Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 12:55 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times

Advertisements

We had a lot of kids come for candy again this year. I love it!

What's nice is that we're in a 4-street cul-de-sac, where there are a lot of kids. Also, because of the quiet, safe nature of a cul-de-sac, I think a lot of parents bring their kids here so that they can roam around safely. It's GREAT fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 03:52 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,734 times
Hi--live in Beacon Falls---we had about 105 kids this year (yes I count) and they made the rounds from 6pm to 8pm. All the neighbors participate. As for playing outside---yes in good weather the kids are out playing basketball, bike riding, swimming in pools, swinging, etc.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:09 PM

158 posts, read 215,792 times
105!! That's huge! We had, wait for it.... 4! Yes, I can count too.

Oh & Pumpkins, for carving were $25 in the supermarket!!!!

Old 11-02-2010, 08:34 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,734 times
The grandkids went to a library event---$2.00 for 2 small pumpkins---I got away cheap. We've lived in 3 towns in 35 years, and have always had massive amounts of kids on Halloween---up to 150+
It's always a fun time for us, my grown sons still dress up to take the little ones out---as do some of the neighborhood parents.We're lucky we can still enjoy it where we live, no vandalism or worry.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:42 PM

834 posts, read 2,278,606 times
What a difference living here from where we lived in Florida and Virginia. We were watching a movie and didn't want to answer the door anymore. I taped a note to our pumpkin saying to help yourself and put the candy bowl in front of it. After tons of kids coming, there was still candy left in the bowl the next morning. I was impressed. I tried that once in Florida and once in VA and the candy bowl was emptied after the first batch of kids, lol.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:01 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
I taped a note to our pumpkin saying to help yourself and put the candy bowl in front of it. After tons of kids coming, there was still candy left in the bowl the next morning.
You must have had some really crappy candy then...

Old 11-04-2010, 06:04 PM

281 posts, read 345,407 times
We haven't given out candy on Halloween in over 10 years. Got tired of the 20-year old thugs with no costume demanding candy. The last Halloween we enjoyed was about 13 years ago. We were renting a place that had a side entrance and when the doorbell rang my wife would go to the front door and I'd go out the side - wearing my Michael Myers mask. I'd just stand at the side of the porch and stare at the trick-o-treaters. I think it scared every one of them. They didn't run and scream but they couldn't (wouldn't) take their eyes off me. It was great! One mother refused to approach the house with her kids until I went back into the shadows. Part of what the holiday is about. I always loved it as a kid...

Old 11-05-2010, 09:09 AM

834 posts, read 2,278,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
You must have had some really crappy candy then...
I don't think we got crappy candy. I got the mixed bag of candy bars and another mixed bag of the sugary type of candy like skittles and candy corn. Typical Halloween candy.

Believe me, it's reflective of the town and the people, not the candy. Where we lived in the past, that bowl would have been empty just for the sake of the kids feeling like they got away with something, whether they liked the candy or not.

Also, I recall in Virginia, outside of Richmond, getting adults trick or treating by themselves, tons of teens in large groups with no costumes at all, and from the kids, rarely a "Trick or Treat" or "Thank you" to be heard.
Total opposite in Avon. It was all parents with little kids, all were polite and always said trick or treat and then thanked me. I answered the door for about an hour before we started watching the movie and I taped the note to the pumpkin.
Sorry, I just read a lot of bashing of the "OMG those rich snobs in Avon" posts that I have to point out the difference between living in a town like this vs other towns.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:11 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
The families in the past few neighborhoods I've lived in leave candy out in bowls, too. We never could have gotten away with that where we lived in Norwalk, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut