Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,803 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple currently living in Philadelphia. We want to leave the city because we're paying more and more money to live here yet things aren't getting any better. So, we've been looking on real estate websites and reading this forum quite a bit. We'd rent first but ultimately we'd like to buy a single family home in the 250k range in a quiet, safe area in a good public school district. We don't really care about being close to NYC or anything but being within maybe 30- 45 minutes driving distance of a beach would be awesome. Ideally, there would be some sort of town center with shops or something but not absolutely necessary. We've looked at many towns online but would love some opinions from people who actually live in the area. So where should we focus our search to relocate? On a side note, what's the job market up there like for certified elementary teachers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 05:34 PM

429 posts, read 1,174,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekm100 View Post
We are a young couple currently living in Philadelphia. We want to leave the city because we're paying more and more money to live here yet things aren't getting any better. So, we've been looking on real estate websites and reading this forum quite a bit. We'd rent first but ultimately we'd like to buy a single family home in the 250k range in a quiet, safe area in a good public school district. We don't really care about being close to NYC or anything but being within maybe 30- 45 minutes driving distance of a beach would be awesome. Ideally, there would be some sort of town center with shops or something but not absolutely necessary. We've looked at many towns online but would love some opinions from people who actually live in the area. So where should we focus our search to relocate? On a side note, what's the job market up there like for certified elementary teachers?
Welcome to Connecticut!

With that budget, you're pretty much kept to Eastern and Central Connecticut; you could still do Western CT, but you'd be looking at either a serious fixer-upper, or a town with a bed reputation. But you certainly still have some nice options, though be warned that taxes in CT are pretty astronomical (I say this not as a deterrent, but as reality).

For Central Connecticut, consider:

Wethersfield
Rocky Hill
Cromwell
Berlin
Middlefield

For Eastern Connecticut, consider:

Coventry
Ellington
Colchester
Hebron
Lebanon
Waterford
East Lyme
Ledyard

All very nice towns; pretty reasonable housing markets; safe; good schools; pretty close to the beach (with Waterford and East Lyme actual shore towns). Let the forum know which towns you might be interested in, and we'll be happy to give you a little more detail! Best of luck, Connecticut is a one-of-a-kind place to live!

Old 08-03-2011, 05:35 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,170,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekm100 View Post

Look at Danbury. Bethel.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:36 PM

I forgot to add: the job market for certified elementary school teachers is pretty dismal. Securing one of those jobs is like finding gold. Plus, you'd need Connecticut certification. I'm not sure if Pennsylvania shares reciprocity with Connecticut; you'd have to check the State Department of Education for both States!

Old 08-03-2011, 05:42 PM

46 posts, read 72,340 times
I had to chuckle a little when I read this. If you're looking to move to a cheaper area then Philly, don't look at Connecticut. Housing is expensive and taxes are insane. I just had this conversation with a friend in Philly. She nearly gagged when I told her what we pay in property taxes here.

This is one of the highest cost states. No bargains to be found here.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:52 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times
It is difficult to recommend someone to move to CT for a lower cost of living. It's just laughable. But, as others have said, if you must have good schools and prefer to be within 40 minutes to the beach, New London county is basically you're only option.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:17 PM

276 posts, read 589,743 times
Can you guys quantify your comments (astronomical, insane...) regarding taxes? Living in Westchester County, NY and looking in CT I've found the taxes to be drastically lower, more than half in many cases.

Seems like they range from $7k to $9k, give or take, for a $450k to $550k house. Am I wrong?

Thank you.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:15 PM

21,773 posts, read 28,115,027 times
You're a young couple, so you want to be around other young couples. You also don't want crazy expensive rent, and want to buy in the 250k range.

I'd preclude Bethel/Danbury. I spent most of my life there. As nice as it is, I'd equate the area to a Toyota Camry. Safe, reliable and predictable, but awfully boring and nondescript. As a professional in their 20's, leaving that area was one of the best decisions I've ever made. The job market up there is also a bit homogenous and corporate.

There are a handful of areas in CT that I really like for younger couples because they allow for walkable town centers, lots of activities, culture, etc.

Without knowing more than you've said, and where you'll be working, here are my top picks:

West Hartford - Great town center, relatively affordable. If you can't find a home here for $250k, there are towns nearby - and at least you'll have a good experience renting. Near Hartford for all it has to offer, yet much safer to live in. Nice parks (Elizabeth Park is gorgeous), great restaurants, shopping, bars, etc. All the shopping you could ever want is nearby. Great schools.

Milford - Milford strikes a great balance between being very active and also full of natural, coastal beauty. It has the most shoreline of any town in CT and has no less than 8 town beaches and a state park beach with mile-long boardwalk. It's one of the few affordable coastal towns in southwest Connecticut that offers decent schools (the elementary and middle schools are actually very good) and low crime. The downtown is beautiful, greats bars (many outdoors and hopping in summer), a music venue, restaurants and shops, all centered around picturesque water features, parks, and the harbor. The green always has arts and events going on. Like WH, you're convenient to just about every store imaginable within a 5 mile radius.

Branford - A little more low key, but a nice small downtown and coastal areas. Branford is safe, affordable, close to New Haven and has a beautiful shoreline. You're also near Guilford and Madison, which are a bit more expensive and an older crowd, but are gorgeous towns. The schools are also good.

Middletown - An underrated city IMO. The downtown is worth noting, and with Wesleyan nearby (a "Little Ivy" school), you have some interesting development. I don't know if I would buy property here necessarily, but it's a good place to rent.

Hamden - Although lacking in character of the other towns and a solid town center/downtown, Hamden is very affordable and very convenient to the nightlife and restaurants of New Haven.

Manchester - Pretty decent downtown and plenty to do. Near Hartford for more options. I'm not as familiar with this town, but I think it would be a good, affordable option. JViello lives there and knows it very well. This would be a good place to buy after renting in West Hartford, as it's less expensive.

You'll notice all my recos are in the Hartford and New Haven/Bridgeport metros. There's reason for this, and that's because of the activity and job opportunities in those areas. You don't want to be isolated at your age and stage in life. I can't recommend the Norwalk/Stamford area because it's probably more expensive than what you're used to now.

My personal favorites out of all of those places are absolutely West Hartford and Milford. I chose Milford because of my job location in the Norwalk area and the fact that I'm a sucker for coastal areas, but I would live in WH in a heartbeat if I had a job in the Hartford area. $250k in either town definitely means a smaller house, but it's absolutely doable - so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. And nearby towns in both cases can be less expensive.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...price-0-260000
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...rice-na-260000

You should do some visiting as YMMV.

Last edited by Stylo; 08-03-2011 at 09:24 PM..

Old 08-03-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
You're a young couple, so you want to be around other young couples. You also don't want crazy expensive rent, and want to buy in the 250k range.

I'd preclude Bethel/Danbury. I spent most of my life there. As nice as it is, I'd equate the area to a Toyota Camry. Safe, reliable and predictable, but awfully boring and nondescript. As a professional in their 20's, leaving that area was one of the best decisions I've ever made. The job market up there is also a bit homogenous and corporate.

There are a handful of areas in CT that I really like for younger couples because they allow for walkable town centers, lots of activities, culture, etc.

Without knowing more than you've said, and where you'll be working, here are my top picks:

West Hartford - Great town center, relatively affordable. If you can't find a home here for $250k, there are towns nearby - and at least you'll have a good experience renting. Near Hartford for all it has to offer, yet much safer to live in. Nice parks (Elizabeth Park is gorgeous), great restaurants, shopping, bars, etc. All the shopping you could ever want is nearby. Great schools.

Milford - Milford strikes a great balance between being very active and also full of natural, coastal beauty. It has the most shoreline of any town in CT and has no less than 8 town beaches and a state park beach with mile-long boardwalk. It's one of the few affordable coastal towns in southwest Connecticut that offers decent schools (the elementary and middle schools are actually very good) and low crime. The downtown is beautiful, greats bars (many outdoors and hopping in summer), a music venue, restaurants and shops, all centered around picturesque water features, parks, and the harbor. The green always has arts and events going on. Like WH, you're convenient to just about every store imaginable within a 5 mile radius.

Branford - A little more low key, but a nice small downtown and coastal areas. Branford is safe, affordable, close to New Haven and has a beautiful shoreline. You're also near Guilford and Madison, which are a bit more expensive and an older crowd, but are gorgeous towns. The schools are also good.

Middletown - An underrated city IMO. The downtown is worth noting, and with Wesleyan nearby (a "Little Ivy" school), you have some interesting development. I don't know if I would buy property here necessarily, but it's a good place to rent.

Hamden - Although lacking in character of the other towns and a solid town center/downtown, Hamden is very affordable and very convenient to the nightlife and restaurants of New Haven.

Manchester - Pretty decent downtown and plenty to do. Near Hartford for more options. I'm not as familiar with this town, but I think it would be a good, affordable option. JViello lives there and knows it very well. This would be a good place to buy after renting in West Hartford, as it's less expensive.

You'll notice all my recos are in the Hartford and New Haven/Bridgeport metros. There's reason for this, and that's because of the activity and job opportunities in those areas. You don't want to be isolated at your age and stage in life. I can't recommend the Norwalk/Stamford area because it's probably more expensive than what you're used to now.

My personal favorites out of all of those places are absolutely West Hartford and Milford. I chose Milford because of my job location in the Norwalk area and the fact that I'm a sucker for coastal areas, but I would live in WH in a heartbeat if I had a job in the Hartford area. $250k in either town definitely means a smaller house, but it's absolutely doable - so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. And nearby towns in both cases can be less expensive.

West Hartford Real Estate - Listings of Homes for Sale in West Hartford, CT - Realtor.com®
Milford Real Estate - Milford, Homes for Sale - Realtor.com®

You should do some visiting as YMMV.
All good suggestions, but I'm not sure that any would fulfill the OP's want for "quiet". But solid recommendations nonetheless.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:29 PM

21,773 posts, read 28,115,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
All good suggestions, but I'm not sure that any would fulfill the OP's want for "quiet". But solid recommendations nonetheless.
Depends on perspective. I think they all are pretty quiet, especially given they're coming from a huge city. I guess if you live downtown in Middletown or West Hartford it might be noisier, but all the places I recommended have very quiet areas. You can hear a pin drop in my neighborhood.

Quiet for CT is Woodstock or Cornwall, but that might be a little TOO quiet for most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut