Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 12:42 PM

16 posts, read 73,043 times

Advertisements

My family is considering relocating from Brooklyn, NY(downtown area) to CT. We are considering Fairfield County because of its proximity to NYC. I am a SAHM and my husband does not need to commute daily into Manhattan since he is able to work from home. However my family lives in the Bronx and Westchester and I want to remain close to them. We want a safe, family friendly, non-rural area with good schools. We are a multi-racial family (black and white) and so while I am not expecting lots of diversity, I don't want to move to a town that is racist or close minded. Since we are city dwellers I don't want anything to rural. I also don't want to move to Bridgeport or Stamford. I just want a good place to raise my family and I'm over NYC. I'd like to get the best bang for my buck, if possible, which is why I am not looking in Westchester County. Thanks so much for the feedback and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 12:51 PM

588 posts, read 1,320,775 times
There are a lot of towns that would fit, but before I answer, what's your budget? And would you only consider a single family home, or also a condo or townhouse?

Old 01-06-2011, 01:04 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,448,034 times
Jax is right: your decision will primarily come down to budget followed by whether "bang for your buck" means property size or access to town services. You won't get much property for your money in Greenwich but you will have resident access to many wonderful parks/islands as well as phenomenal public schooling. You'll get a little more for your money in Darien and New Canaan; imho Darien has the upper hand because it's a coastal town. Wilton and Weston are also close to the NY line and you could get a pretty large home for your money in either town, but neither location has a popular downtown location (that visitors will go out of their way to check out) so they may be a little more slow than you're looking for. The next towns you could look into are Ridgefield and Fairfield. Ridgefield is not on the Metro North line so commuting could be a bit of a pain, but it is a very beautiful town. Fairfield has less of a "rich" atmosphere than all of the other towns I mentioned, but you could get a nice piece of property that is relatively inexpensive compared to the other places.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:53 PM

I would consider a single family or townhouse only. We'd like outdoor space so a condo/apartment dwelling is not ideal. Our budget is $700K-1M. Do Darien and New Canaan have nice downtown areas?

Old 01-06-2011, 02:17 PM

269 posts, read 607,793 times
prc2007,
It's going to be a matter of taste. Can you visit a few towns on a weekend? I like New Canaan's downtown better than Darien's. I think it has more going on and is fun and easy to walk around. But it is not on the water like Darien is.
Have you considered Fairfield? Your budget would go further than any of the other towns. It has a nice, walkable downtown with shops and restaurants and it is on the water. The only downside is that it is further from NYC so the commute will be longer. Since your husband will not be commuting daily though it shouldn't be as big of a drag. If you want to check out current listings in various towns take a look at raveis.com.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:22 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
In your price range start in Greenwich. It has a great downtown and a lot of beautiful neighborhoods plus it is most convenient to New York and Westchester. The home may be modest though since Greenwich has some of the highest prices in the State.

Darien and New Canaan are also very nice. They have small downtowns but are very charming. They are a bit less convenient to New York but the commute is still not that bad. Jay

Old 01-07-2011, 01:57 PM

588 posts, read 1,320,775 times
You'll get the least bang for your buck in Greenwich & New Canaan, but they both have great schools, shopping, restaurants, etc. Downsides: New Canaan is not on the coast and is (IMO) a bit "Stepford-ish". Downtown Greenwich parking and traffic is a nightmare unless you're used to it and know the shortcuts around town. In that price range, I'd also consider Darien, Westport and North Stamford. You should really spend a weekend (or at least an afternoon) exploring each town to see for yourself which atmosphere you find most appealing.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:20 PM

sounds like a great idea. i'll visit those towns and see what is out there. thanks for the suggestions. New Canaan, stepford-ish... well my husband would be pleased if i could pull that off.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:11 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Budget of $700 - $1M? My lord....how can there be so many wealthy people? Where does all this money come from?!

Old 01-08-2011, 12:35 PM

nep, it is pretty insane. in the nicer areas of brooklyn you can't get very much for $700K and add to that the cost of private school because the public schools are awful and you don't feel so wealthy. still i know we are fortunate to have even this budget to work with.

fairfield was mentioned. is that still a good option? i wouldn't mind spending less. i am going to visit the towns but i value the candid answers i see on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut