

83,525 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
People these days appreciate the value of gold. Bring all your neighbors a gold bar, if you want to start off on the right foot.
Like I said...it doesn't matter...crooked people wont change their lifestyle because you bring over a gold bar. Their kids will keep throwing a hardball onto your fence. They'll still blast hard rock music outdoor speakers all day with no break. They'll still keep their boat running as they wash it in their driveway...

My point is no matter how nice you want to be, people wont change.

ct4life brings up great point...snow...they'll see you shoveling but if they dont come over they are just respecting your space...so do the same for them...

If I'm shoveling or mowing, dont talk to me, just wave. LOL Uh oh Konig1985 is going to ask if I would snowplow over them. lol

Old 10-27-2010, 08:46 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
how to say the 1st hello to your neighbors?

Walk up to their front door, either knock or ring the doorbell and introduce yourself to whomever answers.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:44 PM

680 posts, read 1,576,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Like I said...it doesn't matter...crooked people wont change their lifestyle because you bring over a gold bar. Their kids will keep throwing a hardball onto your fence. They'll still blast hard rock music outdoor speakers all day with no break. They'll still keep their boat running as they wash it in their driveway...

My point is no matter how nice you want to be, people wont change.

ct4life brings up great point...snow...they'll see you shoveling but if they dont come over they are just respecting your space...so do the same for them...

If I'm shoveling or mowing, dont talk to me, just wave. LOL Uh oh Konig1985 is going to ask if I would snowplow over them. lol
You already said you are shoveling, I guess you will smile at them, wait for them to turn around after all the inane chat on weather and kids and hit them on the back of their head with the shovel the old fashioned way.

Now because you mentioned it, I will be extra careful not to turn around after saying farewell to my neighbor.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:27 AM

34 posts, read 92,196 times
hi,
well this is a tough task in some situations when your neighbour makes faces every now and then, when ever you are around. But I think to start a healthy relation we should take first step by inviting him for dinner.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:14 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
When we moved into our home, one of our neighbors came over to say hello when he saw me blowing leaves. He said he didn't want to interrupt but just wanted to introduce himself - I stopped what I was doing and we ended up introducing our families and having a few beers. We're pretty good friends now and when we went away in April, he got our mail and took our garbage out. He's pretty handy and I'm just learning a lot of things, so he's been showing me the ropes of being a homeowner. Most of our neighborhood is like this.

The people on the other side of me, however, are very strange. Introverted, paranoid and unfriendly. I've attempted to go over and say hi but they seem to go away as quick as possible. I still wave though. One of their shutters has been falling off for months now and I just want to go over and fix it.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:15 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
This has turned into a very entertaining thread! I always try to bring over some homemade fattening, unhealthy brownies to newcomers that live within a few houses of me. Either that, or some kind of flowering annual in a hanging basket. I give people a few weeks to settle in. Once a new neighbor beat me to the punch and knocked on my door first instead, bringing her kids and introducing themselves. It only takes a few minutes to stop by and say hi. Most people prefer to meet their neighbors, if I had one that looked ready to hit me with his shovel I'd think twice about helping him out one day when he needed it. We have some neighbors that are not particularly friendly, and once while they were on vacation their shed door blew open. I watched it swinging in the breeze all week, and ignored it. Had they been nicer I would have shut it for them.

It's interesting how different people can feel about this issue----we once had new neighbors that sold their home in a matter of months. They were not my immediate neighbors, but slightly around the corner, and it was in the middle of winter so I hadn't met them yet. They packed up and moved, telling their next door neighbors that the neighborhood wasn't friendly enough. I can't imagine going to all the bother and expense of moving again just hoping to find the "perfect" neighborhood.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:22 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The people on the other side of me, however, are very strange. Introverted, paranoid and unfriendly. I've attempted to go over and say hi but they seem to go away as quick as possible.
Most of the neighbors around my street are like this. I don't think they realize how they come across to someone who just wants to say hi. Never know when you'll need a neighbor.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:18 AM

181 posts, read 906,027 times
If you have kids, often the parents chat while waiting for the school bus. This also lets your kids know who the neighbors are on the block.

Wilton has a Newcomers group that while it won't help you meet neighbors on you block is a nice way to meet others new to the community. Many in the group have lived in town for several years as well so they can be a resource.
Wilton Newcomers Club

If you need babysitters, PM me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut