Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:16 PM

718 posts, read 761,875 times

Advertisements

Bought a car from a used car dealership about 2.5 years ago, I purchased an extended warranty with them with the car. 4 months ago, I sold that car and canceled the warranty and looking to get a refund for the remainder of the warranty, a little over 5 hundred dollars.

During the 4 months they have been giving me the run around, each time I called, they will say I will get my refund in a couple of weeks, and still nothing. They are not even returning my calls now.

Before I bring them to small claims court, what else can I do or what gov't agencies I can contact that can resolve this for me before I sue them?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 09:09 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,627,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
Bought a car from a used car dealership about 2.5 years ago, I purchased an extended warranty with them with the car. 4 months ago, I sold that car and canceled the warranty and looking to get a refund for the remainder of the warranty, a little over 5 hundred dollars.

During the 4 months they have been giving me the run around, each time I called, they will say I will get my refund in a couple of weeks, and still nothing. They are not even returning my calls now.

Before I bring them to small claims court, what else can I do or what gov't agencies I can contact that can resolve this for me before I sue them?

Thanks,
Say what? A refund?

I've never heard of such a thing.. but then again, I don't buy many used cars.

Was there something in the agreement that said you could get a refund?

Old 09-18-2011, 09:14 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Are you sure the agreement explicitly stated you could get a refund? I've heard about that in a few cases (usually it's shadier warranty companies), but usually it's not the case.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:52 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
You're not going to see a refund on a warranty purchased on a used car. In CT it went into effect 60 days after purchase. You may have a prorate paragraph, but thats for new cars only. The dealership has no responsibility to you after 2.5 years of ownership. The warranty company most likely noted that the VIN is no longer in your name. It would have been a selling point to the new owner that it had a transferrable warranty and you would have gotten more money on the selling price of it.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:49 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
Was the warranty given through the dealership or a third party company being SOLD by the dealership? I'd be surprised if the dealership actually offered it.

Either way, as was noted most are transferable and that brings value to the resale of the car. Some will refund at a pro-rated amount.

We purchased an extended warranty on our old Sonata as we purchased it with 5K miles which "technically" made it "used" and therefore eliminated the 10Y/100K bumper to bumper so we purchased an additional plan to put it back into place.

When we sold the vehicle, it was a great selling point to say "it's covered bumper to bumper for another 40K miles".

I think you might be harassing the wrong people here. Read your paperwork and find print.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:20 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
When we sold the vehicle, it was a great selling point to say "it's covered bumper to bumper for another 40K miles".
I always thought a warranty was void once the title is changed.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I always thought a warranty was void once the title is changed.
Nah, many are transferable. They follow the car vs. the title/registrant. I've bought several cars with warranties, including my current.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:36 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Nah, many are transferable. They follow the car vs. the title/registrant. I've bought several cars with warranties, including my current.
Interesting. I never had extended warranties so don't know much about them.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:09 AM

718 posts, read 761,875 times
Guys,

It's correct that the warranty is through a third party, the dealership is just the middleman, selling the service, making payments or refunds.

I checked the contract and even called the warranty provider to confirm that I'm indeed entitled to a refund for the remainder of the warranty at a prorated amount. It doesn't matter the car is used or not.

The customer rep for the warranty provider even told me they send out a check to the dealership long time ago.

The Dealership is just shady. Now back to my original question, what else can I do or what gov't agencies can I contact to get this resolved before I take the dealership to small claims court.

Thanks,

Old 09-19-2011, 10:13 AM

File a complaint on BBB.org.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut