Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 04:17 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
So they're going to terminate the freeway at exit 1 (going 34 west), and it will remain a freeway/offramp for exits 3 & 2?
The whole stretch in my Google Maps link will be re-developed. It'll only be a freeway from exit 1 to 95, meeting up with the new on/off-ramps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 04:19 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
The whole stretch in my Google Maps link will be re-developed. It'll only be a freeway from exit 1 to 95, meeting up with the new on/off-ramps.
That's better. I was initially under the impression there was going to be a simple off-ramp from 95 that would dump everyone onto a city street.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That's better. I was initially under the impression there was going to be a simple off-ramp from 95 that would dump everyone onto a city street.
Ah, yeah, nah. It'll be a bit more gradual. It's kind of a joke right now, not really anywhere near a proper bypass. Trust me, I'm all for better car mobility as a car person, but I do think this will do good things for the city - especially in better connecting a major hub like Yale New Haven to downtown.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:09 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Inbound (westbound) the expressway will end at Church Street. You will continue along North Frontage Road (newly named Martin Luther Kling Drive). This really only adds one signal to your trip since the one at end of Exit 3 will be removed with the ramp. Outbound (eastbound) you will get on the highway just after College Street. This also adds one signal to your trip.

The best part will be that those people who will be going to the Air Rights Garage at York Street will have a roadway connecting them from the end of the expressway into the garage. The road will also service the new buildings along the corridor in the future.

As for getting around this area, you could stay on I-95 to Exit 46 which is Ella Grasso Boulevard (Route 10) and connect to Route 34 a couple of miles north of I-95. Jay

Old 09-07-2011, 08:53 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,631,563 times
This is talking about N/S Frontage west of Church St, right? So it would seem obvious that YNHH and med school will take over with parking lots and satellite buildings. Drug dealers will be forced to exit I-95 at the ET Grasso Blvd exit (which they might anyway...).

Old 09-08-2011, 05:54 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Actually New Jersey has built several lines over the past 15 years with another 5 planned over the next 10 years. It is a Generation thing , my Generation wants less Highways and More transit and livable Urban / Suburban areas. Your Generation wants more Highways and pollutes more. Who said anything about killing the I-84 HOV lanes , those are usable for Future BRT. Actually Hartford / CDOT is in the process of drawing up a Master Regional Transit plan. The South may be constructing new lines ,but its at a slower pace from what the North is doing.
You're not getting it. I'm not talking about adding a few lines to an already existing, functioning rail system. That's easy. I'm talking about a growing city expanding it's infrastructure from scratch and creating light rail options. That's happening all over the South contrary to your post saying the Northeast has a lock on light rail transit.

Charlotte, Orlando, Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix etc are all creating modern light rail solutions. Some better than others, but they are doing it. I can't think of any city WITHOUT light rail in the Northeast that is creating such an option, please enlighten me if this is not the case as I don't obsess over it day and night. I'm talking about commuter rail into the city core, not a 100 year old line that goes to Penn Station, Grand Central or Boston.

Hartford? PVD? Harrisburg? Allentown? Willmington? Portland ME? Manchester NH? Albany? Richmond VA? (Arguably the South)

And to say your generation is the only concerned with the environment is pretty funny. Where do you think you got indoctrinated about all this stuff? Previous generations. You don't think there were earth worshiping hippies in the 60-70's and forward?

And for the record, I'd bet dime to a dollar I live my life with a smaller "carbon footprint" than you and many in your generation do.

I do it because I'm interested in efficiency, and if the technology makes sense, it makes sense. Our TDi Sportwagen is a good example. We average 46-48mpg on the highway, and the car is functional and utilitarian without sacrificing much of anything. Why would I not want it? I've tweaked my work truck (Turbodiesel) to get mid 20's while the average is mid-teens. My tankless hot water heater works great and saves a ton of fuel. I'm designing my own supplemental solar for hot water as we speak and after that I'm goign to look into creating my own 2kw wind turbine to supplement. Why not use it? Why not install a super high efficiency boiler? Why not use a "renewable" resource such as wood to heat? I have LED and CFL bulbs throughout the house, where it makes sense. They suck on a dimmer so they are not used there. Why would I not want to use 13watts of power in place of 60? Why would I NOT put high efficiency windows and doors and insulate to the hilt?

You want to know who the biggest gross polluter/purveyors of waste is? You guessed it...the inner city "poor" who don't pay for their energy, and generally don't give a rats ass about throwing garbage in the street nevermind recycling. But, you'll demonize someone like me and protect someone like that because they are "disadvantaged". Madness.

And since we are on the subject, go ahead and tout the European model...and then actually go there. Europe is VERY car driven in spite of what many here think. Yes they have many public options...mainly because the old layout and architecture of a city center gives it more viability, but they are also very car reliant/centered.

And *I* said we should kill the HOV lanes. Whoever designed them up here was paper smart and real world stupid. We have 2.5 lanes worth of tarmac taken up by one single lane. That in itself is a waste. Get rid of the center median not used for anything except a buffer and add an extra lane to the highway! Beyond that, many people do not take the HOV lane because there is no way to pass the retard in a Prius going 60mph thinking he's saving the world by hauling around a 400lb battery pack so you get stuck for miles behind captain environment. Brilliant, who thought of that layout!

*I* say can the HOV lanes and use that space to run light rail along the existing transportation route. Perhaps even - GASP, a regional busway that makes sense for the region and not just some "hurry up" project to burn federal dollars with no real plan or solution.

I mean OMG, can you imagine seeing this along I91 or I84?

But no, lets just leave 60 feet of basically unused highway there to maintain. Good idea.

But then again, I tend to have this skill called critical and rational thinking that we can't seem to get in government and/or out of obsessed OCD engineers who can't see past their draft and/or special interest folks who just care about themselves.

So you go ahead and think the world is full of neat little boxes (Ergo, I'm conservative, middle ages and therefore MUST be a "surburanite gross polluter") and try to put me in one, but the reality is it's that mindset that causes problems such as our HOV lanes in Hartford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Dispite what you think there are well thought out transit plans for our state. Light rail is very expensive and most operate at significant losses which are picked up by the taxpayers. The busway is part of that plan and it will be a much more cost effective form of mass transit than light rail.

There is a new light rail line along the Hudson Rive in New Jersey. Jay
Please see my above reply as I don't feel like typing it again. lol

I'll say this, and you probably will be surprised hearing it come from me. I'm actually okay if light rail is partially subisdized subsidized Do the highways operate at a loss? Yes, yes they do...pretty much 100%. They are needed infrastructure. So is a light rail system. Hell, I'd go so far to say the postal service is too. (Albeit it can be modernized and run much more efficiently.)

I'm pefectly okay with and understand we need things as a society to function. We do NOT need town clerks pulling down $92K per year. We do NOT need school supers more interested in collecting their 180K a year and pension and their next career move than actually helping the kids. We do not need crony capitalism with faux projects such as the busway or UCONN medical expansion.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:31 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Do the highways operate at a loss? Yes, yes they do...pretty much 100%.
Especially in CT where we get bent over and screwed by out of state drivers, who clog our freeways yet pay absolutely nothing in return.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:05 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
You're not getting it. I'm not talking about adding a few lines to an already existing, functioning rail system. That's easy. I'm talking about a growing city expanding it's infrastructure from scratch and creating light rail options. That's happening all over the South contrary to your post saying the Northeast has a lock on light rail transit.

Charlotte, Orlando, Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix etc are all creating modern light rail solutions. Some better than others, but they are doing it. I can't think of any city WITHOUT light rail in the Northeast that is creating such an option, please enlighten me if this is not the case as I don't obsess over it day and night. I'm talking about commuter rail into the city core, not a 100 year old line that goes to Penn Station, Grand Central or Boston.

Hartford? PVD? Harrisburg? Allentown? Willmington? Portland ME? Manchester NH? Albany? Richmond VA? (Arguably the South)

And to say your generation is the only concerned with the environment is pretty funny. Where do you think you got indoctrinated about all this stuff? Previous generations. You don't think there were earth worshiping hippies in the 60-70's and forward?

And for the record, I'd bet dime to a dollar I live my life with a smaller "carbon footprint" than you and many in your generation do.

I do it because I'm interested in efficiency, and if the technology makes sense, it makes sense. Our TDi Sportwagen is a good example. We average 46-48mpg on the highway, and the car is functional and utilitarian without sacrificing much of anything. Why would I not want it? I've tweaked my work truck (Turbodiesel) to get mid 20's while the average is mid-teens. My tankless hot water heater works great and saves a ton of fuel. I'm designing my own supplemental solar for hot water as we speak and after that I'm goign to look into creating my own 2kw wind turbine to supplement. Why not use it? Why not install a super high efficiency boiler? Why not use a "renewable" resource such as wood to heat? I have LED and CFL bulbs throughout the house, where it makes sense. They suck on a dimmer so they are not used there. Why would I not want to use 13watts of power in place of 60? Why would I NOT put high efficiency windows and doors and insulate to the hilt?

You want to know who the biggest gross polluter/purveyors of waste is? You guessed it...the inner city "poor" who don't pay for their energy, and generally don't give a rats ass about throwing garbage in the street nevermind recycling. But, you'll demonize someone like me and protect someone like that because they are "disadvantaged". Madness.

And since we are on the subject, go ahead and tout the European model...and then actually go there. Europe is VERY car driven in spite of what many here think. Yes they have many public options...mainly because the old layout and architecture of a city center gives it more viability, but they are also very car reliant/centered.

And *I* said we should kill the HOV lanes. Whoever designed them up here was paper smart and real world stupid. We have 2.5 lanes worth of tarmac taken up by one single lane. That in itself is a waste. Get rid of the center median not used for anything except a buffer and add an extra lane to the highway! Beyond that, many people do not take the HOV lane because there is no way to pass the retard in a Prius going 60mph thinking he's saving the world by hauling around a 400lb battery pack so you get stuck for miles behind captain environment. Brilliant, who thought of that layout!

*I* say can the HOV lanes and use that space to run light rail along the existing transportation route. Perhaps even - GASP, a regional busway that makes sense for the region and not just some "hurry up" project to burn federal dollars with no real plan or solution.

I mean OMG, can you imagine seeing this along I91 or I84?

But no, lets just leave 60 feet of basically unused highway there to maintain. Good idea.

But then again, I tend to have this skill called critical and rational thinking that we can't seem to get in government and/or out of obsessed OCD engineers who can't see past their draft and/or special interest folks who just care about themselves.

So you go ahead and think the world is full of neat little boxes (Ergo, I'm conservative, middle ages and therefore MUST be a "surburanite gross polluter") and try to put me in one, but the reality is it's that mindset that causes problems such as our HOV lanes in Hartford.

Please see my above reply as I don't feel like typing it again. lol

I'll say this, and you probably will be surprised hearing it come from me. I'm actually okay if light rail is partially subisdized subsidized Do the highways operate at a loss? Yes, yes they do...pretty much 100%. They are needed infrastructure. So is a light rail system. Hell, I'd go so far to say the postal service is too. (Albeit it can be modernized and run much more efficiently.)

I'm pefectly okay with and understand we need things as a society to function. We do NOT need town clerks pulling down $92K per year. We do NOT need school supers more interested in collecting their 180K a year and pension and their next career move than actually helping the kids. We do not need crony capitalism with faux projects such as the busway or UCONN medical expansion.
My god , that is alot to respond to....i'll respond to Transit first and the other crap later....

First , LRT should never be built in the middle of a highway , it should go where the people live / work which is usually along a main street. LRT needs Medium to high densities to work other wise they fail such as the case with San Jose's VTA which runs through sprawl and in the Median of the Highways. Thats what your proposing for Hartford , now Hartford is different then San Jose in alot of ways but if you build system like what your proposing not even Hartford's Dense core will save it. Now LRT should run along the lightly used Freight branches radiating out from Downtown Hartford to Manchester via East Hartford , Bloomfield via West Hartford , Middletown via Wethersfield & West Hartford along Farmington ave. Bus Rapid Transit should run along I-84 from Downtown Hartford to Vernon & I-84/I-384 from Downtown Hartford to Manchester those should be the only 2 lines. After looking at the Hartford - New Britain Busway , I changed my mind its better suited as a light Rail or Commuter Rail. Busways should be reserved for Interstates , while LRT should be reserved for wide boulevards and old Freight lines.

Charlotte has system in planning and its great system , a mix of LRT , streetcars and BRT , although the future seems in doubt due to republicans.

Orlando has one Commuter Rail boondoogle under construction which is a form of Railroad Welfare to CSX Freight and is the only project in Orlando Under Construction.

Atlanta's plans keep getting shot down , and opposed by the burbs....which is a shame because its really a great plan.

Dallas's plans have slowed and they have done it all wrong , the lines do not go where the people work or live and TOD is discouraged. They also have some the lowest ridership in the world for a system of there size.

Phoenix has some great plans and there taking full advantage of them , there just starting to expand there system and hopefully the build the full build system.

Here's whats proposed for the Northeastern Megapolis over the next 4 decades.....while its less then what the South is build we already have alot...

Light Rail
Northern Branch LRT - 2015?
Bergen - Passaic LRT - 2015?
Glassboro LRT - 2017?
Union SQ / Somerville LRT - 2018?
New Brunswick LRT
Purple line LRT (MD Suburbs)
Red line LRT (Baltimore)
Waterfront LRT (Philly)
Naval Yards LRT (Philly)
Virginia Beach LRT
West Trenton LRT
Yellow LRT (Baltimore)
Bayfront Hudson Bergen LRT Extension - 2016?
Canal Crossing Hudson Bergen LRT - 2014?
Grove / 18th Street Hudson Bergen LRT - 2017?
North Hoboken Hudson Bergen LRT - 2017?
Liberty State Park Hudson Bergen LRT spur
Newark LRT extension to West Orange
City Branch LRT (Philly)
Pawtucket - Providence - Fall River LRT
Norristown HSL KOP extension
North shore LRT (NYC)
West Shore LRT (NYC)
Bayonne Bridge LRT extension
Newport News LRT
Chesapeake LRT
Hampton LRT
Cross County LRT (SEPA)
Newark - Paterson LRT
Newark - Elizabeth LRT
Journal SQ LRT branch

Streetcars
Restoration of 23 Trolley (Philly)
Restoration of 56 Trolley (Philly)
Providence Streetcar network - 2-3 lines - 2015?
New Haven streetcar network - 2-4 lines - 2019?
Stamford Streetcar Network - 2-3 lines
Brooklyn Streetcar system
Grays / Washington Ave Trolley (Philly)
22nd / Snyder / 6th / City Hall Trolley (Philly)
Restoration of 6 Trolley (Philly)
DC Streetcar system - 4-12 lines - 2013
Crystal City/Potomac Yard streetcar
Columbia Pike streetcar (NOVA)
Lancaster Streetcar network - 1-3 lines
Harrisburg Streetcar network - 1-3 lines
Portsmouth Streetcar (VA)
Hampton Streetcar (VA)
Portland Streetcar (ME)
Worcester Streetcar
Manchester Streetcar (NH)

Heavy Rail
PATH Extension to Newark Liberty International Airport - 2015?
Second Avenue Subway
7 train Extension to Penn station
Blue line extension to Charles/MGH
Blue line Extension to Lynn
Roosevelt Boulevard Subway
Market-Frankford Extension to Roosevelt Boulevard Subway
Board Street Subway Extension to Naval Yards
DC Metro Silver line - 2017
Potomac Yards Station - 2016
1 Train Cortland Station - 2014?
World Trade Center PATH Hub - 2015?
New Harrison PATH station - 2016?

Bus Rapid Transit
Hartford - New Britain Busway
I-287 Busway
I-280 Busway
US 1 Busway (NJ)
US 9 Busway (NJ)
NJ 27 Busway
NJ 4 Busway
NJ 3 Busway
NJ 17 Busway
Corridor Cities Busway - 2020?
Crystal City/Potomac Yard busway - 2013
Silver line Urban Ring
Richmond BRT
Portsmouth BRT
NJ 42/55 BRT
I-95 BRT (NOVA)
I-66 BRT (NOVA)
Albany BRT system
Springfield BRT network

Intercity Rail
Lackawanna Corridor
Norfolk line - 2014?
Lehigh line
Cape Cod Service
Rerouted Vermonter service - 2016?
Improvements to the Northeast Corridor - 2026?

Commuter Rail / Regional Rail
East Side Access - 2016 ?
Newport News line
Suffolk line
Fentress line
Hagerstorm extension of the Martinsburg / Brunswick Line
Richmond Extension of the Fredricksburg line
Culpepper Extension of the Manassas line
Haymarket line
Sag Harbor branch
I-287 Rail line
West Shore line
Pittsfield line
Beacon / Maybrook line
New Haven - Brattleboro line
Central Branch (LIRR)
Harborlink (LIRR)
Woonsocket line
Kingston extension of the Providence line
New Bedford line
Newport / Fall River line
Restoration of the Thorndale line to Parkersburg
Restoration of the Cywnd line to Ivy Ridge upper
Restoration of the Stony Branch
Restoration of the West Chester line
Restoration of the Reading line
Restoration of the Newton line
Extension of the Westminster line to New Hope
Restoration of the Allentown line
Restoration of the South Philly line
Annapolis Line
Westminster line (MARC)
Jamesburg line - 2017?
Matawan line - 2017?
South Amboy Branch
Lakehurst line - 2017?
West Trenton line - 2015?
Lackawanna line - 2013
Pompton Branch
Old Boonton line
Danbury line extension to New Milford - 2017?
New Haven line Penn station Extension - 2017?
Hudson line Penn station Extension - 2017?
Stewart Airport Branch
Cape May Branch
4 more Stations added to the Fairmount line (Boston)
Extension of the Haverhill line to Plaistow,NH
Extension of the Lowell line to Concord,NH
Extension of the Fitchburg line to Greenfield
Wesmont Station - 2013
West Haven Station- 2013
Black Rock Turnpike Station - 2011
Pennsuaken Transit Center - 2013
North Paterson Station
Lehigh Valley Service
Harrison Station - 2017?
Ampere Station- 2016?
Downtown Norwalk station - 2018?
East Bridgeport station
East Stamford Station
Extension of the Newburyport line to Portsmouth,NH
Philpsburg Network - 2-4 lines (NJ)
Sparta line
Mount Holly Branch (NJ)
52nd Street station (Philly)
Laurence Harbor Station (NJ)
East Baltimore Station(MARC)
Pascack Valley line extension Hillburn,NY
Factory Pond Station (CT)
Main line restoration in Orange County,NY
Hillburn station (NY)
Orange Station (CT)
Pawtucket station (RI)
Radnor Transit Center (SEPA)
Brookland Station (MD)
5 stations added to the MARC Camden line
Extension of the Penn line to Newark,DE

Old 09-08-2011, 12:49 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
First , LRT should never be built in the middle of a highway , it should go where the people live / work which is usually along a main street.
I can't believe I'm going to argue with a teenager, but what you wrote above shows your lack of age and experience.

People live and work on main street? In a metro of 1.3 million people? No, people live in the burbs and work in the core for the most part. The highways are the transportation corridor for said region and all collect in the urban core. Having trains follow them is not ridiculous. I can guarantee you if there were commuter lots in Buckland Hills with rail, somewhere around say Day Hill road Windsor, people would park and take the train into the city for work. Guarantee it. They'd get used a hell of a lot more than the lame ass, worthless HOV lanes.

Besides if that was not the case, how, if you care to explain to you expect to get said rail lines built through so much private property. Eminent domain?

Anyhow, you can argue all you like about some Asian style world with high density towers all served by subway, trolley and bus in some condensed core but real life isn't Sim City and you can keep that pit of existence.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:05 PM

A high speed vacuum monorail on top of 95 would be fantastic. New Haven to NYC in 20 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut