Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,538 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My partner and I are moving to the US from Australia in the next 2 years. I fell in love with Connecticut when we visited NY last year and we would, ideally, like to move here.

I've been doing some research on all the different suburbs and countys, but it's very confusing. I have listed some points below for what we are after. I realise that this question has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find exactly what I was after and was getting frustrated!

- Close commute to New York City (by close I mean less than 1 1/2 hours on the train...I'm used to 1 hour train trips in Sydney)
- Safe area
- Area that has a nightlife/shopping district (few bars, good clothing/food shops)
- Affordable rental properties (under $2,000 per month would be perfect)

These are the main points I'm interested in.

We stayed in Old Greenwich when we visited, and while the shops were amazing, they didn't have many bars in the area to relax and have a nice drink...something we like to do occassionally!

I greatly appreciate all help and responses! Thanks in advance,

Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 07:55 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,724,498 times
Hi Katie,

Just a heads up, where you're looking is one of the most expensive areas in the country. I'm not saying that discourage you from looking, I'm saying that so you're prepared for a VERY high cost of living. With that said, for your budget there's a few options available. If you prefer a city atmosphere, you could probably afford an apartment in Stamford - it's very safe, they have a huge downtown, and a 50 minute train ride to New York City.
Another option may be Fairfield, which is a smaller, suburban town a few towns east of Stamford. It's a bit further away from NYC (about a 1hr 15 minute train ride) and probably won't have as many rentals, but it's less expensive. They have a downtown area (though smaller), and overall a great place. Very safe but also expensive.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:08 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
You can get an apartment in Stamford for that price. It won't be a palace, but it will be a decent place if you don't need a ton of space. There's a good number of bars, it's a nice/safe city (most of it at least - there's a select few areas to avoid), and a short train ride to NYC.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:08 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,448,465 times
Based on your #1 desire to be close to NYC, I would recommend living in Greenwich since it's the closest you're going to get to the city while remaining in Connecticut. Without bad traffic and road construction, the Bronx is only 30 minutes away driving south on I-95. If you want real nightlife, NYC is very close and if you just want to find some bars to frequent during the week, Stamford is the next town up and there are a variety of choices there. Most 1-bedroom rentals in Greenwich are around $1700-$1800.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:10 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Without bad traffic and road construction, the Bronx is only 30 minutes away driving south on I-95.
Even less without traffic! I hit the tip of the Bronx in 45 minutes from Milford.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:34 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
I agree that Stamford is probably the best place for you to look. It is a small city with all of the amentities you are looking for. If Stamford is too large and urban a city, you could look in Greenwich but be aware you will pay more for a rental and as you noticed there is not a lot of nightlife. Greenwich is considered one of the most desirable towns to live in in this country. It is home to some of the wealthiest and most famous people. Towns like Greenwich do not allow many bars or nightclubs because they disturb the quiet atmosphere.

Stamford and Greenwich are the two closest towns in Connecticut to Manhattan. Other nice towns that are just a little further away include Darien and New Canaan. They are also very nice and very expensive. Jay

Old 08-25-2011, 07:08 PM

160 posts, read 446,950 times
Quote:
Just a heads up, where you're looking is one of the most expensive areas in the country.
He lives in Austrailia, I'm sure it won't be too big of a change.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:06 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,141,781 times
Don't

Well okay, but just one of the southwestern NYC suburbs

Old 08-26-2011, 08:51 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
Don't

Well okay, but just one of the southwestern NYC suburbs
"Don't"??? What do you mean and why? Southwestern Connecticut is beautiful and one of the most desirable sections of the country. Why shouldn't they live there? I don't get some people sometimes. Jay

Old 09-08-2011, 10:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,538 times
Thank you to all who replied to my post, suggestions are very helpful.

I do live in Sydney though, one of the most expensive cities and I'm sick of ridiculous prices, especially for food and living (a can of Dr Pepper is nearly $4! my favourite drink ).

Thanks again for all your help!! We will make a decision too, sounds like Stamford or Greenwich is a good bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut