Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,724 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am currently living in the Westlake area of Middletown. Due to some issues with our landlord, we will be moving in June. We're currently at Trolley Crossing and love our condo! We are planning to downsize a bit to save some money. Any suggestions for rentals around or less than $1,000? We are hoping to stay in the Westlake area, but apartmentratings.com does not make any of these places sound liveable! Any advice would be great. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 06:57 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,692,902 times
i wouldn't put much stock in the opinions on apartmentratings.com - people by nature like to complain. for instance, some will complain about a loud neighbor, that they smell the trash recepticle, etc as if those problems were inherently the fault of the management company when in fact it was either bad luck or their fault for choosing the wrong apartment. if you don't want to smell the trash then don't pick an apartment that is right next to/across from the recepticle. if you don't want to hear all the kids making a racket in the pool then don't pick an apartment right next to it. as far as neightbors, sometimes you get good ones and sometimes you get bad ones - the management company can't control this. they have to rent whatever apartment is available to the next person to come along.
but you get my point.
as far as my experience, i've been at Middletown Ridge for 4 years and if not for the numbnuts downstairs (who has now been somewhat tamed thanx to multiple complaints by me and others), have enjoyed it here. my apartment for one is quite nice - 1 BR, third floor (nobody above me), 827 sq ft, central heat/air and washer/dryer with the unit. i pay only $1095 which is the same amount i've been paying since my first day. the rent hasn't gone up at all in all that time.
of course i want to move on eventually but it's not because i hate the place.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:28 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Check craigslist.com for condo rentals in the area. There are usually a few on there. June is a few months away so you have time but I would start looking now so you get an idea of what things are renting for. You do not say how big a unit you want but 2 bedrooms in that area go for around $1,100 plus utilities. Jay

Old 03-13-2011, 02:40 PM

91 posts, read 125,644 times
Yeah, while you should take anything on a site like that with a grain of salt, any place with average score on apartmentratings that's at least 2.5 really shouldn't turn you off. A score of at least 3.0 is quite good (Middletown Brooke may be an exception to that one, as many later reviews say it went "downhill").

Old 03-16-2011, 09:27 PM

856 posts, read 2,015,379 times
Check on the mls service (I like raveis.com to access be listings) there are some other tc units available and some at the other complexes on Westlake. Otherwise if you can afford it consider buying in the area...there are plenty of deals right now and most owners are willing to put up the 3% down needed to get an FHA mortgage.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:07 PM

4 posts, read 9,759 times
Bump

I have been searching CT rentals for weeks. Can't pull the trigger on anything.
I work in Hartford, and have been looking within 20-25 mi radius.
I have seen many apts and drove around looking for ideas as well.

Well I came upon an ad on craigslist (not the best source) but found Trolley Crossing at Westlake. I made an appt to see it, and had to cancel, however took a ride around there to check it out anyway. Now I think the unit is taken.
However, I kind of fell in love with that area. Living in Wallingford for 20+ yrs, I am quite familiar with Middletown, so I felt very comfortable there.

While there I looked at and took an application from Hunter's Crossing. The model sure was beautiful. Since coming home, I have been searching Westlake area rentals. Not a lot comes up with the search.

I was wondering if anyone had any inside info on which of the complexes do rentals, or for rent by owner? Or even true opinions on Hunters. (aptratings.com crucified it)

I am trying to stay around $850-$900. Can go more if utilities are included.

Any help or suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:29 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
West Lake is nice and very convenient. I lived there for many years when I was young and single.

Hunters Crossing is a rental complex. Trolly Crossing is a condo meaning that they are individually owned and rented out by owners. There are a lot of condos in that area so just look for listings that say West Lake. I know people that own condos in that area and they use craigslist.com. You just have to be diligent because good units at good prices go quickly there. Another complex in that area to consider is Ridgefield. I have not been in them in years but I think they are still nice. Jay

Old 12-05-2011, 04:41 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
I believe Hunter's crossing used to be called Russet Park. It's at the bottom of the hill on westlake dr. I wouldn't recommend that place. You should also stay clear of Peppermill & inverness dr. in westlake. The other communities in westlake are fairly good.

You can also look down the street in Cromwell in these condo complexes; Fox meadows, Cromwell Hills, and Strawberry Hill\village (which is behind and above friendly's) for individually owned condos that are being rented out by their owners.

I lived in Fox Meadows and Cromwell Hills before and both complexes were good.

A good place to find rentals in these areas are local weekly newspapers such as The Cromwell Chronicle or The Rare Reminder.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:34 PM

856 posts, read 2,015,379 times
There is a complex of studios up the hill from tc that fall into your range. People tend to stay there long term. Burgundy studios? Can remember the exact name. There is a 1 bedroom complex on the other side of the pond from tc also should be in your price range. You may want to look on the MLS service (I mentioned this above) as many condo owners use realtors to rent. Also try Cromwell since there are a few Cromwell complexes right on 372 (not sure if it still is a dump but Cromwell garden only one I'd avoid).

Old 12-06-2011, 08:03 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Please beware that every rental complex mentioned in this thread thus far does NOT include a washer & dryer in the unit. You will have to share a laundry facility with other tenants. This means that you will most likely have coin-operated laundry, and you will have to be cognizant of when the machines are available to do your own laundry. You will also have to put shoes on and look somewhat presentable in public, just to go to the damn laundry room. And be prepared to see other tenants leave their laundry sitting in the machine for hours on end, preventing you from using them. It's also not as sanitary as having your own. Oh, the horror stories...

On the other hand, there are several decent complexes in the West Lake area that are nice and have a washer & dryer in the unit. The rents are higher, however.
  • Middletown Ridge (has electric heat though)
  • Town Place (has electric heat though)
  • Middletown Brooke
  • Madison at Northwoods
  • Madison at Chestnut Hill (has electric heat though)
  • Windshire Terrace (not sure about heating type)
IMO the nicest place is Middletown Brooke. The prices are quite reasonable, most units are renovated/updated, and they have gas heating and a washer & dryer in each unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut