Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2022, 10:24 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times

Advertisements

Person delivering food the other day said they passed right by a bear. On the bike trail that goes along the Farmington River, bears are common. They go into people's yards in Canton onward down at least to the Unionville part of Farmington. Eating garbage, walking down the middle of the street, on porches, in parking lots of apartment complexes. Some people use a bell when they go for a walk; not sure how well that works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 12:18 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
If it would set her mind at ease, the air horn could perhaps serve as a little reassurance - like a placebo effect, I guess, since I think the chances of actually using it are almost zero. She asked about bringing along spray, but honestly, she's older than me & neither one of us are spring chickens....I just don't have a lot of faith in either of us operating a can of spray if it was needed. But I still have a visual of an air horn scaring the crap out of her poor dog....
Please don't use an air horn. If she is that paranoid, spray is the way to go, it is what it is designed for. You will cause chaos unnecessarily with an air horn. Her dog may bolt and spook the bear, or you may spook other dogs out on the trail, agitating the bear when it probably would off wandered away on its own if you just let it be. You will become the hazard on the trail, not the bear. The chances of a bad encounter with a black bear are ridiculously small. However, bear spray is sold everywhere from sporting good stores to Costco. Have her buy some, have her test shoot it in a safe location in her yard, and enjoy the trails. It shoots 40 feet so it doesn't take any athletic feat to pull the spray trigger.

FWIW, I am a backcountry hiker and do carry bear spray, mainly because I am a woman who hikes alone at times. I am more afraid of people than bears. Never had to use it and I have gone deep into brown and black bear country.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:59 PM

1,366 posts, read 995,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I am more afraid of people than bears.
That's because bears don't kill for sport.

Old 03-29-2022, 06:19 AM

844 posts, read 508,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Please don't use an air horn. If she is that paranoid, spray is the way to go, it is what it is designed for. You will cause chaos unnecessarily with an air horn. Her dog may bolt and spook the bear, or you may spook other dogs out on the trail, agitating the bear when it probably would off wandered away on its own if you just let it be. You will become the hazard on the trail, not the bear. The chances of a bad encounter with a black bear are ridiculously small. However, bear spray is sold everywhere from sporting good stores to Costco. Have her buy some, have her test shoot it in a safe location in her yard, and enjoy the trails. It shoots 40 feet so it doesn't take any athletic feat to pull the spray trigger.

FWIW, I am a backcountry hiker and do carry bear spray, mainly because I am a woman who hikes alone at times. I am more afraid of people than bears. Never had to use it and I have gone deep into brown and black bear country.
Yup. I hike and camp in black bear country all the time. It's never a problem as long you you hang your food or put it in a bear box. I saw a big one on the AT near Falls Village last year.

Old 04-23-2022, 06:29 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Bear population exploding in Connecticut

Old 04-24-2022, 02:43 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,037,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
After reading the article, I checked out some online photos of bears with ear tags. While the numbers are bigger in size, I don't see how most of us are going to be close enough to the bear to be able to read the number and report it, as suggested in the article.

By the way, no bear sightings on my walk. Plenty of people out and about.

Old 04-24-2022, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
After reading the article, I checked out some online photos of bears with ear tags. While the numbers are bigger in size, I don't see how most of us are going to be close enough to the bear to be able to read the number and report it, as suggested in the article.

By the way, no bear sightings on my walk. Plenty of people out and about.

You don't need to be close enough, All cameras have zoom on them.

Old 04-24-2022, 09:02 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,037,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
You don't need to be close enough, All cameras have zoom on them.
LOL.... I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the presence of mind to zoom in. My only thought would be to slowly back away. I doubt I'd even remember I had a phone or camera. Unless I was like Marlin, in the safety of the land rover. I think I need to take Jim wth me!

Old 05-14-2022, 06:40 AM

10,100 posts, read 14,972,719 times
With the rise of bear sightings in CT, unfortunately a recent news from New Jersey might repeat itself in New England.

New Jersey Woman Attacked By Bear As She Checked Her Mail
https://www.newsweek.com/new-jersey-...r-mail-1706326

Time for Nutmeggers to buy one of these and carry on their person at all times when they are outside on their property. Maybe get several and put them within easy reach such as in the garden, near the front door, by the mailbox if not attached to the house, by the garage, etc. Not just checking mail, if you leave your car outside rather than in an attached garage, going to or from your car could be dangerous with bears coming out of nowhere. Imagine if this happens while mowing the lawn (good idea to attach a bear deterrent spray to the lawn mawer) or if someone is suntanning by the in ground pool or getting in/out of the pool.

https://www.rei.com/product/154929/c...sku=1549290001

Last edited by AntonioR; 05-14-2022 at 06:52 AM..

Old 05-15-2022, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
With the rise of bear sightings in CT, unfortunately a recent news from New Jersey might repeat itself in New England.

Time for Nutmeggers to buy one of these

there's a "Grizzly" bear on the label for a reason.
You guys gotta stop watching the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut