Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2007, 08:22 PM

51 posts, read 194,419 times

Advertisements

We've been househunting in CT this past week, and we've seen lots of different houses. One of the houses that we're interested in is in Nichols. How does this area of Trumbull "rate"? The part of Nichols that the house is located in is very close to Bridgeport, which somewhat concerns us. Will this affect resale value in the future? Are there "good" and "bad" parts of Nichols? Any input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 08:37 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Trumbull is an excellent town with so much to offer. It has excellent schools, great parks, wonderful shopping, restaurants and entertainment. Trumbull is located immediately north of Bridgeport but for the most part the sections of Bridgeport that border Trumbull are nice. There is one exception and that is the area around what was once a public housing project off Old Town Road and Reservoir Avenue. The project was rebuilt a number of years ago but I believe there are still issues in the area.

Because of this and the fact that you are concerned with future resale, I would recommend staying north of the Merritt Parkway when looking for a home. Most of Nichols is to the north of the Parkway, but there is a portion near Bridgeport's Beardsley Park that could be considered and often is called Nichols because the rest of Nichols is so nice. I believe this is the area you are referring to. I know this area is nice and the homes are a little more affordable, but there is a reason for that. I hope this helped. Jay

Old 08-01-2007, 07:00 AM

67 posts, read 227,869 times
Jay is correct about the little slice near the Bridgeport line, but overall the Nichols area of Trumbull is very desirable and always has been, and probably always will be. You should have no trouble with resale there. It offers alot in the way of charm and convienience to the Merritt. My advice is if you found a house you like in Nichols you won't go wrong.

Good luck.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the responses. It was exactly what I was looking for. I knew that there had to be a reason for the variation I was seeing in housing prices, and this explains it. After our trip, I think that we'll be focusing our search on Nichols, White Hills, Huntington and Oronoque. This is always the hardest part of any move. Can't wait until we get through this phase!

Old 08-01-2007, 04:44 PM

I am sure you are aware that White Hills and Huntington are part of Shelton and Oronoque is Stratford. Nichols is part of Trumbull and has what is considered to be the better schools. That is why you will pay more. It is a more desirable town. Good luck, Jay

Old 08-01-2007, 05:04 PM

Jay,

Thanks for making sure that I know where each of the areas are located. I did, but it's definitely easy to miss that kind of thing when you're flying in to check out housing! We're planning to use parochial schools (St Joe's), so I'm not worried about the schools personally, I just want to make sure we move somewhere with decent schools for resale value. We'll still look at other parts of Trumbull, but Nichols is the area we like best (I think there was also another area that was near Shelton, but I don't know if it has a name). Can you think of any other good neighborhoods to check out in that area?

Old 08-01-2007, 05:19 PM

All of Trumbull is really nice north of the Parkway (Route 15). I forgot you said you were considering parocial schools, so Stratford or Shelton would not be a problem. If you do buy in Trumbull, consider sending your kids to Trumbull High. I hear good things about it and I think you would be pleased. Plus the tuition you save would help pay for the increased cost of a home there. This of course is your decision and I am just trying to give you some food for thought. Good luck with your house hunt and welcome to Connecticut. Jay

Old 08-01-2007, 10:26 PM

Which town we live in really won't make a difference in the affordability of school... it's just my natural Yankee cheapness... ummm I mean frugalness... coming out, lol. After living in the south for awhile, CT prices are a big adjustment. We've considered public schools, but the child we're sending to high school has never been in a large school, and he had a heart attack looking at the outside of Trumbull High, lol. Our personal preference is private v. public, but we have had our children in public schools in the past. Our child who is now in college would have loved Trumbull High.

Trumbull really was our first choice, but I've been lurking on the Trumbull message board, and it's full of people complaining about the new tax assessments and the state of town politics, and it's been slightly off putting. I guess every town has its groups who complain about everything though.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:36 AM

67 posts, read 227,869 times
If you liked the Oronoque area of Stratford then look in the Putney and Beaver Dam areas as well which are close to Oronoque but with a little bit more charm in my opinion.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:50 AM

999 posts, read 4,653,772 times
As an above poster mentioned, since you're not sending your child to public schools, then you will get a LOT more for your money in Stratford, a bit more in Shelton. Trumbull has become very expensive and a bit "snobby", we compared it to Fairfield in talking with friends when I lived in Stratford, both as being expensive and stuffy. Just my opinion, I knew plenty of nice, down to earth people from both towns, and I grew up in Fairfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut