Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 09:52 AM

3 posts, read 7,655 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm still relatively new to CT and appreciate the advice and opinions on this forum.

I'm currently living in Wallingford with my 4-year-old, commuting to both Hartford and New Haven for work. I LOVE Wallingford for it's convenient location, sense of community, easy access to shopping, safety and affordability, etc. I live within walking distance to the town center with library and parks. However, I have heard that the schools are just okay. I am gearing up to send my daughter to kindergarten, so I am considering moving to Cheshire (renting, not buying). From what I have heard, Cheshire is still convenient to both Hartford and New Haven, is a great family-friendly town, and has excellent schools. I have a few questions:

I have heard the schools in Cheshire are good, so is it really worth moving there for the schools?

I know there are three elementary schools, and to be honest, was completely shocked that Chapman is across the street from a state prison! Am I the only one who thinks this is creepy?

What can you tell me about the different areas of Cheshire? The northern part would be more convenient for my commute to Hartford, but I have heard that I don't want to get too close to Waterbury. Also, I share custody with my ex, who lives in Branford, so unfortunately I can't go too far from him. It seems like the southern part would also be closer to highways (e.g., 15) but maybe it's not as convenient as I'm thinking, and possibly more expensive.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 02:02 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Cheshire schools do perform well above the state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests but Wallingfor schools are also above the averages. Class sizes in Wallingford also appear to be reasonable so if you like where you live, I personally do not see any reason to move. Of course, only you can decide what is best for your child, so I encourage you to get to know Cheshire better before making a move. Also you can use the website below to get more information on schools in both towns and compare them. Jay

State Department of Education - CEDaR

Old 08-23-2011, 02:07 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
In looking closer at your original post, I have to ask why you would consider moving. Wallingford is closer to your ex in Branford, it has better shopping and you seem to very happy. The schools are good and it is more affordable. You certainly won't find as walkable of a nieghborhood in Cheshire. JMHO, Jay

Old 08-23-2011, 02:14 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,424,208 times
I would just stay in Wallingford if you are happy. Cheshire doesn't have a walkable downtown like Wallingford, or any walkable area like that, really. Don't get me wrong, Cheshire is nice enough and all but the schools aren't so phenomenal compared to other towns where I would move there and leave a town I like.

Bottom line is your kid will get a good education in public schools in either town. Live where you feel the community best fits you (and Wallingford is definitely more convenient to Branford than Cheshire).

Old 08-23-2011, 02:48 PM

172 posts, read 577,936 times
There are actually 4 elementary schools in cheshire. schools are very good! but like others said, not much in terms of retail, a town center etc. people on north end of town go to wallingford for their entertainment, the southern end goes to hamden. i don't agree that wford is closer to branford. southernmost end of cheshire gets you on 91 within minutes and gives you easy highway access to both new haven and hartford.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:46 PM

3 posts, read 7,655 times
Thanks so much everyone, it is really helpful to hear your opinions and advice!

Lizzie, my mistake on thinking there were only 3 elementary schools--oops! Thanks for correcting me. Obviously I need to keep doing more research

Ugh, I don't *want* to be close to my ex in Branford, but such is life. He might move eventually too so I don't want to plan around him too much. I was thinking more about my convenience, since I will likely continue working in both New Haven and Hartford.

I know I need to take more into account than just the schools, and Wallingford is also a great town to raise a child. It does seem like the only thing pushing me out of Wallingford right now is the schools, and as you mentioned, they aren't bad. I was just thinking Cheshire is also a very nice town, with even better schools.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:57 PM

184 posts, read 292,464 times
My friends in Wallingford are all happy with the schools so far.

Cheshire does have more of the "very high achieving" kids though, especially as you get into high school, if that is important to you. I'm not sure if I would be thinking that far ahead though right now - you can always move in 10 years.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:05 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,905,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon860 View Post

Cheshire does have more of the "very high achieving" kids though, especially as you get into high school, if that is important to you. I'm not sure if I would be thinking that far ahead though right now - you can always move in 10 years.
Why would someone want to settle into a home and town, only to completely uproot themselves and their children to start all over 10 years later?

Old 09-01-2011, 02:50 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
If you like Wallingford, I wouldn't move. If it ain't broke, why fix it? Excuse the colloquial grammar, I know it's ironic in light of advice for schooling.

The schools in Wallingford aren't a problem. They aren't underperforming. If you really feel like you hit a wall with your child's development that the school is holding them back, then you should make a decision to move. I think any child can excel in a school system like Wallingford's with the right guidance at home.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:33 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,625,561 times
Wallingford schools are good. Be careful who you listen to regarding how "good" the schools are. Some people are never happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut