Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 09:10 AM

3 posts, read 5,180 times

Advertisements

My family and I are thinking of a move to Bristol or the surrounding and were looking for information about the area. I am wanting to know information about areas to live, areas to avoid, cost of housing (rent), schools especially. I have 2 special needs children and need information about school programs best suited for my Autistic children, if anyone has knowledge of the special education programs at any of the schools in the area. This would be of great help in making a decision on where to live . We live on a limited income because I am disabled and living on a limited monthly income budget so any information would be of great help. My wife has lived in Bristol before we met in Georgia but it has been 14 years since she left and we are quite sure things have changed since in that time frame. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 10:00 AM

576 posts, read 1,219,512 times
Bristol is normally safe small city... there are beautiful areas in Bristol and some small towns around Bristol which should have good schools.

Hopefully the members here can help you with better info than I do...

Old 08-13-2011, 11:12 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,436,931 times
What budget do you have? How many bedrooms do you require? Answering both of those would help narrow down what towns would work for you.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:48 PM

We are on a 2000.00 a month budget and need at least a 4 bedroom home possibly a 5 bedroom.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:28 AM

I can't help much with which schools are good for children with special needs as I have no experience with that, and sometimes the top schools aren't necessarily the top for special needs children. So perhaps someone else can help you with that or you will have to do some serious research on your own.

For 2000 a month you should be able to get a 4 bedroom home in Bristol or the neighboring towns of Southington, Plainville or Farmington. But if you could spend more then that it would help immensely. I would think you would be more likely to find 3 bedrooms in that price range. Your money will go further in Bristol then in the other towns i mentioned, and you will likely spend the top of your budget (2000) to find a home with that many bedrooms in that area. However, I wouldn't count on a 5 bedroom as there are not many 5 bedroom homes, period, and you would likely be paying more then 2000 a month for them.

Check for rentals on realtor.com or craigslist. But with craigslist be careful with scams, if the price looks too good to be true, it probably is.

When I searched Bristol and the immediate area there were 2 houses that had 4 bedrooms for 2000 a month. There were a few cheaper but your commute would be longer then 30 minutes with those. The sq footage in these 2 homes is about the average of what you will find for the budget. Hope that helps.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M31142-61634

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...2_M40214-47994

Last edited by KH02; 08-15-2011 at 05:36 AM..

Old 08-15-2011, 08:18 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
$2000/month is tough for that size home. Check out Realtor.com. You might be better off in some of the less expensive towns in the area. I'm thinking Thomaston, Watertown. Bristol might work. You don't want to be going into Avon, Farmington, Woodbury, Southbury with that budget.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 AM

754 posts, read 1,018,806 times
chippens hill area in bristol is nice. stay away from downtown. redstone hill area is very nice.

my choice though would be farmington or unionville

Old 08-17-2011, 07:15 AM

How are the suburban-country areas ? I am really into the small town feel of things ? Not keen on big cities or inner city sprawl, the town where I live now is in North Georgia and small and quaint. I am far enough out of the city to have a country feel (small enough where everyone knows who you are without even meeting you personally...LOL ) but close enough to the next city ( 15 minute drive to Ft. Oglethorpe,Ga. ) to get to the hospital, Walmart, Dr.'s office, etc... and ( 30 minutes to Chattanooga,Tn. our nearest big city ) to get to such places as the mall, childrens museum, aquarium, zoo, etc... Is there such a place in Connecticut ? If so what is the pricing on rental homes, purchasing a home, the schools, hospitals and the people and area in general ? I raise my children ( as well as my wife and myself ) to be respectable and thoughtful of others. My wife wants to move back to Connecticut (it is home to her and I have always been able to adapt). I just want a decent place to finish raising my children, where they can meet good, respectable and decent friends, get a good education so they can make something of themselves in the future and be better and have better than their old man. If anyone has an opinion or suggestion, I am all ears and interested and thank you for interest and help. GOD BLESS

And when I said we had a budget of 2000.00 that is our monthly income not our housing budget....LOL....thanks

Old 08-17-2011, 10:06 AM

If 2000 is your monthly income...then what is your housing budget???

Old 08-17-2011, 10:10 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
With 2k as a monthly income you won't be able to afford much other than a 1br apartment in CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut