Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 05:00 PM

12 posts, read 39,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Well you obviously have not been listening very well. Fairfield has always been among the top school systems in the State. I do not have the time to get into all of the statistics, but for the 8th Grade Connecticut Mastery scores, 93,2% of Fairfield students meet or exceed the math proficiency levels; 92.0 for reading and 94.9 for writing. If that isn't considered excellent for a town as diverse as Fairfield, I do not know what is. Jay
wat are u talkin about all fairfeild is a bunch of white people ure stupid if u think fairfeild is diverse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolStrom View Post
It seems like Milford , CT can give you the best of everything and your $$ will go long way in Milford .

1>It has the best shopping Mall and all the big box stores on Route 1
2>Alternative of Fairfield county...people are moving from NY and Long Island to Milford , considering its great location on the beach and easy access to highways...so it has a great investment potential.
3>It has a nice downtown that you can actually walk in to with your kids without having a fear of getting robbed...
4>Public school system if not the best in CT...is far Better then Hamden and better then even Fairfield , or Stratford.
5>It is also located on the shoreline, so you can walk to beach etc.
6>They are building upscale shopping malls in Milford..so it has come a long way...

I used to live in Hamden and if you have your mind set on Hamden then only look for a house in Mt.Carmel (that's the only nice area left in entire Hamden)...everything else is pretty much adjectent to New Haven and has all kinds of issues.
My wife and i moved from hamden to Milford and people are very family friendly and very down to earth in Milford even though it has a Fairfield county flair to it because of the proximity...so at any rate, you can't get disappoint with Milford...the only area that is haveing some issues is Devon and it is going through revitalization and is going very slow...so buy that house before all the NYorkers snap it...:-)

Good Luck and let me know if any questions...
CoolStrom
i agree with u i live here in hamden on the border of the newhall area but all the rural areas are really good

Old 08-14-2008, 06:36 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdup24 View Post
wat are u talkin about all fairfeild is a bunch of white people ure stupid if u think fairfeild is diverse
Fairfield has a non-white population of about 7% and it is growing. Also I can tell you that not all of the town is rich despite what you think. There are many modest homes and apartments. Jay

Old 08-14-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Fairfield has a non-white population of about 7% and it is growing. Also I can tell you that not all of the town is rich despite what you think. There are many modest homes and apartments. Jay
Alright sorry i was being an idiot but 93 pecent white is not diverse maybe to u people who live in the richer areas of fairfeild county think that.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:18 PM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times
Jay is there a link to the article on the Connecticut Mastery Tests that you mention above

TIA!

Old 08-14-2008, 02:37 PM

269 posts, read 607,535 times
Diversity is not defined by race alone. Fairfield has a great diversity in age and income levels. I've also found it in my experience to be warm, welcoming and non hostile towards minorities and mixed race couples which I find much more meaningful than percentages.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:12 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,686,936 times
I think the original question was 'how is Hamden?'

I can say that we have family there, they love it from a quality of life standpoint, but the taxes are a budget killer. It has all the shops/amenities you could ask for, new and or updated schools facilities, but the town is stuck with extremely high pensions for the retirees that are just beyond ridiculous

Old 08-15-2008, 04:47 PM

127 posts, read 520,851 times
Spring Glen in Hamden is one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in the New Haven area. There are no cookie cutter homes and the neighborhood has great character. Spring Glen Elementary School is great, there is a new Hamden Middle School, and Hamden HS is close by. I also have heard some stories about Hamden High. Not sure what your budget is but there are a few great private schools in the area including Hamden Country Day, which is in "the glen" and many spring glen kids attend.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:30 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,275 times
If you like Hamden but are concerned about schools i would reccomend moving one town over to Cheshire, it is safer, and with much better schools and still close to hamden. Cheshire also has more of a community feel to it.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:34 AM

8 posts, read 37,765 times
I am currently a teacher (not in Fairfield) and would have to say that Fairfield is top notch in education. I know that many if not most of their elementary schools use Teachers College Reading and Writing Workshop which is in my opinion an excellent way to teach students how to read and write. If you want more information on that method just google Teachers College reading and writing project.

I also attended Fairfield public schools all through elementary to high school and I have family members currently in high school. From what I can see the curriculum is rigorous and they have high expectations for all students. I really don't think that you can get better than Fairfield as far as public schools are concerned.

I am actually considering to make a move to Milford CT and I reallize that the schools are good, but not as good as Fairfield schools. I really think you cannot go wrong with Fairfield.

One thing you do have to consider are the housing prices when moving to Fairfield. They are pretty much out of control. This has corrected itself to some degree but if you want certain areas like Greenfield Hill, Southport, etc. then you are going to pay for it.

I will have to say that Fairfield is much more diverse then when I went to school. There is still a lot of competitiveness as far as the way kids dress but I think that that is pretty much all over. I only am saying this based on my own experiences working with kids of all different ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut