Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 03:24 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its a Generation thing , and trend for the last 20 years. If you don't like it move out of the Northeast or out of the Megapolis part. But This isn't just limited to this region , its a National wide thing but on a smaller scan. The South is the only region ignoring the trend and this generation for the most part.
It has nothing to do with generations...it has to do with bass ackwards planning. You have to be realistic on how things work and what's most efficient. Kill the HOV lanes in Hartford convert that 30 foot wide piece of highway space to light rail. Noooo, that would make sense. Instead, lets kill a major automotive artery and turn it into a 10 lane wide blvd. Yea that's great. Maybe we can build a busway in Hartford with no real thought out transit plan.

Go ahead and tell me which Northeastern city added a light rail system from scratch in the last 20 years? Hartford? New Haven? Trenton? Annapolis?

However, I can name several in the South that have and are continuing to do so. Your argument holds no water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 03:41 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
It has nothing to do with generations...it has to do with bass ackwards planning. You have to be realistic on how things work and what's most efficient. Kill the HOV lanes in Hartford convert that 30 foot wide piece of highway space to light rail. Noooo, that would make sense. Instead, lets kill a major automotive artery and turn it into a 10 lane wide blvd. Yea that's great. Maybe we can build a busway in Hartford with no real thought out transit plan.

Go ahead and tell me which Northeastern city added a light rail system from scratch in the last 20 years? Hartford? New Haven? Trenton? Annapolis?

However, I can name several in the South that have and are continuing to do so. Your argument holds no water.
Actually New Jersey has built several lines over the past 15 years with another 5 planned over the next 10 years. It is a Generation thing , my Generation wants less Highways and More transit and livable Urban / Suburban areas. Your Generation wants more Highways and pollutes more. Who said anything about killing the I-84 HOV lanes , those are usable for Future BRT. Actually Hartford / CDOT is in the process of drawing up a Master Regional Transit plan. The South may be constructing new lines ,but its at a slower pace from what the North is doing.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:51 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon860 View Post
Most cities are removing highways entirely. New Haven is basically rebuilding one as is, even though everyone knows that businesses and residents want attractive, walkable streets. It represents a complete lack of vision, and a folly that all the residents in the state will be once again paying for for another 50 years. I'm guessing that all the planners still feel like they live in the 1960s.

This wouldn't be so bad in Bridgeport or Hartford (what's another highway?), but over the past 5 years, New Haven has been the only part of our state with job growth, so this just represents a huge missed opportunity in that sense. It's just going to drive more jobs from our state in the name of getting some faceless suburban commuters to their office 30 seconds faster.
No, New Haven is NOT rebuilding the highway. Look at the plans yourself and don't believe one politican out to make some headlines for himself. If you think a four lane road with wide sidewalks and a bike lane is a highway then you really need to get a reality check.

Also removing a highway has only been done is a few cities, not most. Jay

Old 09-07-2011, 03:52 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
my Generation wants less Highways and More transit and livable Urban / Suburban areas.
O rly?

I'm considered a millennial and I can tell you right now that not all of our generation is anti-car. In fact, much of this generation likes the privacy, isolation and freedom the car gives. It's a pretty small minority that are vying for its destruction and widespread use of mass transit in its place.

I do agree there is a sense of environmental responsibility, and the want to move back to town centers and walkable areas, better public transportation (especially trains), etc.

But I don't think you're representing an entire generation by saying it feels we shouldn't continue the car and advance its design, its efficiency (alternative fuels) and the roads it travels on.

That's just false. We are still a car culture through and through.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Yes i do , i follow alot of CT projects.....
Well you do not really seem to know the truth about them. You seem to be relying on incorrect or outside information.

Quote:
Actually the North & East Wards of Newark are very nice and crime in those sections is average , Camden has scrubbed its Downtown and Waterfront which have numerous projects underway. Paterson has a growing Restored Historic Downtown and a strong Middle Class in the Western section. .
And New Haven has the Ninth Square and East Rock. Bridgeport has The North End and Black Rock. Hartford has the West End and South End. Hartford and New Haven's downtowns are much nicer than either Camden or Paterson and as nice as Newark easily.

Quote:
Its a Generation thing , and trend for the last 20 years. If you don't like it move out of the Northeast or out of the Megapolis part. But This isn't just limited to this region , its a National wide thing but on a smaller scan. The South is the only region ignoring the trend and this generation for the most part.
I do not know that this "trend" has been going on for 20 years. It really is about 10 years at most. Jay

Old 09-07-2011, 04:00 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
It's really not going to be much different than it is now. Route 34 to the right hander to Ella is the same. Then you turn left back onto 34, everything's the same right up until the point you get past Yale New Haven. At that point, it'll be a city street instead of a "highway" (I quote because it's a stretch to call that tiny strip of road a highway) directly to the onramp to 95. It's less than a mile.

It really won't change it much. A few extra stoplights and hopefully a more attractive area.
How? The stretch that I'm understanding they're removing is over a mile long. Adding 4-5 more stoplights can add another 10 minutes onto the trip BEFORE factoring in the congested streets. It's a terrible idea, especially as there are a ton of people passing through to western 'burbs and they are trying to make it more pedestrian friendly. It's a disaster waiting to happen. Not very smart.

CT has enough traffic issues as it is. So while other states are updating their freeways, we're removing them. Regression at its best.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:09 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
How? The stretch that I'm understanding they're removing is over a mile long. Adding 4-5 more stoplights can add another 10 minutes onto the trip BEFORE factoring in the congested streets. It's a terrible idea, especially as there are a ton of people passing through to western 'burbs and they are trying to make it more pedestrian friendly. It's a disaster waiting to happen. Not very smart.

CT has enough traffic issues as it is. So while other states are updating their freeways, we're removing them. Regression at its best.
The area in question is only 1/2 mile. If the stoplights are set up well in succession it shouldn't add any significant time to a trip.

S Frontage Rd to Oak St Connector - Google Maps

Old 09-07-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

Dispite what you think there are well thought out transit plans for our state. Light rail is very expensive and most operate at significant losses which are picked up by the taxpayers. The busway is part of that plan and it will be a much more cost effective form of mass transit than light rail.

There is a new light rail line along the Hudson Rive in New Jersey. Jay

Old 09-07-2011, 04:12 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
The area in question is only 1/2 mile. If the stoplights are set up well in succession it shouldn't add any significant time to a trip.

S Frontage Rd to Oak St Connector - Google Maps
So they're going to terminate the freeway at exit 1 (going 34 west), and it will remain a freeway/offramp for exits 3 & 2?

Old 09-07-2011, 04:15 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Well you do not really seem to know the truth about them. You seem to be relying on incorrect or outside information.

And New Haven has the Ninth Square and East Rock. Bridgeport has The North End and Black Rock. Hartford has the West End and South End. Hartford and New Haven's downtowns are much nicer than either Camden or Paterson and as nice as Newark easily.

I do not know that this "trend" has been going on for 20 years. It really is about 10 years at most. Jay
1. Well from the amount of projects I watch , there are bound to be mistakes.

2. Your Right about the Downtowns of Newark and Camden , although over the past 5 years they have started come back with massive plans. Paterson's Downtown is starting to really become nice , although there are some areas to work on. But outside of Downtown all 3 cities have gem neighborhoods like the Ironbound , Forest Hills , Vailsburg sections of Newark , Waterfront and Northend of Camden , & the Great Falls Disrect , Little Italy , Stoney Road , & The Manor Section of Paterson.

3. Its been going on for the past 15-20years from NYC and outward in the Northeast and in the past 10 years in most North American cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut