Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 04:11 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times

Advertisements

I was down visiting family in Fairfield (Tunxis Hill) and they noted that they received letters from two different people interested in buying their home. The letters appear to be hand written and have a phone number to call if they were interested in selling. The first one came a month ago and then another came the other day. The latest one is from someone in Westchester. The first one was from someone in Stamford. I do not think this has ever happened before even when real estate was booming.

I am wondering if this increased interest has anything to do with the soon to be opening train station. Has the new station suddenly made Tunxis Hill more popular? Anyone have thoughts on this. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 04:26 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,221,057 times
That's kind of strange. We looked at a few houses in Fairfield and the Realtor did say that the station is a huge indicator when people choose locations of homes, but handwritten letters? That sounds a little fishy, but I could be wrong. If it's legit, it could be due to the lack of homes that are on the market right now. There isn't a lot to choose from out there.

Did they call the number(s)?

Old 05-30-2011, 05:17 PM

462 posts, read 737,347 times
I am not sure the "name" of the area I live (a couple blocks from Ganims), but our neighbors have been pretty unsuccessful in garnering much interest in their condos on the market. There are still a lot of for sale signs around. And as I mentioned in another thread, I don't think another train station that prospective buyers will have to wait YEARS to park at is having much of an effect. How is having to be dropped off at that station any different than having to be dropped off at Fairfield or Southport. Personally, even though I'm a NYC commuter, I'm more psyched about the new Whole Foods. This train station doesn't do much for me at all.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:43 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
I always wondered whether the train station would make the east side of Fairfield more popular. I live in the Stratfield section so the new station is a lot closer to me than the old station.

But it does seem strange that they're getting letters expressing unsolicited interest in their house. There seem to be plenty of houses on the market right now.

I haven't heard about any great upsurge in interest in the eastern side of town. Interesting development.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:10 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Are you sure it's not realtors? I've gotten like 3 "letters" handwritten since I moved into my house that at first glance look like buyers, but a little more investigation and it's actually a realtor trying to solicite business. "If you decide to sell your house, let us know! We're interested!"

Old 05-31-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Are you sure it's not realtors? I've gotten like 3 "letters" handwritten since I moved into my house that at first glance look like buyers, but a little more investigation and it's actually a realtor trying to solicite business. "If you decide to sell your house, let us know! We're interested!"
This sounds likely. In this market they use the same slime-ball tactics as headhunters.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:15 AM

490 posts, read 1,788,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
I am not sure the "name" of the area I live (a couple blocks from Ganims), but our neighbors have been pretty unsuccessful in garnering much interest in their condos on the market. There are still a lot of for sale signs around. And as I mentioned in another thread, I don't think another train station that prospective buyers will have to wait YEARS to park at is having much of an effect. How is having to be dropped off at that station any different than having to be dropped off at Fairfield or Southport. Personally, even though I'm a NYC commuter, I'm more psyched about the new Whole Foods. This train station doesn't do much for me at all.
I really don't understand why the new train won't make a difference for you. If you live two blocks from Ganims, then you can walk to it. I live much further and the other day I walked to see how it feels. It took me 30 minutes and it felt great. Many people will gain the possibility of walking to the new train. Some will be able to bike or scoot. Dropping off will be much easier at FF Metro than to the current outdated one.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
I really don't understand why the new train won't make a difference for you. If you live two blocks from Ganims, then you can walk to it. I live much further and the other day I walked to see how it feels. It took me 30 minutes and it felt great. Many people will gain the possibility of walking to the new train. Some will be able to bike or scoot. Dropping off will be much easier at FF Metro than to the current outdated one.
The walk is certainly a possibility for me, though considering I currently have to take the 6:43am train from Fairfield, it would require me to get up even earlier which I'm not really interested in. What I don't understand though, is how adding a train station that addresses none of the problems with the current 2 (PARKING), helps prospective buyers, and thus real estate prices. Getting dropped off at Fairfield, really doesn't take that much time. It's the getting dropped off part, that people don't like. This train station doesn't fix that. So it's irrelevant to me. Maybe you'll get a few naive folks who assume (like I did once) that a CITY the size of Faifield would be capable of providing basic necessities like parking to its commuting residents.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:04 AM

490 posts, read 1,788,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
The walk is certainly a possibility for me, though considering I currently have to take the 6:43am train from Fairfield, it would require me to get up even earlier which I'm not really interested in. What I don't understand though, is how adding a train station that addresses none of the problems with the current 2 (PARKING), helps prospective buyers, and thus real estate prices. Getting dropped off at Fairfield, really doesn't take that much time. It's the getting dropped off part, that people don't like. This train station doesn't fix that. So it's irrelevant to me. Maybe you'll get a few naive folks who assume (like I did once) that a CITY the size of Faifield would be capable of providing basic necessities like parking to its commuting residents.
Believe or not I know how you feel. I felt the same way a few years back when I moved from NY. I even questioned the new train and wondered about why not construct a garage parking instead. I could not believe how backward thinking the town is and how they have failed miserably at resolving an issue affecting their commuting tax payers. There's plenty I don't like about FF and only a few things I do like. I do differ on the train issue now because I would be able to walk if I want to so it would make my life easier. I hate going to Fairfield Center anyway-people are extra unfriendly there. Funny, I may not be around anymore when the train finally opens.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
Believe or not I know how you feel. I felt the same way a few years back when I moved from NY. I even questioned the new train and wondered about why not construct a garage parking instead. I could not believe how backward thinking the town is and how they have failed miserably at resolving an issue affecting their commuting tax payers. There's plenty I don't like about FF and only a few things I do like. I do differ on the train issue now because I would be able to walk if I want to so it would make my life easier. I hate going to Fairfield Center anyway-people are extra unfriendly there. Funny, I may not be around anymore when the train finally opens.

"Backward" is the exact word I would use to describe Fairfield. I've been here 2 years, but I'm sick of that prevailing notion already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut