Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 12:34 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I sometimes want to scream at some of the people that post here. They really do not realize how much we do have here and just take many things for granted. Connecticut is one of the most culturally advanced states in the country and to just tell someone that is coming here for advice to not bother is just wrong.

The OP is looking for a small town/city that offers things like restaurants, bars, bakeries and shops. As JViello noted, Manchester has these. Glastonbury has these. Vernon has these, South Windsor has these. All within a half hour of Storrs.

If the OP wants museums, Greater Hartford has many and they are considered to be among the best. If the OP want live theater, Hartford has this and again some of the best in the country. Nightlife, again we have these. If the OP wants this in a college town setting, they could check out Middletown. I am not sure what more the OP could be looking for. Jay
x2
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 12:41 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,934 times
I would actually say Manchester here would be the closest to what you are looking for. As noted, plenty to do in town. My only caveat is that in Manchester, while downtown has a bunch of stuff - not everything is in one area so its a driving kind of town, although the downtown corridor is very walkable. I would also say - if you are looking for a house - look in the south end of Manchester. You can still get the country feel you might desire and wouldn't be too far from downtown.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
I would actually say Manchester here would be the closest to what you are looking for. As noted, plenty to do in town. My only caveat is that in Manchester, while downtown has a bunch of stuff - not everything is in one area so its a driving kind of town, although the downtown corridor is very walkable. I would also say - if you are looking for a house - look in the south end of Manchester. You can still get the country feel you might desire and wouldn't be too far from downtown.
Well said, and even if he settles in the country setting of Bolton or Coventry (Which will make a quick shot over to Storrs easy) Manchester is 5 minutes away when he wants to get a beer or some ethnic food.

Manchester actually reminds me a bit of Bangor. Both are small cities with stuff downtown and are basically the box store retail hubs of the region as well etc.

The downtowns are even similar.

Pellet: This is main street Manchester.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 10,137 times
Thank you to those of you who offered advise, I really appreciate it. Manchester does certainly look promising, and as was suggested it would not be a long drive to live in a more rural setting but have access to what the town has to offer. I have read these posts in every move I have made and getting local feedback and advice is really such a nice service that you collectively offer, I appreciate it. Though the move is unexpected, I am hoping to make the best of it and it sounds like there are some nice options out there. I am eager to explore in person...after which I may post a few more questions. I love the pix and the detailed info JViello, and thanks for the positive enthusiasm JayCT...that alone generates a better feeling about the area. I had no idea I would love Bangor so much...hopefully this next move will be another great surprise! If I may, I do have one quick odd question ...is Coventry lake a swimming lake? Up here in Maine there are some that are just not for swimming...but was thinking exactly as JViello said in terms of living in that area and I am an avid swimmer...so just wondering (couldn't find anything on line sorry!). Thanks again all.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellet View Post
Thank you to those of you who offered advise, I really appreciate it. Manchester does certainly look promising, and as was suggested it would not be a long drive to live in a more rural setting but have access to what the town has to offer. I have read these posts in every move I have made and getting local feedback and advice is really such a nice service that you collectively offer, I appreciate it. Though the move is unexpected, I am hoping to make the best of it and it sounds like there are some nice options out there. I am eager to explore in person...after which I may post a few more questions. I love the pix and the detailed info JViello, and thanks for the positive enthusiasm JayCT...that alone generates a better feeling about the area. I had no idea I would love Bangor so much...hopefully this next move will be another great surprise! If I may, I do have one quick odd question ...is Coventry lake a swimming lake? Up here in Maine there are some that are just not for swimming...but was thinking exactly as JViello said in terms of living in that area and I am an avid swimmer...so just wondering (couldn't find anything on line sorry!). Thanks again all.
You're welcome.

The lake most certainly is for swimming and boating.

And FWIW Coventry has a few places as well such as the Bidwell Tavern.

http://www.nearhome.com/needfoodnow/...lery&Itemid=62

Dimitri's, Cosantinos etc.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:16 PM

428 posts, read 1,173,841 times
Quote:
I sometimes want to scream at some of the people that post here. They really do not realize how much we do have here and just take many things for granted. Connecticut is one of the most culturally advanced states in the country and to just tell someone that is coming here for advice to not bother is just wrong.

The OP is looking for a small town/city that offers things like restaurants, bars, bakeries and shops. As JViello noted, Manchester has these. Glastonbury has these. Vernon has these, South Windsor has these. All within a half hour of Storrs.

If the OP wants museums, Greater Hartford has many and they are considered to be among the best. If the OP want live theater, Hartford has this and again some of the best in the country. Nightlife, again we have these. If the OP wants this in a college town setting, they could check out Middletown. I am not sure what more the OP could be looking for. Jay
Perfectly said. The OP is coming from freakin' Bangor, Maine. I mean, nice place, but not exactly the Mecca of happenin'. Manchester would more than fill the OP's needs, as would Glastonbury and all of the other towns mentioned. Bangor has a population of around 35,000. Manchester: 58,000. Glastonbury: 31,000. Vernon: 29,000. Even East Hartford: 51,000. How dense do you have to be to suggest that Connecticut has NOTHING comparable to BANGOR, MAINE within 30 minutes of Storrs?!?!?!

Old 08-03-2011, 12:30 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Quote:
I agree. So unnecessarily negative.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:16 AM

98 posts, read 111,618 times
Hi. I've found many of your posts helpful. I'm actually considering a job in Storrs myself and was looking for feedback as well. However, I'm coming from NYC. Clearly, I don't expect anything to be comparable to NYC but am wondering from the areas mentioned (and any others that weren't mentioned) what is a good fit for a single woman, early thirties. I'm not in need of loud, vibrant scenes (I've had enough of that) and anticipate I will be working a lot but different places to eat, gyms, spas, where I can pick up groceries, preferably organic, etc. I'm not too big on long commutes but am open to all suggestions. Also, a safe area as I know Hartford is actually worse than NYC. Thank you in advance.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:36 AM

468 posts, read 523,597 times
I grew up in NYC, and live in Storrs.

This area is very different from NYC. Any of the suggestions made three years ago will still be applicable. Manchester, Glastonbury or (if you can tolerate a longer commute) West Hartford offer the kinds of amenities you're looking for. West Hartford is probably the closest to what you're looking for, but the farthest geographically.

Sections of Hartford are bad, but you probably won't be going to them.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:27 AM

837 posts, read 2,081,953 times
OP, I would suggest that you and your significant other take a trip to Connecticut and check out the aforementioned towns on a first-hand basis. That way, you can judge for yourself.

- Glastonbury is a very, very, very nice town to live in. It has a population of 32,000 (much like Bangor).
- Manchester is very bustling with a population of 55,000 or so. If anything, it may be TOO bustling as compared to Bangor.
- I don't personally know much about the South Windsor/Vernon area, but I have friends who greatly tout those two towns and the amenities and services offered.

The thing about Connecticut is that most areas with bustling activity tend to be densely-packed together. For example, Glastonbury is situated right near Rocky Hill and Manchester. While each town has its own merits, the entire area will "feel" much larger than Bangor and its adjacent towns (i.e. Old Town, Hampden, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut