Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 04:21 PM

428 posts, read 832,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Nah, I prefer dihydrogen monoxide. Do you use heroin?
Naw, fried chicken and Jamaican beef patties are my drugs of choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 08:29 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,022,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Nah, I prefer dihydrogen monoxide. Do you use heroin?
Dude, the BEST dihydrogen monoxide I ever had was in the backwoods of Maine. Those boys know where to get it PURE!

Old 07-02-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
What's the cost of living in rockland maine vs. new haven? 16,600 in rockland maine is very different than 16, 600 in new haven.
The REAL questions is, have YOU compared real estate in Rockland vs New Haven?

Median home price:

New Haven $154K

Rockland $172K.

Uh oh...maybe I should start looking up things like utility costs.

Or wait, maybe income tax rates!

Well sh*t you can save 1% on sales tax...that makes living in New Haven all the worse. LOL

Old 07-02-2011, 10:20 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,926,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
Naw, fried chicken and Jamaican beef patties are my drugs of choice.
Good for you, better throw in a lipitor or two if you want to live long time....

Old 07-02-2011, 10:22 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,926,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Dude, the BEST dihydrogen monoxide I ever had was in the backwoods of Maine. Those boys know where to get it PURE!
Hell yeah! I've sampled that stock myself!

Old 07-02-2011, 11:44 PM

21,783 posts, read 28,131,791 times
Quote:
The REAL questions is, have YOU compared real estate in Rockland vs New Haven?
Even though the median prices are similar, you still get a lot nicer house in Rockland for $200k than you do in New Haven for $200k. The housing stock in Rockland is just nicer, period. Very different demographic there. You just don't have the entitlement crowd like New Haven. The run-down housing stock and low income folk in the ghetto's of New Haven drive all the averages down. I guarantee the cost of living is higher in New Haven than Rockland, adjusted for several factors.

Rockland is a town of 7,000 people that's 98% white and New Haven is diverse a city of 130,000.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:45 PM

10,128 posts, read 15,005,385 times
Wow, who would have thought that 35 miles is all there is between one of the most dangerous cities in the country (New Haven) and one of the safest (Stamford).

Aaah, gotta love the two Connecticut's. If its not one extreme, its the other with no room for an inbetween or two.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Even though the median prices are similar, you still get a lot nicer house in Rockland for $200k than you do in New Haven for $200k. The housing stock in Rockland is just nicer, period. Very different demographic there. You just don't have the entitlement crowd like New Haven. The run-down housing stock and low income folk in the ghetto's of New Haven drive all the averages down. I guarantee the cost of living is higher in New Haven than Rockland, adjusted for several factors.

Rockland is a town of 7,000 people that's 98% white and New Haven is diverse a city of 130,000.
Sure, that's why I compared it to Manchester NH, arguably the "worst" city in NH. But the point still stands, which is demonstrating that "poverty" alone doesn't breed crime and all the other crap that's in our cities. In fact, I'd go so far to say poverty is a RESULT of the mindset contained in our cities not the other way around.

They are poor because they are destitute on many other levels. Until that changes and people are willing to look in the mirror, nothing will change in our cities. No handout, no program, nothing will change it. How long do we have to bang our head against the wall with these generally liberal policies before someone says "Hey it aint working".

Unless you are just saying if New Haven was mostly "white" there wouldn't be a problem.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:08 AM

243 posts, read 774,502 times
Poverty leads to crime. Simple as that.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

There is drug dealing in our cities cause it's an easy way to be financially secure when there are no other viable options out there. Drug dealing leads to crime. Crime leads to non-desirable places to live. In all poverty leads to crime, whether it be drug dealing, robbery, murder.

And you can't compare the worst city in NH to the worst city in CT. It's a whole different ball game. People are poorer here for the simple fact that it cost a lot more to live here and it takes alot more money to get out of poverty here than in NH, simple.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:17 AM

21,783 posts, read 28,131,791 times
Quote:
Unless you are just saying if New Haven was mostly "white" there wouldn't be a problem.
It's a cultural issue, not racial.

I think Manchester has less Section 8, less welfare, less poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut