Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 05:17 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
You both make valid points...

But I think Wave is just trying to say its very hard to get a good snowstorm going in December which I agree with. While you saying it can and does happen is also true.
Oh I agree..its also hard getting it within our short 3 month winter around here. This area Sucks thats why its such a big deal when it does happen...

I think when he got into the "look its raining because its december routine" I got into my proof mode. LOL... Wondering why i havent gotten an answer for whats happening on the 20th
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 05:38 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Oh I agree..its also hard getting it within our short 3 month winter around here. This area Sucks thats why its such a big deal when it does happen...

I think when he got into the "look its raining because its december routine" I got into my proof mode. LOL... Wondering why i havent gotten an answer for whats happening on the 20th
Hey if you think winter sucks there for snow try living in Charlotte. A 1 inch snow here is like a disaster ,..such a joke. Then 90's in summer for 3 straight months.I never thought I'd miss the Connecticut weather but I do.

I always said with an active series of coastal lows, the best places to live are inland Mssachusetts (Worchester, Springfield) ... little coastal influence temp wise, but all the moisture overflow you need.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Hey if you think winter sucks there for snow try living in Charlotte. A 1 inch snow here is like a disaster ,..such a joke. Then 90's in summer for 3 straight months.I never thought I'd miss the Connecticut weather but I do.

I always said with an active series of coastal lows, the best places to live are inland Mssachusetts (Worchester, Springfield) ... little coastal influence temp wise, but all the moisture overflow you need.
Or I can compare Alaska to the mid-west like wavehunter compares the mid-west to NorthEast. ... The stuff that happens in the midwest is chump change compared to what some other continental U.S areas get... Nobody should compare that to CT. Thats like saying, we wont be as hot as the Aruba...No kidding...

In fact; if I was living in those areas, I wouldnt make a big deal about 2 feet let alone 2 inches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter
1. WE (meaning the Tri-State area – NYC/LI/CT/NJ) do not ever ever get the type of true severe Midwest/Northern Plains Blizzards with wind chills of - 25 to -40 below zero
Sometimes I wish we did.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Or I can compare Alaska to the mid-west like wavehunter compares the mid-west to NorthEast. ... The stuff that happens in the midwest is chump change compared to what some other continental U.S areas get... Nobody should compare that to CT. Thats like saying, we wont be as hot as the Aruba...No kidding...

In fact; if I was living in those areas, I wouldnt make a big deal about 2 feet let alone 2 inches!

Sometimes I wish we did.
Snowflakes here in Charlotte! First ones...this is what my winter excitement has come to Uh-oh they may close schools though ... last year a 4 inch snow caused schools to be closed 3 straight days.

Oh and the 20th storm. I am on board that this could be the first shot at a 3 inch or more event.However preliminary indications are for a storm to go south of you guys. In fact long range has Charlotte with snow possible on the 20th...Too far away and too variable.

Last edited by jp03; 12-12-2010 at 07:19 PM..

Old 12-13-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Snowflakes here in Charlotte! First ones...this is what my winter excitement has come to Uh-oh they may close schools though ... last year a 4 inch snow caused schools to be closed 3 straight days.

Oh and the 20th storm. I am on board that this could be the first shot at a 3 inch or more event.However preliminary indications are for a storm to go south of you guys. In fact long range has Charlotte with snow possible on the 20th...Too far away and too variable.
Excellent post!! Yeap...I'm looking at the models now and it looks more promising than this past one and since nobody else but you mentioned it...see my next post.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:04 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Or I can compare Alaska to the mid-west like wavehunter compares the mid-west to NorthEast. ... The stuff that happens in the midwest is chump change compared to what some other continental U.S areas get...
“Other continental U.S areas"…. Like which ones? Another meteorological misstep young grasshopper:

The Midwestern USA is home to the coldest temperatures on the USA mainland. . Next month is on average the coldest month of the year. NO region on the USA mainland can hold a candle to the upper Midwest:

For me, I could really care less about what happens after December 26th or so (lol): After that when I go outside it will look this where I'll be in Florida:

I'll send you a postcard and a coconut from the Cape Florida Lighthouse

Old 12-13-2010, 06:04 AM

NEXT POSSIBLE SNOWSTORM 12-20-2010

#1. The Euro saw it days ago (more reliable model) #2. GFS now has it. #3. Cold air will be in place. #4. Almost looks like it stalls East of NYC!!

Here's a run side by side comparison... Notice the Low coming up from the Carolinas and then East of NYC.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
NEXT POSSIBLE SNOWSTORM 12-20-2010

#1. The Euro saw it days ago (more reliable model) #2. GFS now has it. #3. Cold air will be in place. #4. Almost looks like it stalls East of NYC!!

Here's a run side by side comparison... Notice the Low coming up from the Carolinas and then East of NYC.
Yea..SOMETHING will fire up. First one that has any real meat this year. No idea where or who yet.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
“Other continental U.S areas"…. Like which ones? Another meteorological misstep young grasshopper:

The Midwestern USA is home to the coldest temperatures on the USA mainland. . Next month is on average the coldest month of the year. NO region on the USA mainland can hold a candle to the upper Midwest:

For me, I could really care less about what happens after December 26th or so (lol): After that when I go outside it will look this where I'll be in Florida:

I'll send you a postcard and a coconut from the Cape Florida Lighthouse
I think Northern New England can make a run at the upper midwest some...if not most years.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:35 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Yea..SOMETHING will fire up. First one that has any real meat this year. No idea where or who yet.
To quote from the NWS..."WITH THIS RUN OF THE MODELS THE
GFS HAS A COLDER...STRONGER STORM MOVING RIGHT OVER THE BENCHMARK MONDAY MORNING WHILE THE ECMWF HAS AN INSIDE RUNNER MOVING UP MORE DIRECTLY OVER SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND. AGAIN...THIS IS A VERY LOW CONFIDENCE FORECAST."

I smell Bust #2!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut