Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 09:25 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
I consider myself an independent but I support Malloy. No one likes taxes, but the reality was that we couldn't go on spending without taking in revenues.
Why do we have to continue to spend and expand government. A 250% increase in 20 years doesn't send up a red flag for you?

Also there were no cuts, that's were you are getting bamboozled. There are just no more "increases" going forward. No one took a pay cut, nothing was downsized, it was just "frozen" for a couple years. That's not a cut. This years budget still grew, it just didn't grow as much as it would have and they call that a cut.

You also realize that they raised taxes by about 1.5 billion, to put a billion dollar surplus in the budget. Nice eh? Oh yea and we managed to find half a billion for a busway, and almost a billion for an expansion at the state run hospital. So yea, lets raise taxes to have a surplus and two "make busy" projects.

ETA: Make busy projects for out of state contractors I might add.

Last edited by JViello; 08-25-2011 at 09:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 10:49 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,870,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
He's finished. His approval rating is actually worse than Obama's.
Long, long way to go before he's up for re-election. He pissed off Stamford voters numerous times, but he always had a knack for timing it just right.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:30 AM

576 posts, read 1,219,512 times
I dont know, I think I like Malloy.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:41 AM

241 posts, read 543,687 times
I think it is a rare politician who announces that he is going to make unpopular choices while campaigning and then follows through. I respect that, and I think it is needed. So far I've been reasonably impressed with Malloy's focus on getting the state budget under control and his attempt to get feedback and participation from a number of sectors. He also seems to have done a lot for Stamford in the past, although big change is always controversial. But it is early to judge. Also, it was my understanding that the surplus this year was NOT expected.

To give a little bit of mindset into "the base" if I am representative of it: I get seriously annoyed at the attitude that government can't do anything well. I've lived in areas that had better infrastructure than Connecticut and much worse. One basic conclusion that I've reached is that good government costs money. No one particularly wants to pay taxes, but everyone wants well-maintained roads, a confidence that legally sold pharmaceuticals won't kill you, and the assurance that if you mail a letter it will get to its destination within a few days. From reading these forums, it seems abundantly obvious that many people are willing to pay a premium in housing costs for good school districts, and I see that as a willingness to pay a price for functioning government. It is important to keep pushing for improvement and to point out inefficiency (and yes, I've definitely seen inefficient government here!), but I find the attitude that government is always bad very troubling.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:59 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytlh View Post
I think it is a rare politician who announces that he is going to make unpopular choices while campaigning and then follows through. I respect that, and I think it is needed. So far I've been reasonably impressed with Malloy's focus on getting the state budget under control and his attempt to get feedback and participation from a number of sectors. He also seems to have done a lot for Stamford in the past, although big change is always controversial. But it is early to judge. Also, it was my understanding that the surplus this year was NOT expected.
Oh no, the surplus was built in right from the start.

I'm not sure how he is getting the budget under control. Just raising taxes without cutting spending...in fact spending more, doesn't seem like a very good plan to me.

You're right though, he said he would do it and he did. That's why everywhere but the cities that depend on the state the most voted for Foley. It's not shocking at all.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:03 PM

337 posts, read 1,024,073 times
I don't have time to write a long response, but I just want to point out that a wage freeze is essentially a cut, due to inflation.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:51 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
I don't have time to write a long response, but I just want to point out that a wage freeze is essentially a cut, due to inflation.
Inflation is very slight right now. At least for the time being.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:39 PM

337 posts, read 1,024,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Inflation is very slight right now. At least for the time being.
Quick Google search tells me inflation is currently 3.6%.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:50 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
He is doing what he was elected to and is the rare politician who is not factoring his chances of reelection into ever decision.

I am thrilled with what's going on? No. However, he is making progress, taking on unions and doing a passable job.

I know some wouldn't support him if he cured cancer unless he had an R next to his name instead of a D.

You wanted concessions and cuts and you got them. Now stop complaining about lines at DMV.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:32 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Molloy has only been in office a few months. It is too soon to say whether he is good or bad. He has gotten the state unions to accept concessions or at least most of them and he is dealing with a budget crisis. Hopefully the economy will get better and he could actually propose tax cuts by the time he is up for re-election. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut