Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 08:59 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,014,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Of course Lyme is rural in itself. The population density is only like 64 persons per square mile or something. Contrast that with Middletown, which is about 1,180.
"not congested" or "Not as populated" is more how I would put it. Rural, not so much.

This is generally the type of house you find in Lyme with a dock on the CT River inlet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 09:02 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times
I would also like to use the measure of per capita income as an end to the Maryland vs. Connecticut wealth debate. According to the 2005-2009 American Community Survey as published by the U.S. Census Bureau, the per capita income of each state is as follows:

Connecticut $36,468 WINNER!
Maryland $34,236

Also note that DC has $40,846, however.

Last edited by nep321; 12-22-2010 at 09:46 AM..

Old 12-22-2010, 11:26 AM

34,952 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
One town that I am surprised about is Lyme. Why is the income level in this town so high? The population is only about 2,500. Seriously..who lives there and is that rich? It's a very rural town!
Lyme has about 2,000 residents of which 1,104 are part of the workforce. Most (13%) work in town. 8% work in Groton, 5% in Old Saybrook, 4% in New London, 4% in Middletown, and 3% each in Chester, Essex, Norwich and Waterford. Jay

Old 12-22-2010, 12:05 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Lyme has about 2,000 residents of which 1,104 are part of the workforce. Most (13%) work in town. 8% work in Groton, 5% in Old Saybrook, 4% in New London, 4% in Middletown, and 3% each in Chester, Essex, Norwich and Waterford. Jay
What about the other 54% of the workforce? Where do they work? Lol. I'm guessing a number of them work in New Haven or Norwich.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:27 PM

21,631 posts, read 31,231,833 times
Quote:
Kidyankee764:

No, it depends on what conclusion you are seeking. Average is sometimes the best way to measure something. Sometimes median is the best way. Median income fails to take into account the degree to which the income level truly is.

For example, suppose that Town A has 3 households, one person per household. Two of these households earn $0 per year while the other household earns $1 million per year. Now, suppose that Town B has 3 households, one person per household. Two of these households earn $10K per year and the other household earns $11K per year. Given this scenario, let's see which town holds more wealth.

The median income of Town A would be $0, while the median income of Town B would be $10K. Is it really sensible to conclude that Town B is a wealthier town, even though there is a millionaire residing in Town A and all residents of Town B are lower class?

Now, the per capita income of Town A would be $333,333 and the per capita income of Town B would be $10,333. The conclusion here is that Town A is by far the wealthier town. In practical real-world application, IMO, per capita income measure more accurately reflects the relative wealth of a town, because each earning body in the town has an impact on the overall wealth of the town.
Do they count "zero"? I would assume if they did, towns where people are so wealthy that they don't have to work (Jupiter Island, FL, for example) would have a very low median income. This isn't the case though. I'd be interested to see how they calculate median and per capita income. But again, with per capita, the major flaw is not counting additional sources of income, only the primary incomes. Seeing that a lot of people in working class towns have other sources of income [named a few pages back], it would bring them lower then normal.

While your "town A, town B" comparison is accurate, looking at it in reality, most towns around here don't have populations like this with such a huge disparity in income. That was an extreme example and even though correct, it doesn't represent the vast majority of findings. For communities with a population of 500 and up, I think median is a pretty good determination of where the community stands.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:46 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,955,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Do they count "zero"? I would assume if they did, towns where people are so wealthy that they don't have to work (Jupiter Island, FL, for example) would have a very low median income. This isn't the case though. I'd be interested to see how they calculate median and per capita income. But again, with per capita, the major flaw is not counting additional sources of income, only the primary incomes. Seeing that a lot of people in working class towns have other sources of income [named a few pages back], it would bring them lower then normal.

While your "town A, town B" comparison is accurate, looking at it in reality, most towns around here don't have populations like this with such a huge disparity in income. That was an extreme example and even though correct, it doesn't represent the vast majority of findings. For communities with a population of 500 and up, I think median is a pretty good determination of where the community stands.
They probably count investment income. People who don't have to work will have lots of that.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:26 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,627,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
They probably count investment income. People who don't have to work will have lots of that.
Keep in mind a lot of people have investments where if they aren't active traders, aren't paying capital gains because it's unrealized... they may have big years where they take some out and have a bunch of income, but you could just as easily have almost no income for year on your giant investment accounts.. except for maybe some relatively modest dividends..

Not to mention tax sheltered/overseas money, which is VERY common among the super wealthy in FFC..

Old 12-22-2010, 01:52 PM

34,952 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
What they don't include is trust money. Many wealthy people live off of a trust fund which finances much of their life style. The trust will maintain their home (including food and drink) and vehicles and any "toys" (boats, motorcycles, sports equipment, etc.) they want. The trust will provide them with a small income for pocket exenses which is what shows up in these numbers. I knew a couple of kids in college and the children of my aunt's former employer that had this set up. Their income is small but who needs an income when all you had to do was stay at one of several family homes maintained by the trust. Jay

Old 12-22-2010, 01:53 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,143,230 times
I think what we're grasping at is the difference between income and wealth.

The "old money" we talk about is wealth... It seems to have no bearing on income, because you can not work at all and still be wealthy-- Likely much wealthier than someone who has a high income and high spending habits.

I think if one were to compare the wealth of Connecticut with other high income areas, Connecticut would be much wealthier. The average incomes that were noted (in the 60k's) are low income for Fairfield County, in part, because of the comparative wealth that's there. There are few (if any) homes to be had in lower Fairfield County that are affordable on a single income of 60K.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:28 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,014,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
There are few (if any) homes to be had in lower Fairfield County that are affordable on a single income of 60K.
There are few that can be had with TWO 60K incomes! Those $500K 1000sf starter ranches are a b-word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut