Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:04 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Now to answer your questions...I agree with the comments about price usually being the issue, but I have also noticed there is a lot more inventory these days which allows buyers to be choosier so a house that might be slightly outdated will sit longer today than it would have back in 07. I don't think you can base your future selling potential on what is happening in the market today, unless you have a crystal ball, no one can say for certain where the housing market will be in 5 years.

Also, you are not ready to buy a house. Continue to rent.
Whoa, fantastic advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 08:13 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I agree that it has a lot to do with price, but I think that timing is an issue, too. Not "timing" in the sense of it being a seller's market or a strong economy, but also the time of the season.

We knew that we'd be moving at the end of August or early September. We put our house on the market right at the beginning of the season, in early March.

We also weren't sure that this was a true real estate slump, so we priced it too high. (We had hoped to get our money back from the kitchen remodel. Little did we know that we wouldn't even get back the price that we paid for the house in 2007, never mind the kitchen costs! But that's a whole other sob story.)

We had a TON of viewings. A TON! But no offers. We continually dropped our price. Still no offers. Finally, we got an offer -- which we negotiated and took -- in early August. So, the house had been on the market for about 150 days.

What I noticed, however, is that during our March through July "oh my God, we're NEVER going to sell our house" scare, that nobody else was getting their house sold either. Not that that felt better, but still... It was just an odd time, with almost nobody being able to sell their house.

Fast forward to August... we got an offer, two other houses in our neighborhood got offers, things started moving. I kept an eye on it and a lot more sales were happening than through the spring and summer.

Whether buyers were hedging their bets, whether the school year was starting soon and they wanted to get settled before the kids were starting school, whether one sale dominoed into others, whether the slight decrease in inventory was making people scared that the house that they liked (but hadn't put an offer in for) was going to be snatched up... who knows? But the end of the season seemed to be a HUGE difference from the beginning and middle of it.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:24 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
but I have also noticed there is a lot more inventory these days which allows buyers to be choosier so a house that might be slightly outdated will sit longer today than it would have back in 07.
More inventory = lower prices.

Outdated house = less value.

It's still ALL about price.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:42 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
You can use this link to search for data by town... Market Statistics

Here's a nice detailed Second Quarter Report: 3rd quarter should be out soon.

Connecticut CT Real Estate Market Report: Prudential Connecticut Realty

Pending Sales:
The largest increases were found in the Litchfield and Hartford counties at 24% and 16%,

Current Inventory
The time it took to sell off inventory, including those homes under contract at the time, remained relatively unchanged for the second quarter of 2011. When compared to the first quarter of 2011, single family homes and condominiums remained static with 11.7 months and 10 months of unsold inventory. In the second quarter of 2010, homes sold in 8 to 9 months. This represents an increase of 32% for single family and 10% for condominiums, and indicates that despite the higher amount of pending sales recorded, more listings remain available year to year.

Days on Market
With lower closed sales thus far in 2011, it has taken longer to sell a home this year. The average number of days to sell a single family home has increased to just over 158 days, up 8% from last year. The same held true for condominium sales, now taking an average of 168 days to sell with an increase of 3.6% over last year.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:44 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Keep in mind... "current inventory" means if NO OTHER homes come onto the market, it will take that long to sell everything. I think at one point in 2007 that number was like 2 months. lol

Old 10-12-2011, 12:11 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I agree that it has a lot to do with price, but I think that timing is an issue, too. Not "timing" in the sense of it being a seller's market or a strong economy, but also the time of the season.

We knew that we'd be moving at the end of August or early September. We put our house on the market right at the beginning of the season, in early March.

We also weren't sure that this was a true real estate slump, so we priced it too high. (We had hoped to get our money back from the kitchen remodel. Little did we know that we wouldn't even get back the price that we paid for the house in 2007, never mind the kitchen costs! But that's a whole other sob story.)

We had a TON of viewings. A TON! But no offers. We continually dropped our price. Still no offers. Finally, we got an offer -- which we negotiated and took -- in early August. So, the house had been on the market for about 150 days.

What I noticed, however, is that during our March through July "oh my God, we're NEVER going to sell our house" scare, that nobody else was getting their house sold either. Not that that felt better, but still... It was just an odd time, with almost nobody being able to sell their house.

Fast forward to August... we got an offer, two other houses in our neighborhood got offers, things started moving. I kept an eye on it and a lot more sales were happening than through the spring and summer.

Whether buyers were hedging their bets, whether the school year was starting soon and they wanted to get settled before the kids were starting school, whether one sale dominoed into others, whether the slight decrease in inventory was making people scared that the house that they liked (but hadn't put an offer in for) was going to be snatched up... who knows? But the end of the season seemed to be a HUGE difference from the beginning and middle of it.

Maybe everybody figured out what you did..the price was too high...its all about price now....All of it. You were actually lucky to get anything even close to 2007 prices.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Maybe everybody figured out what you did..the price was too high...its all about price now....All of it. You were actually lucky to get anything even close to 2007 prices.
Actually, we didn't get anything close to what we paid for it in 2007. But we were very happy to just get the thing sold. Two mortgages did NOT feel good, in any way, shape, or form.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:23 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Actually, we didn't get anything close to what we paid for it in 2007. But we were very happy to just get the thing sold. Two mortgages did NOT feel good, in any way, shape, or form.
No it doesn't. Full time daycare for two kids is indeed a second mortgage.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
No it doesn't. Full time daycare for two kids is indeed a second mortgage.
I bet! And we only had a few months of it. You've got... oh, I'll shut up now.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:08 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Same here..we bought in Charlotte in 07 and were just thrilled to sell the thing this year. We feel lucky to have even sold it..how crazy is that? Lots of inventory here. I was telling someone this year the buyers used me like a punching bag. Next year its MY turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut