Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 01:59 AM

5 posts, read 10,546 times

Advertisements

Hi guys first post,

I'm moving to Stamford from Texas (originally from upstate NY) and have been looking at a couple apartments and need some advise.

I was looking at the Lofts at Yale & Towne and Avalon on Stamford Harbor. I have some questions for anyone who has lived at these places or know the area well. Here are some things I'm looking for-

-Are these in a safe area? I see they are only about a mile and a half apart so is there one nicer than the other? I read the area is "up and coming" has it came up yet?

-My roommate will have a car and I will be taking the train to NYC for work. Can I walk to the train station or do I rely on the free shuttle which I believe each apt has?

-How is the nightlife around there? Is there a strip of bars/clubs close to go out on weekends that's popular for mid 20's singles?

-How are the winters in Stamford? (I'm used to the Rochester, NY winters but my roommate is a Texan)

-Any other apts you recommend? We need a 2 bedroom around $2000-2500 per month

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 10:02 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Check Realtor.com for other apartment options.

They are in relatively safe areas, however if you're female - I wouldn't recommend walking around there at night to the train station and whatnot. If you find a place north of 95, it's a bit safer at night.

Nightlife is mostly around Bedford Street. There's probably about a dozen good bars/clubs in Stamford.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:58 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Stamford is not as cold as Rochester but it does get some cold weather during the winter months.

I agree the two complexes you are looking at are safe. You might do a search on this forum for information on Yale & Towne since there was a thread on it a while back. Jay

Old 09-19-2011, 05:58 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,870,070 times
If safety is a high priority, look at apartment complexes that are north of the train station.

Yale&Towne is in an area that is still rough. The Avalon complex on Southfield is also surrounded by some rough streets.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:03 PM

Great thanks for the info guys. My roommate is female and will be working in Tarrytown, NY, I'm male and will be taking the train. What are some apartments that are north of i95 that you would recommend? I like the idea of the free shuttle to the train station, do many complexes offer this?

Old 09-20-2011, 02:15 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
If safety is a high priority, look at apartment complexes that are north of the train station.

Yale&Towne is in an area that is still rough. The Avalon complex on Southfield is also surrounded by some rough streets.
You are right about the Avalon complex on Southfield. I am not sure what I was thinking about when I said it was safe. Definitely think twice about this one. As for Yale & Towne, I think the area is improving but you are right that the area is transitional and is not as safe as north of I-95. Jay

Old 09-20-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You are right about the Avalon complex on Southfield. I am not sure what I was thinking about when I said it was safe. Definitely think twice about this one.
The immediate area is actually fine. But, as you move north toward the train station, it gets a bit nasty. Definitely not walkable to the Stamford station. It would be possible to walk to the OG train station, but it's a bit of a hike.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:11 PM

Hmm how about the Newfield Terrace Apartments? I can't find any reviews on them. Are they considered North of I 95? Good area?

Old 09-20-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkeen View Post
Hmm how about the Newfield Terrace Apartments? I can't find any reviews on them. Are they considered North of I 95? Good area?
Great area. However, the location is car-dependent. And, the apartments are old(and probably outdated).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut