Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 04:15 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,695,036 times

Advertisements

I am planning on getting a new car soon and have been informed that there exists a place known as Car Max. if you're not the type who is comfortable haggling with a dealer, you set the amount you want to spend and Car Max shows you what's in stock. I notice there is only one in my "area" and I'm in Riverdale The Bronx, NY, and the only Car Max dealer is in E Haven

just curious how far is E Haven from the New Haven Metro North station if i was to go up there from GCT? I know New Haven is about 70 miles from here and E Haven must be even more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 09:17 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
You are better off driving up. It's not a bad drive as long as you don't come up during the late afternoon rush hour. On a weekend it's usually painless. If you take the train, you're going from Riverdale, down to GCT, then back to New Haven, then a taxi to Carmax. There's no train station in East Haven. The first stop on the station that goes east after New Haven is Branford, and that's past East Haven. Either way, you're looking at a nearly 3 hour trip when you could do it in a little over an hour by car.

I will say Carmax isn't that special. It feels like the Walmart of used car lots. There's a ton of cars. I'm usually unimpressed with their cleanliness on the lot. I guess they clean them up if you buy them, who knows. The no-haggle policy is kind of BS and they're already priced over what you could haggle any dealer to. Their pricing might be marginally better than some franchised dealerships, but those dealerships also offer CPO warranties and whatnot.

It's really not worth your trip. The only thing Carmax has done for me has been to allow me or my friends/family to sit in and get a feel for a wide variety of cars. Of course, Napoli in Milford allows for the same thing and it's indoor and closer to you.

The advice I give most people I know is to figure out the car you want, and then try and buy one certified used from a franchised dealer (IE: buy a certified Honda from a Honda dealership). That way you get the extended warranty and save on the depreciation all at once. NEVER pay asking. There's always at least a few grand in wiggle room. Be prepared to walk out if they don't budge on the price. It's not that hard.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:03 AM

Default thanks for the info

my mom passed last month and now i am parentless so i will be doing this all on my own. i still have my old car and haven't made plans yet for a new one. if you have the time and like giving advice re new car purchase feel free to DM me. as i say i am the worst bargainer there is so i could use some advice

i don't have anyone in the area who could drive my car back from Conn so sounds like Car Max would be out

Old 09-23-2011, 08:14 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
my mom passed last month and now i am parentless so i will be doing this all on my own. i still have my old car and haven't made plans yet for a new one. if you have the time and like giving advice re new car purchase feel free to DM me. as i say i am the worst bargainer there is so i could use some advice

i don't have anyone in the area who could drive my car back from Conn so sounds like Car Max would be out
They will buy literally any car, just so you know.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:55 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
The key to buying a car is to know what the price should be for the vehicle you want. There are many websites to help you. Check Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book for information on this. Also do not let the salesman push you around. Their job is to get as much money out of you as possible so watch everything very closely.

As for going to Carmax all the way in East Haven, I see no need to do that. Figure out what type of car you want and search the internet. I got a much better deal on a car in New York than here in Connecticut saving thousands of $$$. Go right to nearby dealers who carry the brand you are looking for. People often trade in good cars to update to a newer model when coming off lease. Also check Consumer Reports car edition to find recommendations for used cars to buy and the ones to avoid. Good luck, Jay

Old 09-23-2011, 10:05 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,427,612 times
Quote:
I am planning on getting a new car soon and have been informed that there exists a place known as Car Max. if you're not the type who is comfortable haggling with a dealer, you set the amount you want to spend and Car Max shows you what's in stock. I notice there is only one in my "area" and I'm in Riverdale The Bronx, NY, and the only Car Max dealer is in E Haven

just curious how far is E Haven from the New Haven Metro North station if i was to go up there from GCT? I know New Haven is about 70 miles from here and E Haven must be even more
I live right near the Carmax - it is right on I-95 northbound about 4 miles from the train station in New Haven - a short cab ride for you. I believe if you find a car you like at another Carmax they will have it shipped to that location. A neighbor of mine did this last year. But there is a charge for doing so, of course. I wonder if you talk to them if they would be nice enough to have an employee pick you up at the train station - they sure have enough cars on hand to use. Worth a try in this economy.

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2011, 10:19 AM

Default thanks all of you

i forgot to tell you i would do this only if i didn't take my mother's car or my brother's car (part of the court estate process) until i know what we're going to do i won't be considering a new car as of yet

where is Carmax that around exit 51 or so? I had neighbors who moved to Branford at exit 54 and i recall Yale is at exit 47, so i guess E Haven must between those two points

Old 09-24-2011, 02:26 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,427,612 times
Quote:
i forgot to tell you i would do this only if i didn't take my mother's car or my brother's car (part of the court estate process) until i know what we're going to do i won't be considering a new car as of yet

where is Carmax that around exit 51 or so? I had neighbors who moved to Branford at exit 54 and i recall Yale is at exit 47, so i guess E Haven must between those two points
Sorry for your recent loss. My neighbor, who ended up buying a used car at Carmax, also lost her mother very suddenly last summer (went in for routine surgery, if there is such a thing, and never left the hospital). Her life was in terrible shape, then her car died suddenly and had to be replaced, she had to move, etc. But now finally a year later things are turning around for her; hope you are as lucky.

Carmax is directly across the I-95 highway from McDermott Chevrolet and is at exit 51. I hope to buy my next car new, but have heard it is good to look at 3 or 4-year-old models of the car you are interested in to see how they hold up over time. If do come to New Haven by train, there are usually cabs at the train station; if not, their local phone number is 203-777-7777.

Good luck and hope things get better for you.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:21 PM

Default thanks so much

I'm no stranger to Conn; i went to UB from 80-82 and should have never transferred. I sometimes go to to Sherwood Island Beach despite the hefty out of state fee. When i was working on my master's i did research projects in Stratford, Derby, S Windsor. Connecticut is different than other places outside NY like NJ which seems more like NY.

thanks for sharing. if i don't take mom's RAV 4 or my brother's car i will kep Carmax in mind

thanks for sharing, so far i'm taking it OK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut