Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,214 times

Advertisements

Hello All-

I am moving to western connecticut in about a month for a new job and to be closer to my boyfriend. I will be living on my own so I need somewhere that is safe and affordable. I am looking to spend no more than $900/month for rent. I would like to be somewhere in between Waterbury (where my job will be) and Kent (where my boyfriend works/lives).

I would rather have a longer drive to Kent than to work, hopefully no more than 25 mins to work. I would love suggestions on areas to live and if you know specific rental properties that would be even better! I've heard Waterbury is not the best place to live so I have been looking outside the city. Someone suggested Southbury but I can't seem to find many rentals there...

There aren't very many properties on rental sites like apartment.com and Forrent.com, so if you know of better sites to look at I would love to hear your suggestions! I have also looked a little at Craigslist which has more to choose from but I never know what to think of them...

Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 02:46 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,115,027 times
Torrington.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:53 PM

21,631 posts, read 31,231,833 times
I was going to suggest New Milford. It's an affordable, suburban town just to the north of the Danbury area. It's not far from Kent and about 40 minutes to Waterbury.

The problem for you is that the towns between Waterbury and Kent are the rural (and very affluent) Litchfield Hills towns. These towns mostly have single family homes on large lots.

New Milford is more down to earth, and Torrington is as well (but IMO, Torrington is a bit trashy).

Old 08-11-2011, 02:59 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,115,027 times
New Milford's not a bad option if the commute isn't a problem, but there is plenty of trashiness to go around there too. It does look nicer on the surface than Torrington.

Also consider that the commute largely depends on what part of NM you're in. It's the biggest town by land area in CT. Up in the north and you could easily have an hour+ commute with traffic.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:03 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
I was going to suggest Watertown. It is just outside of Waterbury and would be a nice drive to Kent.

The OP is having trouble finding apartments in this area because it is not an area where there are a lot of large scale apartment complexes. Check craigslist.com for rentals. Also the Waterbury Republican might have some listings. Jay

Old 08-11-2011, 06:04 PM

21,631 posts, read 31,231,833 times
Another great suggestion.

I'll also throw in Thomaston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut