Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 06:27 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Easier said than done.
Yeah, like:

1) Maybe he/she has a spouse who works nearby or even in the opposite direction.

2) If he/she owns instead of rents, not exactly easy to quickly sell your home right now. (Even if you rent, sometimes breaking a lease is costly)

Jobs aren't exactly growing on trees right now so sometimes you have to look "out of the box" and take something a little insane like this. But if I were him/her, and the job looks solid after a year I'd definitely try to move closer then. I commute pretty long (though nothing like the OP's request and fortunately with traffic-favorable hours) and if what I'm doing gets more solid I'd probably move closer after a year or two.

Oh, and back to the OP.....since you say it's the reverse (Westport to Teaneck), that may be almost impossible though unfortunately. 95/Merritt is going to be insane virtually all the way into the Bronx to the GWB. Sorry......if you can't go closer right away, maybe you know someone who lives nearer to Teaneck you can stay at? Worst case, since I believe you said it's only 4 days/week, you could choose to commute going only on the first morning of the week, then commute home on the last evening of the week and stay in as inexpensive a motel as you can the other 3 nights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 08:01 AM

332 posts, read 522,710 times
Find a gym in Teaneck (glenpoint marriot is nice) and leave CT at 6 or 7. Morning commute would be fine (at least until the GWB - I have no idea about that part though you are going reverse). I occasionally drive from Westport to NYC at that hour and rarely hit traffic. Your evening commute is going to stink though unless you stay in Teaneck until after 6 or 7.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:13 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulus View Post
Find a gym in Teaneck (glenpoint marriot is nice) and leave CT at 6 or 7. Morning commute would be fine (at least until the GWB - I have no idea about that part though you are going reverse). I occasionally drive from Westport to NYC at that hour and rarely hit traffic. Your evening commute is going to stink though unless you stay in Teaneck until after 6 or 7.
The reverse starts to back up around 3 pm in Connecticut. Earlier if on a Thursday or Friday.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:59 AM

27 posts, read 53,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Who said about burning though his savings? He's away from home sitting in traffic. It's work he could be doing at the office instead of sitting in traffic or free time he could be enjoying! HJourly wage is Irrelevant. I know there is no difference in home price so what's the point of staying in Westport. Why not just move to Teaneck if you want that job so badly rather than putting up with a hellish commute everyday?

Because Teaneck sucks compared to Westport. Houses on top off each other and no escape to the beach or country nearby. Apparently, you've never been to either town if you're telling me to move to Teaneck. Also, I can make some call on the commute if I need to do biz. One has to work and right now, due to circumstances, beyond my control, my job is Teaneck and my life is Westport

Old 11-29-2012, 09:08 AM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times
Sounds like a hell commute, I sure as hell wouldn't want to do that everyday. Do what someone else said, find a cheap a motel as you can find and stay there the nights your going to be working in Teaneck, and you drive from Westport to teaneck very early the first morning (usually before 6:30 you can get through without much traffic) and leave Teaneck around 6 or 6:30 the last day you'll be there.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Sounds like a hell commute, I sure as hell wouldn't want to do that everyday. Do what someone else said, find a cheap a motel as you can find and stay there the nights your going to be working in Teaneck, and you drive from Westport to teaneck very early the first morning (usually before 6:30 you can get through without much traffic) and leave Teaneck around 6 or 6:30 the last day you'll be there.
It was me who suggested that.

But I think it's a little weird that the OP is suddenly commenting on/bumping his own thread over a year later though......

Old 11-29-2012, 07:09 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
It was me who suggested that.

But I think it's a little weird that the OP is suddenly commenting on/bumping his own thread over a year later though......
I was just thinking that.. it's kind of awesome actually.. coming back and continuing the conversation like nothing happened lol

Old 12-02-2012, 01:03 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic33 View Post
Because Teaneck sucks compared to Westport. Houses on top off each other and no escape to the beach or country nearby. Apparently, you've never been to either town if you're telling me to move to Teaneck. Also, I can make some call on the commute if I need to do biz. One has to work and right now, due to circumstances, beyond my control, my job is Teaneck and my life is Westport
Please let us know the outcome of the story!

How did you work things out?

So many people have these difficult choices about jobs and commutes. It makes everybody
better able to negotiate these questions for themselves when they hear how others have
made their decisions, and how it worked out.

So, please do inform us! Thanks.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 AM

27 posts, read 53,676 times
Default not so bad

Only rough day is Friday afternoon. Commute from Westport to Teaneck via Merrit is a breeze. I pick up Cross Bronx Express to 87 South to GW and I'm there. Ride home a bit more difficult when I hit the Merrit. 4 days a week I commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut