Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 01:38 PM

210 posts, read 262,139 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a single mom of teenagers, looking to move to Connecticut for a fresh start. The one rule is that I have to live within an hour of my ex, who is just over the New York border (Putnam County- We are currently living in the same town and that is a little too close or comfort or for any kind of fresh start.)
Two of my kids have just recently started college, one is about to start high school next year and the other is already in high school. Looking for a town that is safe, but has plenty to do for teenagers, and a place where my college kids would want to come visit. Also as a newly single parent, I am not looking to jump right into the dating scene, but I would like to be in an area where I could make new friends my age (late 40’s) and get involved in the community and have some kind of social life. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 02:36 PM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
You might take a look at West Haven CT, just outside of New Haven. It's a family-friendly suburb with good schools and plenty to do recreationally and otherwise being so close to the coast. New Haven is large enough to provide something of a dating pool as well.

Old 12-03-2023, 04:32 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
I picked Brewster as it is right across the border. I just googled Fairfield to Brewster and it says it is 35 miles and 55 minutes. Fairfield is a great town with excellent schools, beaches and Metro North. I am not sure what your budget is. You would be close to Stamford and Norwalk for night life. And you would not be far from New Haven too for really good night life.

Another town I think would I think would be good for you is Milford but that will probably another 10 or 15 minutes. That is not that much further for a great town with very good schools and beaches too.

Will you rent or buy and what is your budget? That can open up more suggestions.

Average House (from Rocket Homes)
Brewster $475,000
Fairfield $785,000
Milford $421,000

Niche Best CT Schools 2024 (169 towns/cities in CT)
#16 Fairfield
#29 Milford

Old 12-03-2023, 05:31 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diydesign View Post
Hello. I am a single mom of teenagers, looking to move to Connecticut for a fresh start. The one rule is that I have to live within an hour of my ex, who is just over the New York border (Putnam County- We are currently living in the same town and that is a little too close or comfort or for any kind of fresh start.)
Two of my kids have just recently started college, one is about to start high school next year and the other is already in high school. Looking for a town that is safe, but has plenty to do for teenagers, and a place where my college kids would want to come visit. Also as a newly single parent, I am not looking to jump right into the dating scene, but I would like to be in an area where I could make new friends my age (late 40’s) and get involved in the community and have some kind of social life. Any ideas?
What is your budget and what do you expect/need for it? Are good schools important to you? Are you buying or renting? Knowing the answers to these will help us guide you to a good place to live here.

Your one hour drive distance to Putnam County is very limiting. You can’t consider the Bridgeport, New Haven or Hartford areas. Even Stamford is close to being outside your one hour drive limit.

The Danbury area immediately came to mind. Danbury is a small city and schools there are decent for a city. Danbury has a wide range of housing options, everything from modest apartments to grand mansions. It also has the most affordable housing within your hour drive.

If you want very good schools and your budget is generous, you might want to consider Ridgefield. It’s a wonderful town with some of the very best schools in the state. It is pricey however. More affordable options would be Bethel, Brookfield or New Fairfield. These towns have good schools and are great places to raise kids. Plus they are more affordable than Ridgefield.

The Stamford area has the most to do for your college kids but it is very expensive. The city itself might work but it is very expensive. That’s why a budget would help.

Old 12-04-2023, 03:22 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You might take a look at West Haven CT, just outside of New Haven. It's a family-friendly suburb with good schools and plenty to do recreationally and otherwise being so close to the coast. New Haven is large enough to provide something of a dating pool as well.
West Haven is one of the last cities I would suggest. I would not consider it family friendly, low crime, or as having decent public schools. It is also not within an hour to Putnam County.

The OP is limited to the greater Danbury area. I’d highly suggest Bethel, as it’s close to Danbury for things to do, with a quick drive over the border to New York. Schools are solid, it’s safe, and the cost shouldn’t be too wild especially coming from New York.

Milford would have been my first suggestion, but the hour thing makes the choices limited.

Old 12-04-2023, 05:57 AM

512 posts, read 351,151 times
Quote:
You don't mention a budget, which is the largest deciding factor at play.

Old 12-04-2023, 06:10 AM

210 posts, read 262,139 times
Budget is around $550,000.

I know New Haven County was mentioned above. So what are your thoughts on Southbury? That falls within the one hour rule.

Last edited by diydesign; 12-04-2023 at 06:27 AM..

Old 12-04-2023, 07:20 AM

366 posts, read 779,803 times
I have a friend, also a single mom, who lives in Southbury with her 20- year old daughter. They love it there. They were happy with the public school system. Some good shopping and dining options, and close enough to Danbury for more shopping. Good access to nature for hiking and biking.

Old 12-04-2023, 07:26 AM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Budget is around $550,000.
Is he paying for it? can you squeeze a little more
Budget is good for all of CT excluding the coast from Greenwich to Fairfield, but that's the area your college aged kids would have more fun and for dating when you're ready to get back in the saddle. I can't rec it enough.

Old 12-04-2023, 07:46 AM

82 posts, read 33,521 times
In your price range, I'd look closely at the Bethel and Southbury recommendations. Particularly Southbury if you enjoy nature and a more bucolic setting. Southford Falls, Bent on the River, and Kettletown State Parks are all in Town and fantastic. Close enough to Putnam CO, with better access to New Haven and Points East if Danbury isn't your thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut