Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:34 AM

323 posts, read 634,399 times

Advertisements

kidyankee764:

You gave me a much needed laugh today.

The employees did tell me that the store was profitable....??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 08:01 AM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Unfortunately, in corporate America the question is how profitable. It is not only if the store makes money but does it make enough money. If it is not making a lot, they may close it because the chances are greater that at some point it will become unprofitable. Also a lot has to do with their lease. If their lease is currently reasonable but about to expire, they will not take a chance that a favorable lease can be negotiated especially in high cost areas. Jay

Old 03-16-2011, 09:24 AM

Right, Jay.

And thanks for the input about errors in posts. I'm somewhat new to this.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:31 PM

53 posts, read 162,195 times
This happened with all the music stores Strawberries Tower and FYE and i heard recently Hastings Best Buy were shutting down.
Video Galaxy left years ago , Movie Gallery and Blockbuster soon followed. Now bookstores and librarys are on the chopping block.
Not only are prices better online, but you can do almost everything "digitallly" now, Hell i even go "to work" online 2 days a week.

Brick and Mortar anything is dying, even buying at Walmart has become a pricey option since its cheaper on craiglist

Old 03-19-2011, 10:10 PM

83,550 posts, read 75,428,957 times
I remember someone gave me a Gift Certificate to Borders for Christmas. I then remember going into the Borders in Stamford, being in there litterally 5 minutes and walking out. I then gave my certificate away to someone.

They didnt compare to Barnes & Nobles and it was very uncomfortable shopping in there as the isles were the width of refridgerator.

They closed down a year later.
Just like movie rentals, bookstores are vanishing.

Get the Kindle, you have free trials before you buy the book. It has a paperback background color makes it easy to read.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:54 AM

My wife and I are big readers. Does the Kindle, etc... get annoying to the eyes after long periods of reading (for an hour, lets say)? I was thinking of just getting the Apple IPad? It seems a bit bigger? Any thoughts?

Old 03-20-2011, 07:36 AM

240 posts, read 1,372,877 times
This store closing is a sore subject for both my wife and I. I don't believe what "corporate" is telling the public about which locations are not making a profit. This Borders location is always packed, it's not uncommon for the checkout line to be backed up right past the several rows of magazine racks!

Re: local competition. The closest major book store is the Barnes & Noble which is far to the west in a shopping plaza on Kenosia Blvd. The plaza quite literally straddles the Brewster NY border, and the NW corner of Ridgefield Ct. The Borders location is north and east, quite close to the town line of Brookfield Ct. and in the same shopping center as the Home Depot. It's also the most convenient book store to service the towns of Brookfield, New Milford, Roxbury, Bridgewater, Sherman, Gaylordsville, Kent as well as Newtown and nearby Bethel Ct. You could probably add Southbury into the list as well, not sure if the plaza they have has any bookstores of note. Anyhow, point is this adds up to a population of roughly a quarter million shoppers.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:12 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,145,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat456 View Post
My wife and I are big readers. Does the Kindle, etc... get annoying to the eyes after long periods of reading (for an hour, lets say)? I was thinking of just getting the Apple IPad? It seems a bit bigger? Any thoughts?
I have a Kindle. I use it for light reading when I am travelling. I haven't found it to be any more difficult on the eyes then readying out of a traditional book. My only complaint is that the technical titles that I read for work are still only available in print form.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:14 AM

83,550 posts, read 75,428,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat456 View Post
The Kindle is nice and after an hour it feels the same as any book would. You also have the option to change the text size which you dont have with a book. No paper cuts with Kindle. lol.. And the sun glare doesnt affect the kindle too much. Not only is it less expensive buying books on Kindle but you can do it right from the Kindle itself.. (wireless)

Never owned the IPad so cant comment on that but I would think bigger is not better in this case. I noticed the eyes are more comfortable when reading side to side in a small area as opposed to moving too much left a right.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:41 AM

Thanks for the input on the Kindle. Looks like I will be getting one soon. I feel like my book collection is going to be an antique soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut