Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 06:18 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,905,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon860 View Post
Prospect Ave is a really nice area. If you want to live in an urban area with amenities and culture, I think you will like it.

Cheshire is prototypical suburban sprawl, and everyone I know who has moved there laments that and pretty much wants to leave.

People will say it is nice because they are "lifers", having bought property there, or because their commute isn't as bad as most people's there.

Keep in mind that you can get a cheap house and more land in Cheshire, whereas in the central Hartford area you'll be paying roughly the same (or a little less) for a much smaller property. So I think a lot of posters here are also envious of the cities, because the fact is they are just a lot more expensive if you look at what you get for a certain amount of money. Nobody who is posting here is buying up the expensive 1-acre properties near the Governor's Mansion, in central Greenwich next to downtown Stamford, or in the East Rock or Westville areas of New Haven.
LOL, where do you come up with stuff? Judging from your recent posts, you do not like suburban and rural areas. But many others do, it's a matter of personal tastes. There is no need to try and justify why people have different preferences with your wild and off-base reasonings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You are looking into two very different areas. Prospect is more of an urban area. Prospect is a busy street but is safe.

Cheshire is a very suburban town. It is somewhat upscale. It has most of the everyday things you need like supermarkets, drug stores, restaurants, etc. You would however have to travel to either Waterbury, Meriden or West Farms for major shopping. Jay
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 07:19 AM

5 posts, read 6,228 times
Thanks so much for all your comments. I really did like Cheshire - easier to find something to rent in our price range than W. Hartford - some people say it's out in the middle of nowhere. My husband will be commuting to Middletown, and it seems about 30 minutes? At least it's not far from 691 & 84? Anyone else know about Cheshire, or other places that would be a reasonable commute and rent? I think that if I'm within 10-15 minutes of a Target, and not a whole lot farther from good shopping amenities, I will be OK.

Thank you!!

Old 09-08-2011, 08:20 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia1624 View Post
Thanks so much for all your comments. I really did like Cheshire - easier to find something to rent in our price range than W. Hartford - some people say it's out in the middle of nowhere. My husband will be commuting to Middletown, and it seems about 30 minutes? At least it's not far from 691 & 84? Anyone else know about Cheshire, or other places that would be a reasonable commute and rent? I think that if I'm within 10-15 minutes of a Target, and not a whole lot farther from good shopping amenities, I will be OK.

Thank you!!
How about Wallingford? Very close to Middletown and more shopping than Cheshire.

Also Hamden, North Haven, Woodbridge. All have plenty of shopping nearby and are near the mega-regional shopping area of Milford/Orange.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:48 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,238,212 times
As much as I love the West End and the part of West Hartford near Elizabeth Park, if you are working in Middletown, I don't see the logic of living on Prospect Avenue.

This neighborhood is ideal for those working in downtown Hartford or at one of the smaller insurance companies in Bloomfield. It's even close enough to walk to some of the employers on a nice day.

If you're working farther afield, like the UTC companies near I-84, you've got Farmington right there. Likewise, as you get farther from Hartford, there are plenty of desirable neighborhoods throughout the state that will give you what you need without a huge commute.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:31 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,724,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
As much as I love the West End and the part of West Hartford near Elizabeth Park, if you are working in Middletown, I don't see the logic of living on Prospect Avenue.
I agree with this. If your husband is working in Middletown, you may want to consider living there because it's a great little city. If I were working there and had the option to move there, that's where I'd look. Hartford's West side /WH are really nice but in this case IMO it makes more sense to visit this area than to move there, at least if you're working in Middletown. Just my $0.02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut