Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:07 AM

52 posts, read 124,060 times

Advertisements

Dec38- I sent you a pm but not sure if you got it. How have you liked living in Stamford? How has it been with a young child? Have people been welcoming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 11:05 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec38 View Post
I may be mistaken but my understanding is that although a magnet school, there are parts of Stamford that are in fact districted for Westover elementary. I am districted for the Hart school, for example, even though Hart is also a magnet school.

I agree that the area of town the school is located in does not necessarily predict the quality of the school. Stamford does not follow a strict "neighborhood" school pattern. Kids living in poorer areas of Stamford may be districted to schools in North Stamford, for example.
This to me is one of the problems with living in a larger city. You never know where your child will be sent to go to school. The cities are always moving kids around to meet certain criteria for performance and racial balance. Sorry but I can not see putting a 6 year old on a bus and shipping him/her across town when there is a school one block from their home. Guess thats why I do not live in a large city. Jay

Old 09-22-2011, 11:47 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,212 times
I don't live there, but two coworkers of mine do and they actually both send their kids to private school...probably not what you wanted to hear, but those are the only two I know who live in stamford...

Old 01-15-2012, 11:56 AM

I wanted to see if there were any new folks who had any insights into Stamford schools. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thoughts on how they compare to White Plains, which is similar in terms of population?

Old 01-15-2012, 06:43 PM

17 posts, read 46,310 times
I work in the Stamford schools. What would you like to know? It's diverse. It's not your typical suburban district. PM me with questions!

Old 01-15-2012, 08:38 PM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs100 View Post
I wanted to see if there were any new folks who had any insights into Stamford schools. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thoughts on how they compare to White Plains, which is similar in terms of population?
Having experience with both districts I can tell you that they are quite similar, I would generally say decent but a "mixed bag" compared to neighboring towns and places in-between. They are not similar in population though; White Plains has about 50K residents, Stamford about 125K, though Stamford is a bit more "spread out" but is still a bigger school district.

Property taxes will be lower in Stamford however (though you will also pay a smaller but noteworthy property tax on your car, which you won't in White Plains (or more accurately, in NY it is hidden into your 2-year registration renewal but is still much lower than the "car tax" in CT you pay annually).

Old 01-16-2012, 11:57 AM

7 Wishes- Thanks for the info. Although there are similarities, I have heard a lot of people being happy with White Plains schools, and I have not heard the same about Stamford. I understand there are so many more people in Stamford, and many send their kids to private school, but it is not clear to me how the quality of the education is in Stamford. Any thoughts?

Old 01-18-2012, 11:48 AM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs100 View Post
7 Wishes- Thanks for the info. Although there are similarities, I have heard a lot of people being happy with White Plains schools, and I have not heard the same about Stamford. I understand there are so many more people in Stamford, and many send their kids to private school, but it is not clear to me how the quality of the education is in Stamford. Any thoughts?
I think that's because White Plains goes more on the "neighborhood" model and does much less busing than Stamford. In WP, at least for elementary (since there's only 1 HS and I'm not sure about the MS) if you live in the "nice" neighborhoods near Harrison, you go to the "nice" schools.

BTW, as I know a lot about it too, if you're thinking about Norwalk as well, it's very similar to Stamford in that regard, just a little smaller (and a tiny bit bigger than White Plains). Also my impression is that Norwalk is a "poorer" district (not so much in demographics as in resources) than Stamford.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:10 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,585 times
I work at West Hill quite a bit over the winter, while I'm not there during school hours (sports referee), I can tell you that is a school that never sleeps. The amount of extracurriculars - academic and athletic - is astounding and the kids that I deal with are great kids, many of whom get into impressive schools (last year alone I could think of Dartmouth and USC). I never feel threatened there and have found all the kids very respectful of the school.

Stamford is definitely a mixed bag which I think is a cool thing. I'd rather my kid experience kids from all walks of life rather than the same background. That's just my opinion, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut