Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 09:23 AM

79 posts, read 122,976 times

Advertisements

It would be awesome if I could get some suggestions on where to move my wife and I to. I know ct fairly well, was raised there (pre-k through 12), but I joined the marines after I graduated high school and did my 4 years. Then lived in fl for school/wife's family/my family. So collectively I'm 6 years removed. Here's some more info:

Looking for a 1 bedroom apt, we have no kids. I'm going to naugatuck community college to get an associate in physical therapy assistant (I only have to got for like one semester). It's in Waterbury which I prefer not to live in (also I'm from Meriden, never going back there). My wife is going to school to be a teacher, don't know what school she's going to go to yet. Our budget is $850 per month.

Some of our interests are good shopping, non-chain great food restaurants, museums ( of pretty much any kind), we prefer mountains over beach, we will be snowbording in the winter, movie theaters (we really like IMAX), we also love NYC.

I'm leaning towards new haven but that's a long trek to Waterbury. And I know how bad some of the areas can be (unless there r some decent neighborhoods, and by decent I mean not run down and low crime). Hartford is not happening.

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 09:26 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
$850 for a 1 bedroom in New Haven will almost guarantee you're in a bad area. There are good neighborhoods, but you're not renting in them for $850.

That is an almost impossible figure for just about anywhere in CT, and certainly not for all the things you want. I might suggest Derby, as it's one of the cheaper places to live near NVCC, and at least you'll be close to good shopping, restaurants, etc. in Milford/Orange and New Haven. Milford has an awesome new IMAX. You can hop on the train to NYC in Milford, or just drive there on weekends (~90 minute drive from Derby).

Torrington is an inexpensive option north of NVCC, but there's not a whole lot going on and you're much further to NYC (but closer to ski resorts).

Last edited by Stylo; 07-30-2011 at 10:08 AM..

Old 07-30-2011, 10:04 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,977,743 times
Naugatuck has cheap housing, the Metro North to NYC, and is convenient to ski areas in Woodbury and Southington.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:06 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
Naugatuck has cheap housing, the Metro North to NYC, and is convenient to ski areas in Woodbury and Southington.
That's a longggg train ride. Better to drive to Milford or Bridgeport and go from there.

PS: those aren't real ski areas, mostly for kids. The real stuff is up 91 or Route 7.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, I guess living in fl has made me forget how expensive it is up north. I'll probably be able to afford more considering my utilities bill now is averaging $150.

Is there anyone who can tell me how much it would cost for a 1 bedroom in a decent neighborhood? And how much is a typical utility bill is?

Old 07-30-2011, 10:26 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, I guess living in fl has made me forget how expensive it is up north. I'll probably be able to afford more considering my utilities bill now is averaging $150.

Is there anyone who can tell me how much it would cost for a 1 bedroom in a decent neighborhood? And how much is a typical utility bill is?
The only place I can think of where you can get a decent apartment in a clean decent area for that price is Manchester or Bristol and Bristol has a lot less options. Maybe the Westlake section of Middletown but I'm removed from there for a while and don't know current prices.

If you can find something in Westlake, that's my first pick for you.

As for utilities, expect it to be higher. We have one of the highest electricity costs in the nation.

ETA I just looked up some apts in Westlake and you can get that at Ridgefield which is perfectly fine.

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartm...rtments/82769/

Old 07-30-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

As for utilities, expect it to be higher. We have one of the highest electricity costs in the nation.
really!? My parents owned a house in ct and they told me they rarely went over $200 in utility bills.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:27 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post
really!? My parents owned a house in ct and they told me they rarely went over $200 in utility bills.
Not questioning your judgment, but CT is a vastly different place now than it was when you moved away to join the Marines. Nothing you can do, and no amount of mission-orientation, can help you in the general decline. It sounds as if you're looking to go back to someplace that is familiar.

There are not enough jobs for the people who are currently IN CT, much less for anybody moving in. CT is one of the five highest-cost, highest-taxed states in the country, and has THE highest utility costs. I don't know how long you have been gone, but it is VASTLY different now. CT teachers of long standing are being laid off - there is a declining school age population, mirroring the exodus of young people who are starting families. Any teaching position that opens up will be hotly contested, and will go to the entrenched CT licensed teachers who have been laid off, and who are lined up six deep for each position.

As for physical therapy, please understand that this is one of those disciplines that has gotten whacked - BADLY - by the general educational decline. Consequently, an A.S. may not be sufficient to get you a job.

The prudent person who does not want to get eaten alive will move in with friends or family while looking for a job or finishing school. The harsh truth is, once you are here for a year, and have spent all of your savings and benefits in going to school or looking for work - if you are penniless, how the heck are you going to get out?

NOBODY but nobody moves to CT unless they have a five year safety net, and a Plan B.

I know the happy talk that the servicepeople who have completed their first tours are given... Don't believe it. The DoD is under the gun to reduce forces, and will lay on the happy talk real thick in order to ease people out.

Very best of luck to you.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:20 PM

576 posts, read 1,219,512 times
My ex payed 25 dollar only for electric and other utility included with the rent for 700 a month in a nice area in Norwich. Thats not a bad deal for a nice 1 bedroom apartment.

So yeah if you look around more you can find a places like that. I could be the type a person that would rent for 400-500 dollar in rent in Hartford and crime would not be a problem I think I am used to those things.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:46 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Not questioning your judgment, but CT is a vastly different place now than it was when you moved away to join the Marines. Nothing you can do, and no amount of mission-orientation, can help you in the general decline. It sounds as if you're looking to go back to someplace that is familiar.

There are not enough jobs for the people who are currently IN CT, much less for anybody moving in. CT is one of the five highest-cost, highest-taxed states in the country, and has THE highest utility costs. I don't know how long you have been gone, but it is VASTLY different now. CT teachers of long standing are being laid off - there is a declining school age population, mirroring the exodus of young people who are starting families. Any teaching position that opens up will be hotly contested, and will go to the entrenched CT licensed teachers who have been laid off, and who are lined up six deep for each position.

As for physical therapy, please understand that this is one of those disciplines that has gotten whacked - BADLY - by the general educational decline. Consequently, an A.S. may not be sufficient to get you a job.

The prudent person who does not want to get eaten alive will move in with friends or family while looking for a job or finishing school. The harsh truth is, once you are here for a year, and have spent all of your savings and benefits in going to school or looking for work - if you are penniless, how the heck are you going to get out?

NOBODY but nobody moves to CT unless they have a five year safety net, and a Plan B.

I know the happy talk that the servicepeople who have completed their first tours are given... Don't believe it. The DoD is under the gun to reduce forces, and will lay on the happy talk real thick in order to ease people out.

Very best of luck to you.
Jesus, it's not THAT bleak of a picture. You seen the unemployment rates in Florida or NC?

Five year safety net?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut