Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2011, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,440 times

Advertisements

I am nervously approaching a big move to the Mystic, Connecticut area from Southeast Alaska. I will be working in Norwich but would prefer to live closer to the coast. I've been checking Craigslist regularly but there have been very few available apartments posted in the Mystic/Stonington area. Are there any other resources available for aparment rentals? I won't be able to travel there beforehand to rent a place and will have to find an apartment quickly when I arrive. I don't know a soul in all of Connecticut so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I called a real estate agency and they snickered at me when I mentioned I'm looking for a place under $1,000. I guess I'm not worth their their time! Any suggestions would be so helpful.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 03:48 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
Mystic itself doesn't really have many rentals. You may want to check some other towns around there that offer more in the way of rentals. It will be hard to find something in your budget but if you expand your search you will have more options. Why not look in Norwich itself? Check Realtor.com for listings as well.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:07 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Mystic is not a town but is the eastern portion of the town of Groton and the south western portion of the town of Stonington. Rentals are few and far between and for the most part would only be in older homes broken up into an apartment or two.

However, there are many, many housing options in Groton itself. These range from some condo rentals to a variety of apartments, some newer and luxury, some newer and mid priced, some older and smaller.

Expand your search to include Groton and see what you can find. It's a very short drive from anywhere in Groton proper over to the Mystic side of town.

Good luck

Old 07-04-2011, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,440 times
Thank you for replying. I have been looking at places listed in Groton and Niantic as well. I'm moving from an island community and would prefer to live in these areas as opposed to Norwich so I can reside as close as possible to the coast. I visited the area when I was in college a few years ago and loved it; however, I was visiting the area as a tourist. I noticed on Craigslist that the same apartments are listed over and over again. Ideally I would like to find a place under $1,000 but could afford to pay more if this isn't realistic for a decent property. I'm really not interested in apartment complexes and would prefer a house broken up into smaller apartments or a renovated building. I was wondering if there are property management businesses or newspapers that would have apartments listed as well?

Old 07-04-2011, 09:35 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Try the New London Day which the regional newspaper for southeast CT.

You should also realize that many apartment complexes may include heat and hot water into their rents. Most 2-3 family homes expect tenants to pay for their own heat & hot water. Not all but most. Considering this is CT, heat can get very pricey in the winter, even for an apartment.

There is very little rental property in Niantic. You might get lucky, but rents are few and far between. You could also try to see if there any condos for rent in Waterford. There are a handful of condo complexes in that town which sometimes have a few units for rent. But again you would be responsible for your heat, hot water & electric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut