Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:14 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,989,228 times

Advertisements

I doing some research and work on the Manchester Parkade, and I was wondering if anyone here was around for when it was in full bloom? Im aware Stop & Shop and Bradlees were the main anchors, but what was the third store at the end? Im also aware Shady Glen, Hobby Tyme, Jo-Anne Fabrics were all there as well.

Its this building: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6122/...bfbc9dd3_b.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 12:26 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,830,727 times
I think that spot was a movie theater. I don't remember the name of the theater though. They used to play 2nd run movies for a $1 and the screen was behind a curtain. They also used to play "rocky horror picture show" at midnight on some Saturday's

To the left of the theater was a drug store, but I don't remember the name.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:50 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,921,412 times
Radio Shack, Marshalls, an Arcade, Davids (nightclub/bar-became Capones) to name a few

Old 08-17-2011, 05:51 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
I doing some research and work on the Manchester Parkade, and I was wondering if anyone here was around for when it was in full bloom? Im aware Stop & Shop and Bradlees were the main anchors, but what was the third store at the end? Im also aware Shady Glen, Hobby Tyme, Jo-Anne Fabrics were all there as well.

Its this building: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6122/...bfbc9dd3_b.jpg
What kind of work are you doing? Are you part of the revitalization plan underway?

Old 08-17-2011, 07:03 AM

385 posts, read 363,081 times
There was a CVS in that building as well

Old 08-17-2011, 11:38 AM

352 posts, read 780,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Radio Shack, Marshalls, an Arcade, Davids (nightclub/bar-became Capones) to name a few
Yup. I think that was the back entrance to the tiny "mall" which included Marshalls and about five other stores. There was a little ice cream place in there at one time too, can't remember the name. Orfitelli's?

Walking out those doors you would see the the UA movie theatre (which is still there) on the opposite side of the parking lot.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:18 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,989,228 times
So where was the Marshalls? Seems like there was only 3 large spots, and they were all taken by other tenants.

Looks like the very end of the mall was the movie theater? Did it only have the one main entrance?

I run a photo website called Instant Classic Photography, as well as co-admin a group that focuses on retail, dead malls and abandon shopping.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,809 times
There was a video game arcade called Fun Stop. Fun Stop was in a very narrow hallway area..it was long and VERY NARROW like a hallway. There was a really weird store called Adam's Apple, and a strange novelty store Card Gallery...both were extremely bizarre stores and really fun to browse around in because they had stuff like switch blade combs, Chinese stars, all kinds of cool knives, and fake mice amongst a million other really weird strange and bizarre things. There was a record store called Record Breaker, and it was the best record store ever. Hobby Time was there too. Inside the mall area of it was Marshalls, CVS, a hot dog/ ice cream shop, and some other really weird store that I can't remember the name of that used to also sell a bunch of strange things. There were 3 or 4 other little shops inside that inside area too. Of course there was Stop and Shop and Bradlees.. and in the very way back was the UA Theater East.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:41 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
The Card Gallery was a chain. There was one in Fairfield for years. It was a great place to go to buy someone when you had no idea what to get them. Jay

Old 05-21-2013, 05:30 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,974,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I think that spot was a movie theater. I don't remember the name of the theater though. They used to play 2nd run movies for a $1 and the screen was behind a curtain. They also used to play "rocky horror picture show" at midnight on some Saturday's

To the left of the theater was a drug store, but I don't remember the name.
The movie theatre was not in that building. The movie theatre is in a separate building that is still there. It is now called Parkade Cinemas.

* * * * * * * * * * ** - Parkade Cinemas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut