Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:05 PM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Bridgeport has a lot of different areas. You have to be careful. If something seems too good to be true, it usually is. North Bridgeport and Black Rock are the areas to focus on. Everything else is to be avoided for the most part. Personally, Black Rock is the only part of Bridgeport I'd consider renting in.
There are other areas in Bridgeport that are good other than Black Rock and the North End. Downtown Bridgeport is up and coming with a lot of nice restaurants and bars and some nice affordable apartments in converted old commercial buildings. The location is right near the train station so commuting to Stamford or New york is easy. Also nice is the Beardsley Park and Treeland areas.

Black Rock is nice but I recommend living west of Ellsworth Street since there are some problem areas just to the east. In the North End, I would recommend staying north of North Avenue and west of Main Street. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 12:41 AM

21,782 posts, read 28,124,156 times
Yeah, as stated in another thread - with all due respect (as I usually agree with your thoughts), I really don't agree on downtown Bridgeport being nice or up and coming. I find it to be a dump personally.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:09 PM

93 posts, read 187,361 times
Well I dont think I will be looking into Bridgeport.....been hearing more negative than positive feedback for that area. My friend lives in New Haven so Im going to drive up that way and she is going to show me around Milford which is where she commutes to work. Other than that, Im going to check out Fairfield, Norwalk, Stratford, and Stamford since that is where the job will be, if I get it.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:52 PM

12 posts, read 19,338 times
Have you thought about rooming with someone? You might be able to get a nice place with a roommate in that area.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:55 PM

I don't know anyone in the area so I don't think that's an option

Old 07-25-2011, 07:10 AM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
There are apartment shares on craigslist.com and there are service companies that offer to find people roommates. Jay

Old 07-25-2011, 07:23 AM

Well im going to see how I feel once I fly into CT this weekend and check it out. Im going to concentrate on apts closer to $1500/month which I've seen several listed. The size of the apt is not an issue....location is more important. If I have to be without my dogs to find a rental then im prepared to do so. Maybe ill stop by a realty office if I have time.

As for roommate idea, that's a last resort....I did the roomate thing in college and I didn't enjoy it!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Usually it's included in your rent if the apartment complex provides parking. There are exceptions to the rule, sometimes in bigger cities like Stamford and New Haven.

When you go down the coast, be sure to check out the right areas of the towns.

Here's some Google Maps links showing the areas to check out, in order from west to east:

South Norwalk:
washington street, norwalk, ct - Google Maps

East Norwalk:
east avenue, norwalk, ct - Google Maps

Downtown Fairfield:
fairfield, ct - Google Maps

Black Rock, Bridgeport:
Black Rock, Bridgeport, CT - Google Maps

All along Main Street in Stratford:
2500 main street, stratford, ct - Google Maps

Downtown Milford/Harbor:
schooner lane milford, ct - Google Maps

The purpose of these is to show you the "heart" of these towns, so you're not wandering aimlessly and seeing the wrong parts of town. A lot of areas/town get unfair evaluation because visitors don't see the downtown and business areas that define them (for instance, Norwalk, Stratford and Milford are unfairly judged by Route 1 - the main commercial corridor which is pretty homogenous). Also, don't go further east in Bridgeport from Black Rock!
I was looking over the links you provided....im guessing the best way would be to take I-95 and get off at the exits nearest to the areas you suggested? Ill be checking these areas out on a Saturday so hoping for an easy drive.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:45 PM

21,782 posts, read 28,124,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptodream247 View Post
I was looking over the links you provided....im guessing the best way would be to take I-95 and get off at the exits nearest to the areas you suggested? Ill be checking these areas out on a Saturday so hoping for an easy drive.
Yes, off 95 works.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:05 PM

Just got back from CT.....Saw some really nice areas and some not-so-nice areas. I had a good time though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut