Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 01:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,985 times

Advertisements

hello everyone,

im new to the forum,my name is donny i live,work and from brooklyn ny and im looking to start over.i've lived here in Brooklyn all of my life and im watching every boro turn into mahattan and i want to get out before its too late.is stamford ct a good place to move to,keeping in mind,crime rate,culture,diversity, and things (shopping,bowling,movies,racing etc) to do for a young 20's couple along with pricing city wide.are there any good city or state jobs and if so,how do i go about applying,i will be moving with my girlfriend so nursing jobs will also be on the radar....as far as apartments go, are there any good ones around town for decent prices (around 900 - 1400 a month) pretty much i need a full detailed description of stamford and any other good surrounding places within a 1hr to 2hr drive from ny.

p.s. i have no children yet so im not that worried about schools yet thank you for all of your input and please be honest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 09:26 AM

21,744 posts, read 28,070,632 times
If you don't like the fact that Brooklyn is becoming more like Manhattan, then you're going to hate Stamford. Just saying. It's the epitome of a gentrified city, with plenty of wealth and not much character. Lots of new office parks, very modern, nice mall/shops. It's a good city - safe, convenient location, good demographic, but it's a Manhattan satellite city at the end of the day. Nightlife is definitely there, but limited. Also, for your price range you're going to be looking at an older apartment - probably a studio or 1BR.

Maybe you're looking for something more like New Haven. It has a more character than Stamford, is less expensive and feels more like a real city. Downtown has been gentrified a bit, but it still maintains a unique character. Lots of nightlife and things to do for a young couple. The only warning is there are very dangerous neighborhoods to avoid, much more dangerous than any neighborhood in Stamford. Those include The Hill, Dixwell Ave, Newhallville and Fair Haven. But New Haven also has more culture and diversity than Stamford. As long as you stay away from those neighborhoods you should be fine, especially after living in Brooklyn all your life. One nice thing is that your girlfriend will have tons of access to nursing jobs. The biggest and best hospital in the state is there (Yale New Haven), along with several other hospitals nearby: Griffin, St. Raphael, Milford Hospital, Bridgeport Hospital, St. Vincent's, etc.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:53 AM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
I am not sure what type of apartment you will find in Stamford for $900 but it won't be much. Stamford is one of the most expensive parts of the country. I agree with mkiv808 that you might want to check another city. Keep in mind that Connecticut is not New York so you won't be finding a lot of things you may take for granted there. Here it is quieter and there is less things to do and experience. Jay

Old 09-19-2011, 12:03 PM

184 posts, read 292,262 times
I'd have to agree with mkiv808 on the gentrification aspect. I also understand where you are coming from on the desire to leave Brooklyn.

Stamford has many jobs, but feels like a cross between a very small city and a very suburban area. The downtown was mostly paved over and redeveloped, and the neighborhoods outside it are largely suburban in character. There are at least parts of it that are more walkable, though, especially around the new Fairway Supermarket, which is more than you can say than just about any other place in CT (save New Haven and central West Hartford). In terms of the huge bicycling scene that you find in Brooklyn though - there aren't any places in CT that have that except for New Haven.

Unfortunately, Stamford has many commuters so doesn't have the same "local culture" that you'd find in a larger, more self contained city such as Brooklyn, New Haven or even Hartford. It's definitely sleepier with less to do, in part because that "local culture" tends to move around to other areas throughout the suburbs or is exported to NYC.

Brooklyn is much more like New Haven than Stamford. In New Haven, you'll find things that resemble a lot of what you find in Brooklyn - art galleries, fashion designers, stroller groups, interesting bars with bespoke cocktails, numerous different farmer's markets with local musicians every weekend, dozens of different coffee shops (some of which can rival Blue Bottle..well, almost), a very large bicycling scene, etc. There is a large food coop opening in downtown New Haven next month, plus many other food markets. Although some of the suburb-centric posters on this site may argue the point, it is a place you can easily live without a car if you choose to do so. There are many ex-Brooklynites who live there because they find it has similar characteristics. Similar to what you find in other nearby urban places such as West Hartford, parts of Hartford, Providence, Philadelphia, etc. New Haven is a much easier drive to NYC than any of those places though. Check it out. In addition to these, you might also look at some of the smaller cities in upstate NY.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:06 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
LOL Going from Brooklyn to Stamford for peace of mind is like drinking vodka because the whiskey is getting a bit too much.

If you really want "peace of mind" (Very subjective thing) I guess New Haven is good for you, but really you should get out of the Brooklyn bubble for a bit and see what life outside of there is really like before you jump.

My vote for you is Jersey City.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:26 AM

2 posts, read 4,985 times
i appreciate all of your aspects and opinion about stamford,i really don't mind the transition from fast city life to a slower pace suburbia scene.trust me people im ready for the change and i can always drive HOME HOME if i really miss the atmosphere.i hear alot of good things about it and seeing it with my own eyes (today) i can really see us moving there long term...P.S. I HAVE LIVED IN WAY MORE COUNTRY LIKE SETTINGS PA FOR EXAMPLE FOR A YR so i know slow pace when i see it. i will check out new haven as well........please ask more questions and feel free to voice more opinions

Old 09-20-2011, 08:04 AM

22 posts, read 61,403 times
Donny... While Stamford would be a good transition city for you, you're way underbugeted for a decent apt. Before wasting too much time, go to craigslist and check out possibilities. Incidentally, there are three hospitals in the area, Stamford, Greenwich, and Norwalk... not as robust as New Haven. If you're looking for government jobs, you might want to consider Hartford.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:46 AM

21,744 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donny_p View Post
i appreciate all of your aspects and opinion about stamford,i really don't mind the transition from fast city life to a slower pace suburbia scene.trust me people im ready for the change and i can always drive HOME HOME if i really miss the atmosphere.i hear alot of good things about it and seeing it with my own eyes (today) i can really see us moving there long term...P.S. I HAVE LIVED IN WAY MORE COUNTRY LIKE SETTINGS PA FOR EXAMPLE FOR A YR so i know slow pace when i see it. i will check out new haven as well........please ask more questions and feel free to voice more opinions
Depending on how slow you're willing to get I would also check out Fairfield, Black Rock and Milford. They are more suburban but still have some decent nightlife and things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut