Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 03:56 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Maybe a little bit, but looking on Realtor.com, differences don't seem to be huge between a home in Redding and a similar home in Roxbury.
An Unaddressed Bridgewater, CT 06752 Home for Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #L129298 - Realtor.com®

212 Lonetown Rd Redding CT - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #98503849 - Realtor.com®
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 04:00 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Wow, that Bridgewater property is insanely overpriced.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Wow, that Bridgewater property is insanely overpriced.
I agree. Here is a better comparison.

14 Landmark Dr Bridgewater CT - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #98511344 - Realtor.com®

15 Dan Beard Ln Redding CT - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #98487582 - Realtor.com®

My point is that these southern Litchfield County towns are about on par with your average Fairfield County town in terms of home prices.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:23 PM

Yeah, similar to Northern FFC (Ridgefield, Redding, Brookfield), but only Bridgewater and Roxbury really. Even in Washington the price starts getting lower, and New Milford is the least expensive of all mentioned.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:25 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,495,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon860 View Post
Both areas have nice sections, and not so nice sections. There are a couple picturesque villages but all of them are extremely car-dependent, and somewhat of a facade in terms of having real community life. Kent, CT is incredibly beautiful for example, but I would never want to actually live there year round.

By far the most desirable property in Northern CT is near the center (e.g., around Hartford, West Hartford, Glastonbury, Wethersfield) though - why not move there, and commute out to the far-out sprawl areas?

Up until a couple decades ago, NE and NW CT were mostly undeveloped farms and that's what they'll be going back to.

Thats VERY subjective...

There's not enough $$$ in the world to get me to live in any of those places you mentioned, ie. central Ct. And where are those "not so nice sections" of Litchfield County?? And there sure ain't gonna be any reversion in the NW, probably not in the NE either. It's been WAY longer than "a couple decades ago" that they went from "mostly undeveloped farms" to what they are now.

and re: those RE price comparison for Litchfield and Fairfield county. A "normal" person can actually find a nice home EASILY in Litchfield COUNTY ( as you can in Windham county/NE as well ) in a nice area for $250K. Can you do that in Fairfield county??? Is that AVERAGE?? Maybe not so much, but there's no shortage of them. Just like there's no shortage of $5 million + properties in LC as well.

Last edited by LRPct; 09-07-2011 at 05:49 PM..

Old 09-07-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Yeah, similar to Northern FFC (Ridgefield, Redding, Brookfield), but only Bridgewater and Roxbury really. Even in Washington the price starts getting lower, and New Milford is the least expensive of all mentioned.
True. Though Brookfield is hardly in the same league as the other two. Brookfield's median home price is in the low 4's while Redding and Ridgefield are in the high 6s and low 7s respectively.

I was comparing Bridgewater, Washington and Roxbury to towns like Fairfield, Easton, Redding and Ridgefield (mid-FFC) in terms of what you get for your money.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:29 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,453 times
I would say the least desirable towns of Litchfield County are Thomaston, Torrington, and Winsted.. i don't think anybody would call them desirable (and that's not looking down on anyone, just a fact of life as far as real estate goes)

Take those off the table, and the other 2/3 are extremely desirable and expensive (led by Bridgewater/Roxbury/Washington), the last 1/3 being somewhat desirable and more reasonably priced (places like Morris/Bethlehem/Harwinton)..

Sometimes I think people who haven't spent much time there, imagine the wealthy areas to be kind of like FFC.. with idle rich soccer moms and lots of stuff going on, streets packed, etc. When I say it's rural, believe me, I mean rural in the 'cows crossing the street all over the place' sense, not rural in the 'we have a farmers market' sense.. lol

Old 09-08-2011, 06:11 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon860 View Post
Both areas have nice sections, and not so nice sections. There are a couple picturesque villages but all of them are extremely car-dependent, and somewhat of a facade in terms of having real community life. Kent, CT is incredibly beautiful for example, but I would never want to actually live there year round.

By far the most desirable property in Northern CT is near the center (e.g., around Hartford, West Hartford, Glastonbury, Wethersfield) though - why not move there, and commute out to the far-out sprawl areas?

Up until a couple decades ago, NE and NW CT were mostly undeveloped farms and that's what they'll be going back to.

That is simply your opinion, hardly factual. I would choose NW Ct. over the Hartford area any day, many people would.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
That is simply your opinion, hardly factual. I would choose NW Ct. over the Hartford area any day, many people would.
Me too. I'd choose Roxbury over Farmington anyday. And going by housing prices, most people agree with us.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Me too. I'd choose Roxbury over Farmington anyday. And going by housing prices, most people agree with us.
Yep. x3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut