Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 11:23 AM

13 posts, read 14,912 times

Advertisements

We are getting closer.
My husbands company has found its property in Branfords Business Park, directly at the I95 exit.
With your help we have evaluated various towns and villages along the coast line from Branford up to East Lyme. And we found there basically dozens of fitting houses to choose from.
According google maps any of these is doable in a max 30 min commute BUT apparently google does not consider the early morning traffic situation.
How bad is it?
My hubby does not like to commute more than half an hour (in average) each morning.
I am pretty sure that Guilford/Madison is not an issue but we are not that certain about Old Saybrook/Essex and of course East Lyme is probably a bit of a stretch.
What are you experiences with this part of the I95 ?
Thanx in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 12:26 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Traffic really starts to build after Branford in East Haven/New Haven. There will be volume but it certainly won't be gridlock.

Essex to Branford will be 30-40 minutes, so if he wants to keep it under 30, look into Guilford or Madison, or better yet, Branford.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:34 PM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavy View Post
We are getting closer.
According google maps any of these is doable in a max 30 min commute BUT apparently google does not consider the early morning traffic situation.
How bad is it?
My hubby does not like to commute more than half an hour (in average) each morning.
I am pretty sure that Guilford/Madison is not an issue but we are not that certain about Old Saybrook/Essex and of course East Lyme is probably a bit of a stretch.
What are you experiences with this part of the I95 ?
Thanx in advance
Leavy, save this link. When you're all settled in it will come handy. Department of Transportation - click on "traffic" then find the I-95 section you are looking for.

Best of luck with everything. Hope the transfer is smooth for you guys.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:10 PM

723 posts, read 1,004,678 times
Smile Pick Madison

I think considering all of your needs that Madison is your best overall choice; or possibly Essex. I would say Old Saybrook as it's beauty is really unsurpassed in terms of nature. It was recently ranked the top small town in CT; last year's rankings in CT magazine. I don't think it will be sophisticated enough for you that is why I would choose Madison. I think culturally Madison would be the best fit. the school stuff will all work out and it would be great for your daughter to be exposed to Spanish as it is widely spoken here and that is only increasing. Old Saybrook is only a short drive from Madison; so you can still take advantage of the many things it has to offer.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:39 AM

13 posts, read 14,912 times
Hi guys, thanks again, right now Madison is our favourite, but Guilford and Essex and Old Saybrook are still on our mind.
We are planning to come over for about 2 weeks directly after christmas. We want to look at some houses and schools and hopefully nail down something.
Does anybody have a recommandation for a place to stay ? Could be a hotel or a vacation home ! Last time we stayed close New Haven and had a hard time to find a hotel where you could open a window ( I don´t like air condition during night time, because I´m not used to it, it always gives me a cold and I need some fresh air ) We would like to be at a smaller and if possible not so expensive place. Do you know something ???

Old 12-02-2011, 06:53 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavy View Post
Does anybody have a recommandation for a place to stay ? Could be a hotel or a vacation home ! Last time we stayed close New Haven and had a hard time to find a hotel where you could open a window ( I don´t like air condition during night time, because I´m not used to it, it always gives me a cold and I need some fresh air )
If you are coming in January, which is winter, I doubt you'll want to open your window. There will be no need for air conditioning. But if you still want some fresh air, try a smaller hotel/motel/inn that's not a high rise, and you might have a greater chance of controlling your windows. You can also call and ask if they allow open windows, but in January I don't think they would like that.

There are numerous hotels and inns in the Madison area, here is a sampling:

Madison hotels

Old 12-03-2011, 08:50 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,074 times
Default Nice place to stay

If you like Inns or Bed & Breakfast accommodations, then I would recommend The Bee and Thistle Inn, in Old Lyme. This is a very easy drive to the towns you are looking at. Their rooms and food are quite good, although availability could be a challenge.

Best of luck,
N

Old 12-04-2011, 01:22 AM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Madison still easily under 30 minutes. Essex at or just over. The only traffic will be on Friday afternoons during the summer, when it can get kind of bad going north on 95 with the weekender crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut