Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 12:44 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times

Advertisements

I agree, it's pure madness in these war zones. I listened to a police scanner once but never again. It made me so paranoid. I frankly never had any idea that New Haven had such areas. Interesting thread.

Of course I wish there was more of an effort to address the CAUSES of high crime in these areas, especially among the kids. This is a national crisis now, where kids barely out of 6th grade feel they can settle their differences with guns now. It's crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 01:16 PM

11,305 posts, read 18,899,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
I'm sure South Norwalk sounds almost as bad, they just haven't digitized their system yet so there is no feed.
Or Bridgeport, or Hartford, or even a couple of sections of Stamford and Danbury....

Or going beyond, Boston, the Bronx, etc.........

Old 08-21-2011, 04:10 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,512,252 times
Based on what I hear on the scanner most of the crime in New Haven is being committed by very young kids. Just look at the 2 murders this week in New Haven. The city is just plain unsafe and I avoid going there unless necessary and if I do I am carrying my Sig Sauer P210. Not trying to turn this thread into a gun debate but most criminals in New Haven are well armed and the once thought safe suburbs are not safe anymore.

Look at the recent North Branford home invasion. Shotgun sales are up 400 percent as reported by a local gun shop in town on the news.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:23 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Based on what I hear on the scanner most of the crime in New Haven is being committed by very young kids. Just look at the 2 murders this week in New Haven. The city is just plain unsafe and I avoid going there unless necessary and if I do I am carrying my Sig Sauer P210. Not trying to turn this thread into a gun debate but most criminals in New Haven are well armed and the once thought safe suburbs are not safe anymore.

Look at the recent North Branford home invasion. Shotgun sales are up 400 percent as reported by a local gun shop in town on the news.
That's just great.

As in any city or town MOST crime in New Haven is petty crime. Thinking that MOST criminals are well armed is ridiculous and only perpetuates the myth that the entire city is unsafe. Downtown / Yale are is as safe as just about any city.

If you are scared don't go to Newhallville at 3 AM. I don't see the need to walk around armed. I am just not that fearful.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:55 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,512,252 times
The crime in New Haven is not petty. You think downtown is safe? Ranked the 4th most dangerous city in the U.S. Gunfire erupted right downtown at the clubs how many times this summer? Listen to the live police scanner feed posted here. You only hear about the murders that make the news. The city is not safe Downtown/Yale.

Don't want this thread to go this way but its my personal choice to carry legally. I have been told by a close friend who is a cop that most criminals in this state, especially in the city are well armed.

Look at the North Branford home invasion recentely.

NORTH BRANFORD – The community’s sense of security and safety was shaken this week when four masked men armed with guns invaded a Northford home, tied up the occupants, ransacked the residence and made off in the family’s truck.

Three of the occupants, including one child, were tied up during the home invasion, police reported. One of the suspects reportedly poked the child with a knife, but no one was injured, according to police.

Towns Around Us: Home Invasion Shocks North Branford; Rain Turns River into Rapids; and More - Bethwood, CT Patch

Old 08-21-2011, 07:18 PM

462 posts, read 737,442 times
Instead of new radios, they should be spending the money on assault rifles, body armor, and range time. It IS a war out there, and it's time for these cities to admit it and start acting like it.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:36 PM

521 posts, read 1,151,528 times
yeah, but the guy from the neighborhood where the latest murder was committed said on the news, the cops hardly ever come around his neighborhood, and if they do, they sure don't exit their cars, so no wonder the crime rates so high...
If the cops had made an attempt to walk the beat and find out who's doing what and to whom, maybe all these shootings wouldn't occur in the first place! The cops are too busy keeping themselves safe & not the public it seems these days.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:41 PM

521 posts, read 1,151,528 times
Default thanks for showing us this J, but how do you get this to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Interesting, here is an online feed from New Haven:

New Haven Police Live Scanner Audio Feed

we clicked on the link but there's nothing we can hear from it... do you need to register on that webpage in order to hear the broadcast from the NHPD?

Old 08-21-2011, 08:44 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,870,070 times
Quote:
Look at the North Branford home invasion recentely.

NORTH BRANFORD – The community’s sense of security and safety was shaken this week when four masked men armed with guns invaded a Northford home, tied up the occupants, ransacked the residence and made off in the family’s truck.

Three of the occupants, including one child, were tied up during the home invasion, police reported. One of the suspects reportedly poked the child with a knife, but no one was injured, according to police.

Towns Around Us: Home Invasion Shocks North Branford; Rain Turns River into Rapids; and More - Bethwood, CT Patch

Disregard this "home invasion" story.

Italians with an all stone facade house almost always= "Connected" in this state. This was not a "random" event, it was specifically targeted.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:05 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
The crime in New Haven is not petty. You think downtown is safe? Ranked the 4th most dangerous city in the U.S. Gunfire erupted right downtown at the clubs how many times this summer? Listen to the live police scanner feed posted here. You only hear about the murders that make the news. The city is not safe Downtown/Yale.
I go to New Haven all the time. My partner lived in downtown New Haven for 10 years. No problems. Never victimized. Doesn't know anyone who was victimized.

You indicated that MOST of the crime in New Haven is violent crime. Perhaps you were simply being imprecise, but there is no place in the United States where the majority of the crime is violent. THe majority of crime is cell phone thefts, people stealing a GPS from a vehicle... that type of thing. To say that the majority of crime in New Haven or anywhere is violent perpetuates a falsehood and causes undue alarm.

I don't know how many times gunfire erupted at a club. You tell me. I don't go to clubs.

Quote:
Don't want this thread to go this way but its my personal choice to carry legally. I have been told by a close friend who is a cop that most criminals in this state, especially in the city are well armed.
Again, you are perpetuating a probable falsehood. If you use logic and reason you could not conclude that MOST criminals are carrying a firearm. Most of the people who are criminals have committed drug or property crimes. If you think most kids who were busted for POT, or most of the DUI's (which is the most common crime in the country) are carrying, you're insane.

Are most VIOLENT criminals carrying? I have no idea. But you paint a picture of a "wild wild" west environment that is simply not reality-- if you actually spend time in downtown New Haven.

Yes, the crime in New Haven is a problem. If you feel comfortable carrying a legal firearm, that is your right and I have no problem with that. But let's not let others make that decision based on inaccuracies that you espouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut