Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 06:33 AM

11 posts, read 39,476 times

Advertisements

Try South Norwalk. Your money will go further there than in Stamford, many great restaurants, relatively easy to get into the city by train. For Fairfield County it's not terribly suburban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 07:59 AM

3 posts, read 3,068 times
First things first!

Thank you to everyone who responded: ctwhitechin, jviello, JayCT, mkiv808, 7 Wishes, trishguard, dazzleman, AnonChik, ChrissieWatkins

More than that, I am most grateful for the fact that you went through my entire (not so small) post and made great recommendations. It is most appreciated!

(I was off with family for the weekend, and didn't have the opportunity to respond, I'm normally not THAT rude )

Old 07-11-2011, 08:36 AM

3 posts, read 3,068 times
JViello, I have not heard of Handen, but I will lok into it, and post back here.

7 Wishes, I am not exactly in downtown Brooklyn right now as is, and we are on an "aggressive saving" spree, if that makes sense. By that I mean, we'd rather not put down 2k+ a month in rent alone. In our present situation, Stamform seems to be equally expensive as where we are right now, a smidge more so even!

mkiv808, thanks very much for your post. Quite correct in the (a) near a train station, and (b) commuting by car parts.

JayCT, mkiv, dazzleman and Anonchick, you recommend, among others, New Haven and Bridgeport. Forgive my ignorance, but I have been led to believe that fair bits of these areas have a rather high violent crime rate. Now as always, crime is everywhere and can hapeen to anyone at any point. I just wanted to put my concern out there for a realistic feedback. If this is the case, which areas should I avoid?

Once again, thanks all!

Old 07-11-2011, 09:16 AM

21,760 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieWatkins View Post
Try South Norwalk. Your money will go further there than in Stamford, many great restaurants, relatively easy to get into the city by train. For Fairfield County it's not terribly suburban.
IMO South Norwalk is too expensive for someone that's only going to NY a few times a month, and kind of far to Boston.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:43 AM

21,760 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDOne View Post
JayCT, mkiv, dazzleman and Anonchick, you recommend, among others, New Haven and Bridgeport. Forgive my ignorance, but I have been led to believe that fair bits of these areas have a rather high violent crime rate. Now as always, crime is everywhere and can hapeen to anyone at any point. I just wanted to put my concern out there for a realistic feedback. If this is the case, which areas should I avoid?
There are good, mediocre and bad sections of each city. It's easier to list the good:

Bridgeport:
North End
Black Rock

New Haven:
East Rock/Whitney
Downtown
Wooster Square
Westville

The WORST neighborhoods to be avoided are East Side and East End in Bridgeport, and Newhalville, Fair Haven and The Hill in New Haven. Most of the crime in those cities happens in those places.

If safey is your utmost priority, I recommend looking at towns like Fairfield and Milford, as there are no dangerous sections at all and they are on the train line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut