Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 05:39 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,846 times

Advertisements

Non-Profit Research Institute to Build $1.1 Billion Lab at UConn's Farmington Campus - Courant.com

A bit of positive new for the area. A new personalized medicine / genetics research lab will be built at the UConn Health Center. Roughly 661 research jobs to be added.

Wonder how long this will take to build and start making a difference in the economy. Hopefully attracting this facility will open the eyes of other labs and institutions to the attractive bio-science environment we have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 06:49 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,696 times
I saw this as well; nice piece of news for a change! I hear talk of a NE "research triangle" it will be interesting indeed to see something like that happen.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:02 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
This is good news for greater Hartford. This is why Molloy is wanting to rebuild the UConn Medical Center. Jay

Old 09-30-2011, 06:28 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
"The project would be financed by $809 million provided by Jackson through federal grants, philanthropy and service income. The state would provide $291 million, including $192 million in a secured construction loan and $99 million in support of research. The lab would be on state land, but it's unclear whether the state would donate the land or give Jackson a long-term lease."
I don't know, it seems like a government funded project from soup to nuts. Projects that are based on, built by and rely on government funding concern me as they are not stand alone companies but rely on the taxpayers to survive.

What happens if federal funding gets cut? (We ARE BROKE btw) Are they going to cut bait and leave a white elephant behind on state land? Are they going to go to the state with their hand out to "save jobs"?

It's nice to see development, but I'd prefer to see private industry investing in the area and not government funded "non profits".

Old 09-30-2011, 06:54 AM

337 posts, read 1,023,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
"The project would be financed by $809 million provided by Jackson through federal grants, philanthropy and service income. The state would provide $291 million, including $192 million in a secured construction loan and $99 million in support of research. The lab would be on state land, but it's unclear whether the state would donate the land or give Jackson a long-term lease."
I don't know, it seems like a government funded project from soup to nuts. Projects that are based on, built by and rely on government funding concern me as they are not stand alone companies but rely on the taxpayers to survive.

What happens if federal funding gets cut? (We ARE BROKE btw) Are they going to cut bait and leave a white elephant behind on state land? Are they going to go to the state with their hand out to "save jobs"?

It's nice to see development, but I'd prefer to see private industry investing in the area and not government funded "non profits".
It seems to me that government and private industry are intimately tied together these days.

First off, Jackson is a massive player in the scientific industry and I don't expect that they wouldn't be able to repay those loans. They aren't a niche unproven company like Tesla Motors.

Second, the state already spends money to support research so it isn't stepping outside of its role here. It's simply providing research grants, just like it does to various organizations through its $100 million stem cell program.

Third, the federal government provides research dollars in the same way. It's not going out of its way to fund Jackson Labs--many large private research institutions are funded partially out of federal research grants from the NIH and other agencies.

I'm glad that the Bioscience plan is working out as planned so far. We need more high-paying science jobs to replace the disappearing manufacturing jobs we used to provide.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:22 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
It seems to me that government and private industry are intimately tied together these days.

First off, Jackson is a massive player in the scientific industry and I don't expect that they wouldn't be able to repay those loans. They aren't a niche unproven company like Tesla Motors.

Second, the state already spends money to support research so it isn't stepping outside of its role here. It's simply providing research grants, just like it does to various organizations through its $100 million stem cell program.

Third, the federal government provides research dollars in the same way. It's not going out of its way to fund Jackson Labs--many large private research institutions are funded partially out of federal research grants from the NIH and other agencies.

I'm glad that the Bioscience plan is working out as planned so far. We need more high-paying science jobs to replace the disappearing manufacturing jobs we used to provide.
That's all great, but it doesn't change that it's funded by a bankrupt federal government and an in-the-red state government.

BTW a lot of those "disappearing manufacturing jobs" in CT were also "solid" government subsidized jobs.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:36 AM

337 posts, read 1,023,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
That's all great, but it doesn't change that it's funded by a bankrupt federal government and an in-the-red state government.

BTW a lot of those "disappearing manufacturing jobs" in CT were also "solid" government subsidized jobs.
I guess that's an ideological difference we have. I firmly believe that just because we are in the red doesn't mean we should stop investing, but that we should invest smarter. I think this is a smart investment, since we will most likely remain leaders in science for a long time. China and India have lots of money but not the culture or infrastructure for scientific innovation. Manufacturing is not a smart investment since the overall industry is fading in this country.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:15 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Great news. This is new economy growth and just what our state needs to start focusing on.

Where are all the ex-residents who are so "concerned" about every layoff? So concerned that they start new discussions and comment immediately? Shouldn't they be in here cheering this news?

Last edited by mlassoff; 09-30-2011 at 08:34 AM..

Old 09-30-2011, 08:16 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
China and India have lots of money but not the culture or infrastructure for scientific innovation.
Dont believe it. It's changing as I'm typing this response. China graduates ~1 million engineers every year. They will, in the not to distant future, be in the lead.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:18 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Where are all the ex-residents who are so "concerned" about every layoff? So concerned that they start new discussions and comment immediately? Shouldn't they be in here cheering this news?
One would think they would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut