Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 06:23 PM

21,655 posts, read 31,269,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Most of the cops that were laid off ended up joining the West Haven police department. I wonder how happy/relieved they are at the stupidity of New Haven for dumping them.
Yep. And North Haven took three, Yale took two and Orange took one. They're all feeling blessed right now, I'm sure. Good for them! Only thing I don't agree with is that all four departments had candidates going through the hiring process and rejected them after taking the New Haven guys. South Central didn't offer a refund for the exams to the rejected candidates - not right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 08:34 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,026,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yeah, yeah, I know - it's unfair to compare because cities out west are the size of our counties. BS. Give me another city out there that had 7 shootings in 42 hours. I'm all ears.

Fact is, when it comes to crime per capita, New Haven is 4th most dangerous. Period.

NH fourth most violent city in America | WTNH.com Connecticut
Hey, I have an idea...they should become a sanctuary city and offer instate college rates to illegals. That will fix it!

Oh and vote 97% democrat too because they "care" about things like this. (Ever notice that the most liberal cities are the most plagued by this sort of thing?)

Old 05-26-2011, 08:38 AM

21,655 posts, read 31,269,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Hey, I have an idea...they should become a sanctuary city and offer instate college rates to illegals. That will fix it!

Oh and vote 97% democrat too because they "care" about things like this. (Ever notice that the most liberal cities are the most plagued by this sort of thing?)
Better yet, lets lay off 16 patrolmen!

Old 05-26-2011, 09:53 AM

34,973 posts, read 57,057,748 times
New Haven's biggest flaw is the crime problem. How can they attract businesses and new residents if the problem is so bad? Laying off police just sends the completely wrong message. This is one of the things Destefano has really bungled on in his terms as Mayor. I can not figure out how he can ignore this problem. Jay

Old 05-26-2011, 09:58 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,195,145 times
Just a thought, but I wonder if the coroner problem in most of the US accounts for higher rankings for our cities along with states like ours. We have a State Chief Examiner which examines all suspicious deaths, whereas a huge swath of the country relies on either county or municipal coroners that have been facing significant budget and technical issues.

Might not have anything to do with it but I'd be interested to find out when I get the chance.

~Cheers

Old 05-26-2011, 10:16 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,874,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

LOL , i could list 100s of cities without a Major Crime problem and are mostly liberal and Democratic.... Jersey City used to be one of the worst cities in the Northeast back in the 80s and 90s and now its one of the better cities , even passing parts of NYC in terms of safety and living standards. I think New Haven needs to address its Crime problem , i think CT has to do that on a state level because something is not working on the local level except in Stamford. Some of it has to do with the locals , hench why you see some parts of Urban Jersey like Paterson , New Brunswick , Elizabeth , Harrison , Bayonne , Asbury Park , and the Oranges make that U-turn onto the Path of Urban Renewal and better living standards. But then you see failure on the local level like in Newark , Irvington , Trenton and Camden , that is due to the fact that the Ghetto Minority gets a stronger voice then the silent majority. I think thats happening in New Haven and alot of American cities and it needs to change. It has nothing to due with which political party your in , its ghetto people of each city that get a louder voice that is really to blame. Diversity also plays a role in lowering crime and attracting businesses.... The Ghetto crowd is afraid of this and will due anything to stop it like you see in parts of Newark , Irvington and Camden... I think Corruption is also part of the down fall and whats holding back New Haven and other crumbling Industrial cities.... I don't blame the illegals for any issue in the Urban areas of the NE , that blame is placed more so on the Ghetto crowd....and corruption. I honestly tried to blame them , but I couldn't get to that conclusion..

Old 05-26-2011, 10:34 AM

21,793 posts, read 28,161,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
is not working on the local level except in Stamford.
The big reason Stamford has low crime is in its relatively affluent demographics. There's barely any poverty or lower class in Stamford like in New Haven.

Money = low crime. Period. It's not a PC thing to say, but it's almost always statistically true in cities.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:40 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,195,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Money = low crime. Period. It's not a PC thing to say, but it's almost always statistically true in cities.
Actually, I think that IS the PC thing to say. lol

~Cheers

Old 05-26-2011, 12:52 PM

21,793 posts, read 28,161,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Actually, I think that IS the PC thing to say. lol
Technically, yes. But almost every time facts like that are presented, someone turns it into a racist issue.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:23 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,026,044 times
Quote:
LOL , i could list 100s of cities without a Major Crime problem and are mostly liberal and Democratic....
Uh, this is the CT forum, we are discussing a CT city, and thus the context was cities in our state not nationwide.

Quote:
It has nothing to due with which political party your in
Ideology has a lot to do with it. Look at what happened when a conservative Republican got in office in NYC. (Rudy) The place turned 180*. People hated him and his policies but they couldn't deny the results.

Quote:
I don't blame the illegals for any issue in the Urban areas of the NE , that blame is placed more so on the Ghetto crowd....and corruption. I honestly tried to blame them , but I couldn't get to that conclusion..
All you have to do is look up crime statistics and the links to illegal aliens and you'll find your conclusion. Right now, the honest people are waiting at the back of the line, those willing to break the law are coming here.

Example: Illegal immigrants are just seven percent of Arizona's population, but make up nearly 15 percent of the state's prison population. They represent 14 percent of all inmates jailed for manslaughter and murder, and 24 percent of inmates on drug charges.

Over 25% of today's federal prison population are illegal aliens. In some areas of the country, 12% of felonies, 25% of burglaries and 34% of thefts are committed by illegal aliens.

In Los Angeles, 95% of some 1,500 outstanding warrants for homicides are for illegal aliens. About 67% of the 17,000 outstanding fugitive felony warrants are for illegal aliens.

56% of illegal aliens charged with a reentry offense had previously been convicted on at least 5 prior occasions.

Illegal aliens charged with unlawful reentry had the most extensive criminal histories. 90% had been previously arrested. Of those with a prior arrest, 50% had been arrested for violent or drug-related felonies.

And that's just scratching the surface. But hey, lets invite them into New Haven and kick hard working CT residents out of our universities so they have a seat. Sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut