Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:22 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,954,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I would challenge "smartest" but that's another discussion. Hillary is Marxist, plain and simple. Ever read her thesis giving praise, credit and admonition to Saul Alinsky? But I digress...

Perhaps then Jay, you would support the original system our founders put in place. The state legislators would vote and appoint congressman. That's the way it used to be until 1913. State legislators "voted" on who went to congress to represent the state. In a representative government, I actually agree with that because our representatives are supposed to reflect us. It's much easier to get to know a local elected official over some TV commercial. (Which is much the way guys like Joe Markley got in...door to door grass roots campaign.)

Unless you live in this state full of moonbats in the legislature.
State legislatures elected US Senators, not the members of the House of Representatives. House members were always popularly elected; they were supposed to be closest to the people.

Maybe we should consider increasing the size of the House. It is not set in the constitution, and it has been changed in the past. The number of people in each congressional district has been inexorably rising as the size of the House was fixed at 435, and maybe Representatives are getting too far from the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 10:44 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Governing is not the same skill set as running a business-- Even a big business. Some successfully make the transition from one to the other... Others get elected and govern poorly.

That having been said, we need good representatives from all walks of professional life. We need people who are open minded and intelligent and will govern with a sense of what's best for the people-- not from a predetermined set of political dogmas.

I don't find Linda's style particularly compelling and her achievements are questionable to say the least. She is helping to run the second generation of a multi-generational family business that is rooted in illegal drug use and misogyny. Not my cup of tea. Her campaign revealed her to have a particular hostility to the middle class-- People worth hundreds of millions who think people who make 55K make too much money scare me.

Chris Shays, on the other hand, is an accomplished politician, who has been in touch with the 'average' people of Connecticut, understands the amount of waste in wartime contracting in particular, and shies away from Ultra-RightWing-Christian-centric social policy. In other words, he's a Republican I would likely vote for over Bycewiecz or other Democratic candidates.

But of course, the Republicans will likely lose my vote again by running Linda because they worship money they don't have.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Governing is not the same skill set as running a business-- Even a big business. Some successfully make the transition from one to the other... Others get elected and govern poorly.

That having been said, we need good representatives from all walks of professional life. We need people who are open minded and intelligent and will govern with a sense of what's best for the people-- not from a predetermined set of political dogmas.

I don't find Linda's style particularly compelling and her achievements are questionable to say the least. She is helping to run the second generation of a multi-generational family business that is rooted in illegal drug use and misogyny. Not my cup of tea. Her campaign revealed her to have a particular hostility to the middle class-- People worth hundreds of millions who think people who make 55K make too much money scare me.

Chris Shays, on the other hand, is an accomplished politician, who has been in touch with the 'average' people of Connecticut, understands the amount of waste in wartime contracting in particular, and shies away from Ultra-RightWing-Christian-centric social policy. In other words, he's a Republican I would likely vote for over Bycewiecz or other Democratic candidates.

But of course, the Republicans will likely lose my vote again by running Linda because they worship money they don't have.
I always liked Shays and I hope the Republicans nominate him. They'd be idiots to let McMahon buy the nomination again. Her ceiling is about 43% of the vote, so she could only win if the opposition were split by a third party candidate. I see no reason she'd do better in 2012 than 2010, especially in a presidential election year in which the opposite party is expected to carry the state. Let her find another way to occupy her time and waste her money.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:18 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
State legislatures elected US Senators, not the members of the House of Representatives. House members were always popularly elected; they were supposed to be closest to the people.

Maybe we should consider increasing the size of the House. It is not set in the constitution, and it has been changed in the past. The number of people in each congressional district has been inexorably rising as the size of the House was fixed at 435, and maybe Representatives are getting too far from the people.

Right! I knew this. Good catch.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

I agree that it doesn't translate 100% but it's IMO one of the closest private sector careers that one can have. I'd rather a business man than a lawyer.

Totally agreed on McMahon.

I'm still a Schiff fan and wish he would throw his hat in the ring, if for anything to stir things up and make people think from a constitutional libertarian mindset. While some Libertarians can be moonbats, even the wacky ones still make people think from a foreign angle in today's political climate.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I agree that it doesn't translate 100% but it's IMO one of the closest private sector careers that one can have. I'd rather a business man than a lawyer.

Totally agreed on McMahon.

I'm still a Schiff fan and wish he would throw his hat in the ring, if for anything to stir things up and make people think from a constitutional libertarian mindset.
I signed a petition for Schiff last time. But realistically, I don't think he stands a snowball's chance in hell.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I'd rather a business man than a lawyer.
My father's definition of a lawyer: A lawyer borrows your watch to tell you what time it is and then keeps the watch.

No more lawyers. Agreed.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:50 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
It's official. Linda 2012!!!!!

Republican Linda McMahon Announces U.S. Senate Bid; 2nd Try In 2 Years - Courant.com

Old 09-20-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Just because she's running doesn't mean she'll get the nomination. IF she gets the nomination, the .000001% of faith I have in the state Republican's just got flushed.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Can I ask why you're so supportive of her? What about her platform/accomplishments or person impresses you so much?

I am glad Chris Shays is in the race and would likely vote for him, but I am not so excited that I am posting links to stories about him...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut