Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:13 AM

24 posts, read 63,238 times

Advertisements

Ok, one more time. I was leaning towards Trumbull and have been focused on finding a home there, but we just saw a very beautiful home in Huntington section of Shelton...so I'm so confused what to do.

Anyone want to tell me why I should buy a house in Huntington versus Trumbull. Clearly taxes are a big reason, Shelton keeps their taxes steady for 5 years ....Trumbulls go up like $500+ a year (on the homes we have been looking at)! And someone on this board mentioned there are plans to upgrade the Trumbull high school and other town buildings so taxes are expected to increase more and more!

What about other things the towns offer? Trumbull has no town center, right? And it has shopping but as large malls, right? What about activities for kids, concerts, etc. HELP?! Why are schools so much better in Trumbull versus Shelton? Thanks for any advice you have to share!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 08:30 AM

21,733 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Trumbull has no town center. Just strip-type shopping and the mall near Bridgeport. There is a decent number of activities in Trumbull.

In Shelton, you have more of a town center feel, but shopping is a bit limited as far as big box and bigger shopping trips. But you're close to Milford, which has everything - and close to the Trumbull mall.

Trumbull's schools aren't "so much better" than Shelton's. They are rated a bit better, but not drastically so. You can't go wrong with either. Your money goes further in Shelton, as I'm sure you see, and the taxes are lower. Trumbull *might* be a better investment real estate wise.

You can look up the schools at GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

I would personally go with the nicer home for the money in Shelton if commute is not an issue, but that's just me.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:16 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,896,837 times
There are some beautiful homes in Huntington and the White Hills sections of Shelton. If I didn't have kids I would consider Shelton. Shelton is actually a small city, it's not a town like Trumbull. It is more economically diverse than Trumbull. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I think that contributes to lower performing schools. Not that Shelton has bad schools, but Shelton High in particular does not come close to Trumbull's high school. People who have sent their kids to Shelton High have complained to me about them, so I have misgivings about recommending Shelton because of the schools. But really, the schools are not terrible.

As for Shelton having a "town-center" feel, there is the small Huntington Center. Also the old downtown area of Shelton. Neither really give me a sense of a true town-center feel, though. Your shopping is still spread out throughout the city.

In addition to the Trumbull Westfield Mall, Trumbull also has a Home Depot, and the Hawley Lane Mall. Plus the movie theater. Trumbull is very family-oriented, and has a lot of town parks and recreational activities for kids. Choosing between the two is tough, it all depends on how much importance you place on schools, and whether you'd prefer a city over a town or vice-versa.

I'm sorry if this is disjointed, I have a bad cold and can't seem to concentrate today.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:47 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
I just looked at the Connecticut Academic Performance Test scores for Shelton and Trumbull and was surprised at what I found. As I expected Trumbull High School performed well above the state averages on the test. Shelton however, performed UNDER the state averages on three of the four areas (reading, writing, math, science). To me that says a lot.

State Department of Education - CEDaR

Shelton is somewhat of an odd town for Fairfield County. Up until the Route 8 Expressway opened in the 80's, Shelton was considered a rundown Naugatuck River Valley town. It was a town known for not spending money on its schools or amenities like parks and roads. This is unlike virtually any other town in Fairfield County which always prided itself for quality.

Once Route 8 opened, a vast amount of relatively inexpensive land opened up to lower Fairfield County so it became the site of many office and industrial parks, apartments and condos and subdivisions. Things changed and the town has been spruced up and will likely continue to. To me it is just no there yet.

The Huntington section had always been considered the nicer part of Shelton. It has some charm and some very nice homes but I do not think of it in the same league as a town like Trumbull. Ask people in Huntington where they live and they will say Huntington. If you say they live in Shelton many will get annoyed since it still kind of has a negative meaning. Jay

Old 08-24-2011, 12:50 PM

That is surprising. I wonder much is due to economic diversity and educational gaps in parents, and how much is due to the school itself.

Not counting CAPT, it does seem my local high school - Foran - has better statistics than Shelton.

I put little weight on CAPT after going to a high school that often was in the top 10 in the state for CAPT scores. They DRILLED how to take a CAPT test and sample Q/A's for months. We didn't really learn anything from it except how to take a CAPT test. I scored in the high 90%'s.

Last edited by Stylo; 08-24-2011 at 02:04 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 02:03 PM

24 posts, read 63,238 times
What is it about Shelton school that people complain about?

Do you think the difference in the schools has more to do with economic diversity?

Why does Trumbull increase taxes so frequently and by such large percentages? At some point won't this make it less desireable for people looking to buy. I feel like the highly educated people I know have moved to Shelton versus Trumbull for the tax reason more than anything else.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:07 PM

Again, if I were you I would choose the house and area you like best. The schools in Shelton are not bad by any means. Average in CT is still pretty good.

My caveat is that I am the author of this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/conne...g-picture.html

Old 08-24-2011, 03:06 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Shelton has a good tax base and a frugal government. This reflects the more modest means of the residents there. Trumbull is more affluent and for most people, good services (which include education) are more important. You need to decide which town suits you and your family best. Jay

Old 08-24-2011, 04:01 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,857,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Ask people in Huntington where they live and they will say Huntington. If you say they live in Shelton many will get annoyed since it still kind of has a negative meaning. Jay
Only amongst the very, very elderly will you see this attitude any more.

The "negative perception" boat sailed a few years ago for the rest of the population.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This reflects the more modest means of the residents there.
That usually results in higher taxes in poorer parts of CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut