Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 05:20 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times

Advertisements

Feel free to share where you were that day, or if you will be doing anything this weekend in remembrance. If you don't want to comment, mark a few seconds of silence for the Connecticut residents below, and the thousands more, who lost their lives:

Laurence Abel
Bryan C. Bennett
Jeffrey D. Bittner
Christopher Joseph Blackwell
Allen Patrick Boyle
Alexander Braginsky
Frank H. Brennan
Thomas M. Brennan
Edward Calderon
Sandra Patricia Campbell
James Christopher Cappers
Christopher Carstanjen
Juan Armando Ceballos
Stephen Patrick Cherry
Geoffrey W. Cloud
Scott Thomas Coleman
Keith Eugene Coleman
Margaret Mary Conner
Kevin P. Connors
Joseph J. Coppo Jr.
Dolores Marie Costa
Brian Thomas Cummins
Paul Dario Curioli
Patrick Danahy
John Bruce Eagleson
Michael Egan
Ulf Ramm Ericson
Eric Brian Evans
Wendy R. Faulkner
Edward T. Fergus Jr.
Bradley James Fetchet
Paul M. Fiori
John Fiorito
Bennett Lawson Fisher
Peter Christian Fry
Richard P. Gabriel Sr.
Richard S. Gabrielle
Osseni Mama Garba
James Andrew Gadiel
Thomas Edward Galvin
Christopher Gardner
Peter Alan Gay
Peter Gelinas
Robert J. Gerlich
Lawrence Daniel Getzfred
Evan H. Gillette
Ronald Gilligan
Steven Lawrence Glick
Wilder Gomez
Kiran Kuman Gopu
Edwin John Graf III
Donald F. Greene
James Arthur Greenleaf Jr.
Pedro Grehan
The Rev. Francis E. ``Frank'' Grogan
James D. Halvorson
Sean Hanley
Christine Lee Hanson
Peter Hanson
Susan Hanson
Timothy John Hargrave
Michele Heidenberger
Howard Joseph Heller Jr.
John Henwood
Robert D. Higley II
James L. Hobin
Judith Florence Hofmiller
Paul R. Hughes
William C. Hunt
Thomas E. Hynes
John F. Iskyan
Michael Grady Jacobs
Mark Jardim
Robert Thomas Jordon
Richard M. Keane
Peter R. Kellerman
Maurice Patrick Kelly
William Hill Kelly Jr.
Amy R. King
Glenn Davis Kirwin
Stephen LaMantia
Gary E. Lasko
Robert A. Lawrence
Joseph A. Lenihan
Adam J. Lewis
Garry Lozier
Michael J. Lyons
Edward Francis ``Teddy'' Maloney III
Ada L. Mason-Acker
Kevin M. McCarthy
Juliana Valentine McCourt
Ruth Magdaline McCourt
Eamon J. McEneaney
Michael Gregory McGinty
Francis Noel McGuinn
William J. Meehan Jr.
Eskedar Melaku
Raymond J. Metz III
Joel Miller
Michael Matthew Miller
Cheryl Ann Monyak
Lindsay S. Morehouse
Jude Joseph Moussa
Cesar Augusto Murillo
Christopher William Murphy
Daniel R. Nolan
Robert Walter Noonan
Scott J. O'Brien
Timothy Michael O'Brien
James Andrew O'Grady
Christopher Orgielewicz
Margaret Orloske
Thomas Anthony Palazzo
James Matthew Patrick
Michel Adrian Pelletier
Joshua Piver
Roger Mark Rasweiler
Jean Roger
Sean Rooney
Michael Craig Rothberg
James M. Roux
Jason E. Sabbag
Jesus Sanchez
Stacey Leigh Sanders
Sean Schielke
John Schwartz
Randolph Scott
Michael John Simon
Heather Lee Smith
Dianne Bulls Snyder
Gregory T. Spagnoletti
George E. Spencer III
Derek James Statkevicus
Craig William Staub
Andrew Stergiopoulous
Madeline Sweeney
Michael C. ``Mac'' Tarrou
Thomas F. Theurkauf Jr.
Eric Raymond Thorpe
Amy Elizabeth Toyen
Tyler V. Ugolyn
Jonathan J. Uman
Allen V. Upton
Bradley H. Vadas
Edward Raymond Vanacore
Frederick T. Varacchi
James Thomas `'Muddy'' Waters Jr.
Jeffrey David Wiener
Candace Lee Williams
John Williamson
William Eben Wilson
David H. Winton
Christopher W. Wodenshek
Martin P. Wohlforth
John Bentley Works
Edward P. York
Charles A. Zion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 05:36 AM

I was a sophomore in college doing an internship at One Liberty Plaza. I was living with my girlfriend at the time in Cos Cob, and would take the express to GCT, arrive at 7:30 and make my way downtown. That morning, I had just arrived and was getting my notes ready when our professor called, and said there had been an accident and to leave. A few minutes before he called, we heard a muffled bang, but didn't think anything of it - we were in the interior of the third floor. We made our way to the Fulton Street stop and looked up and saw the smoke. We were shocked to see that, but figured it was an accident. We caught the last train home, got off in Greenwich and went to the diner. That's when we learned the gravity of the situation.

A friend of mine from New Canaan lost her older brother. A neighbor lost his wife. Everyone seemed to know someone who knows someone who knows someone. It was not only a national tragedy, but a local one as well. I read yesterday that the youngest victim on 9/11 had ties to Connecticut - Christine Hanson was headed to California with her parents, who grew up in Easton. The youngest victim from Connecticut, Julie McCourt, was on the same flight, hoping to visit Disneyland with her mom.

Lots of folks originally from Connecticut aren't on this list because they had changed addresses to NYC, so the toll is far greater than 157.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 09-09-2011 at 05:44 AM..

Old 09-09-2011, 05:38 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
I was a senior at Granby Memorial High School. We were called down to the cafeteria to watch the event as it happened on the TV. It was pretty frightening.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:40 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,171 times
i was at work which was in a hospital in an office position - i had a radio on and was listening to music when all of a sudden the music was stopped by a broadcast on what was happening in new york city - i stopped working and was listening but i kept thinking i was not hearing this correctly - about 5 minutes later i heard woman screaming and i knew at that moment i heard everything correctly - shortly after that we were informed by the hospital that all employees were required to stay to assist in providing support to the casualities but as we found out very few people were found alive and we left at the end of our normal shifts - it was and will remain one of the most horrible days in my life

Old 09-09-2011, 05:48 AM

Thanks for sharing.

I also want to make note that the 60 service members from Connecticut who lost their lives in the War on Terror I also consider 9/11 victims. Lets not forget them.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:14 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,691,991 times
i was out of work (as usual) and was upstairs on the computer browsing through UConn's message board when i came across a post announcing the plane crash having no clue of this since the TV was off. i ran downstairs and turned on the TV and couldn't believe what i saw. don't remember whether the 2nd plane had already hit by this point but it was definitely before either building had collapsed.
later in the morning, i went to work out and all the TV's had coverage of the attack but i seemed to be the only one transfixed. i was amazed at the lack of interest the other people were displaying. it was like this happened every day or was just another event overseas.

Last edited by Slipperman; 09-09-2011 at 07:07 AM..

Old 09-09-2011, 06:20 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
I was in my office in Montreal.

The week before, I'd been in NYC visiting friends.

I spent the next two days tracking down my friends on the phone to make sure that they were alright. Many phone lines were out of service, as was cell phone coverage. They were all fine, thank God.

Every time I saw video footage of the planes hitting the WTC, it was like a jolt to the core of my being. I kept thinking, "The next time I see it, it won't be so shocking." But it *was* so shocking. Every single time I see that footage, even almost 10 years later, it affects me as if I hadn't seen it 1000 times before. It'll be that shocking until my last day on earth, as will the other awful events of that day.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:34 AM

588 posts, read 1,872,191 times
I was at work in NYC, on 8th Ave. I had just sat down at my desk, looked out my office window, and saw the first tower on fire. I almost choked on my breakfast. I called up a close friend who was in World Financial (across the street) and left him a panicked voicemail, not really sure if I was making sense. I then stood there in awe as me and my office-mate watched the 2nd plane zoom up the river and hit the other tower. It was almost like a bad special effects scene of an older movie - the plane disappears for a second, then there is the explosion (yes, Michael Bay overdoes his explosions a bit). We then went to a conference room and watched in shock as the fires got worse, and tried to console 1 of our coworkers whose father worked on the 90-something floor (he obviously didn't make it out). We all stood there in shock as a huge puff of smoke came out and the building just disappeared. I had just moved into the West village a month earlier, and was glad I had my new NY license - I had to show ID and dodge tons of military and police just to get home. There was so much fear from everyone, especially residents who lived closer to downtown and we could smell the smoke for days and days.

I'm grateful that all of the people I know personally who worked in and around WTC made it out safely, even those that I didn't speak to any more but I know worked there. And for those who lost someone close to them, this is a day that will not be forgotten.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:11 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,691,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I was in my office in Montreal.

The week before, I'd been in NYC visiting friends.

I spent the next two days tracking down my friends on the phone to make sure that they were alright. Many phone lines were out of service, as was cell phone coverage. They were all fine, thank God.

Every time I saw video footage of the planes hitting the WTC, it was like a jolt to the core of my being. I kept thinking, "The next time I see it, it won't be so shocking." But it *was* so shocking. Every single time I see that footage, even almost 10 years later, it affects me as if I hadn't seen it 1000 times before. It'll be that shocking until my last day on earth, as will the other awful events of that day.
same here.. just thinking of the terror those people in the planes must have felt as they got closer and closer to the buildings shakes me to the core. must have been a nightmare which thankfully didn't last long.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:36 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
A friend of mine is one of the people on the list. It brings tears to my eyes seeing his name there. He was the son of my parents best friends and a person I looked up to growing up. They never found his remains. His death there caused tremendous pain for his family. Wonderful people who did not deserve it. He left a wife, young daughter, mother, sick father, sisters and a brother-in-law.

That day I was getting out of my car for a meeting when the security guard pulled up and said a plane just hit the World Trade Center. Going into the meeting I mentioned this to others there. Toward the end of the meeting my boss left to see what was going on. He came back and said it was VERY serious. My stomach sank.

I went to a nearby office and listened to the news. I knew my friend worked there but he traveled a lot. I was hoping he was away. I decided to head home instead of going back to the office. I called his mother. She answered the phone crying, said she talked to him last night and he was going to be there for a meeting and she and her husband were all alone. I immediately called my family and told them to get over there which they did. My wife and I watched the news in horror. We picked the kids up early and told them what happened. They were young but I think they knew how bad it was. The next several weeks were bad waiting for any news of my friend. There was nothing. A couple of months later, the family held a memorial service. It was so sad. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut