Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:18 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgeport Rising View Post
as long as you stay away from the gangs walking the streets with AK-47s right at the border that shoot to kill, I think you will be ok.

sometimes they do random blasts of the country club neighborhood, so you should make sure you dont sleep next to a window

Otherwise, I wouldnt worry about it.

in case you cannot tell, this post is sarcasm.
Yeah this is VERY sarcastic.

To the OP, the area you selected is beautiful and safe. It does border Bridgeport but it is a very nice section of Bridgeport. Do not worry. I am surprised that Dazzelman has not replied, he lives in that area and likes it a lot. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 10:01 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
The section of Bridgeport you really want to avoid is not on the border with Fairfield, but on the eastern half of town.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:50 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,870,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
The section of Bridgeport you really want to avoid is not on the border with Fairfield, but on the eastern half of town.
Eh, most of the territory that is south of Rt.1(North Ave.) is best avoided as well.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:31 PM

74 posts, read 299,815 times
We live in one of the last few side streets off of Stratfield Road before it becomes Brooklawn Avenue as well, so I can give you a lowdown.

We love - not like, love our neighborhood. Just this weekend we had a great time enjoying the weather and walking to the Septemberfest at Our Lady of Assumption Church. It's a very popular event around here. Our children play in the street, ride their bikes, scooters, and run from home to home enjoying each other's company. Our neighbors are the real term of neighborly.

HOWEVER. This summer, there was a few weeks of break-ins all over Stratfield, which encompasses more than just the few streets near Bridgeport. Cars were stolen, broken into, and I even caught some boys stealing something out of my neighbors garage in broad daylight - they thought no one was around. They returned the item, and I did my clucking "what would your mother say?" bit. The police "presence" was stepped a bit, residents were warned, the Neighborhood Watch emails were all out and we were all a bit more vigilant. It stopped. It will probably happen again next summer, when youngsters are bored, restless, and have nothing to do with their afternoons/evenings. We locked our cars, our garages, and kept an eye on each other's houses.

I feel like you should know what went on, but that this a real community, and a good place to live.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:10 PM

3 posts, read 4,188 times
Thanks for the info CTNYCT. I think we jumped on this house a bit quickly wihout checking the area out properly due to time constraints. We can't get out of the purchase now but I'll definitely be fitting an alarm and keeping my wits about me.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:19 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,954,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmy76 View Post
Hi All,

We just moved to CT and had an offer accepted on a house in Fairfield (our first purchase). After reading some threads on here and elsewhere I am now worried it might be too close to less desirable areas. The house we bought is on a quiet side street off Strafield Rd at the north end of Brooklawn Country Club. The immediate neighborhood itself looks very nice but I just noticed it is close to a Bridgeport zip code area so I am having second thoughts.

Is this a decent area? Is it far enough away from the bad areas of Bridgeport?

Thanks in advance for any info.
You'll live right near me. Welcome to the neighborhood. I love this section of town, and there's no difference in crime between here and anywhere else in town. You don't know me, but let me assure you that I like isolation from undesirable elements and would never have moved to a neighborhood where I would be exposed to them to any extent greater than is unavoidable.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTNYCT View Post
We live in one of the last few side streets off of Stratfield Road before it becomes Brooklawn Avenue as well, so I can give you a lowdown.

We love - not like, love our neighborhood. Just this weekend we had a great time enjoying the weather and walking to the Septemberfest at Our Lady of Assumption Church. It's a very popular event around here. Our children play in the street, ride their bikes, scooters, and run from home to home enjoying each other's company. Our neighbors are the real term of neighborly.

HOWEVER. This summer, there was a few weeks of break-ins all over Stratfield, which encompasses more than just the few streets near Bridgeport. Cars were stolen, broken into, and I even caught some boys stealing something out of my neighbors garage in broad daylight - they thought no one was around. They returned the item, and I did my clucking "what would your mother say?" bit. The police "presence" was stepped a bit, residents were warned, the Neighborhood Watch emails were all out and we were all a bit more vigilant. It stopped. It will probably happen again next summer, when youngsters are bored, restless, and have nothing to do with their afternoons/evenings. We locked our cars, our garages, and kept an eye on each other's houses.

I feel like you should know what went on, but that this a real community, and a good place to live.
Unfortunately, that type of thing goes on all over town. It's not limited to Stratfield.

I was at the Assumption Septemberfest too.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:26 PM

That's a beautiful street. I love that neighborhood. I'd have no worries about moving there. Anything that can happen there can happen anywhere.

I jog and ride my bike through there all the time. Maybe we'll meet!

Last edited by JayCT; 09-19-2011 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: Removed deleted quote

Old 09-19-2011, 05:40 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Please do not publish your street or address on this forum. I have deleted this personal information. JayCT, Moderator

Old 10-27-2011, 08:39 AM

18 posts, read 42,069 times
Congratulations on the new home purchase. Honestly, all of Fairfield suffers from some amount of crime, but it is generally petty. I, too live on a street off of Stratfield. Twice my car was gone through (but nothing taken) by some teenagers. Really it's just common sense (lock your car and house at night-I didn;t in those two instances).

Although many people fear the Bridgeport zip code, there are actually so many fantastic places very near this part of Fairfield, mostly for eating. Coyote Flaco is technically Bridgeport, but great Mexican food. If you drive down Capital, you'll get to Julian's Brick Oven Pizza on Madison (one of the best pizza places around IMO), and then you'll get to Sorrento's Italian Deli.. Phenomenal foods,...on Main st.

Bottom line, use common sense and don;t be afraid of Bridgeport.

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut